Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2002 1:07:58 PM EDT
I have a couple of job offers in California and was wondering what is involved with bringing an AR15 into the state?  Is a special permit required or are they banned outright?  
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 1:13:18 PM EDT
[#1]
You can apply for a permit, but you will not get one.  Leave the AR15 and any other AW as defined under CA law back home, or stay back there with them.  CA is not currently an AW friendly state.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#2]
True, out of state resedents that want to move to CA can apply for a permit to bring there AW with them... I think the permits are issued on a 'may issue' basses.  Has anyone here tryed this and was rejected?
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#3]
California law also allows the issuance of machinegun permits to private citizens.  They are rarely issued without either political influence or a long court fight.
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:04:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, the offers are from large California law firms, so maybe that'll help.  Thanks for the heads up, I wasn't sure what I was walking into.  Now I gotta fight the system!  Who knows, you might hear about me in the papers and the ban will be loosened!
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 5:07:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks Dave_G,
I was wondering how the permit system worked.  If you get a MG/AW permit dose that mean you can buy those types of weapons and keep them after the permit has expired?  Do the permits expire?  Are the permits only needed to buy the weapons, and you can keep them as long as you like?  Or do the permits only allow you to keep those weapons while you are still a permit holder, so as soon as the permit expires you must relinquish your arms to law enforcement.  Thanks
Link Posted: 1/26/2002 7:35:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:03:57 AM EDT
[#7]
a job offer in california!?!?!

man, they couldn't pay me enough to live in the 'republic of california'.

there's no way i'd leave my children (AR's, & HK's) for that crap hole of a state.

that state can fall off the face of the map as far as i'm concerned...and can take those candy asses in hollywood with it!!!

i wish you luck.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Whew!  We're working on getting rid of as many people as possible... we sure as hell don't need any more people.

[:P]
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Troy, where are you getting your information about Machinegun rentals for the movies? I do know that modified full auto weapons are available. Usually the modification is a barrel reducer inserted in the end of the barrel. Not only does it allow only blanks to be used it also creates back pressure which helps cycle the firearm. I don't recall exactly what they are but there are exceptions for firearms used in movie making.
Link Posted: 1/28/2002 11:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Troy is right on the movie bizz.  Stembridge Gun Rentals, the biggest movie gun rental house in the business is only making blanks now.  All the guns were sold off.  Perata made AW rental illegal and a machinegun is a machinegun whether it's modified for use with blanks or not.  The kicker wasn't that the machineguns couldn't be rented.  It was making the rental of the hicap magazines/belts they needed illegal that killed them.  
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 1:34:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2002 3:15:38 PM EDT
[#12]
?????

Ok, watch the movie "Training Day" it was shot in Los Angeles last year, near the end there is a shoot out with "Russian Mobsters." How did they use full auto SBR-AKs? I didn't inspect them but they did throw brass 40-50 feet[8D]

You still could be right, I hear the phrase "Cinematic Immunity" loosely tossed about to justify almost anything. Kinda like "Writers Embellishment" or "Poetic License."
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 2:38:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 9:46:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I don't get it... according to how the law reads, you should be able to get a permit for either a machinegun or assault rifle in CA...  

"2275. This chapter shall be known as the Roberti-Roos Assault Weapons Control Act of 1989.
12275.5. ...It is the intent of the Legislature in enacting this chapter to place restrictions on the use of assault weapons and to establish a registration and permit procedure for their lawful sale and possession...

If the person obtains a permit from the Department of Justice in the same manner as specified in Article 3 (commencing with Section 12230) of Chapter 2, the dealer shall redeliver that assault weapon to the person."

mechinegun permit...
"12230. The Department of Justice may issue permits for the possession, manufacture, and transportation or possession, manufacture, or transportation of machineguns, upon a satisfactory showing that good cause exists for the issuance thereof to the applicant for the permit, but no permit shall be issued to a person who is under 18 years of age."

as far as I now, our house has not voted to stop allowing permits...  But whenever I call the DOJ about getting one of these types of rifles I get the usual answer "no you can not buy that kind of rifle", and from my local dealers I get a "no you can't buy an AR after 2000..."  CA is a complicated state to live in
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/31/2002 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
The permit system is simply there to provide politically-connected insiders with a way to bypass the law...
-Troy
View Quote

It's sad, but I think your right about that.  It would not have been the first time that our reps in sacramento passed a law to benefit them selves.  Our reps banned the use of radar guns on interstate highways .  They also passed a law that forced all police agencies to use black&white police cars for issuing tickets, I donno if that was a bad thing or not...
They gave in to public pressure and unbanned radar guns on interstate highways, but from what I understand it took A LOT of pressure to get them to lift the ban.
As my Administration of Justice teachers said "It's not the police that are the problem, it's those &*#$&*% in sacramento that are the problem..."
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 7:24:27 AM EDT
[#17]
They also passed a law that forced all police agencies to use black&white police cars for issuing tickets
View Quote

I tend to think this is important, since we need to clearly recognize who's pulling you over.  If dick cars were legal, anyone's brother could pull you over with a standard car and flashing red light.  We have the right not to stop if the police vehicle is not recognizable.
Link Posted: 2/5/2002 2:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]
why anybody would want to live in California beats me!
             Bluemax
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes, it's a very un-gun-friendly state....
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 2:40:33 PM EDT
[#20]
The Stembridge Gun Rental inventory was sold primarily through Long Mountain Outfitters.  Some of it is still listed.

Machinegun law did not change in California.  It was the prohibition of sales and rental of high capacity magazines and assault weapons that did them in.  Any studio that had their own armory before the law went into effect was not as significantly impacted as the rental business.  

The permit process is there to circumvent any Second Amendment argument.  They would only issue a permit on the steps of the courthouse after you followed the application process, successfully cleared every hurdle, then sued because they simply denied every non-movie business or politically connected application.  The issuance of the permits prior to hearing in court was to prevent a ruling requiring the DOJ to issue permits on all cases where the applicant was qualified.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
why anybody would want to live in California beats me!
             Bluemax
View Quote

Why don't you talk with Lordtrader?  He might have something to say about it...
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Send the firm that was about to hire you a nice letter saying you will have to turn down the job, as California law strips you of you Second Amendment rights under the Constitution.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 12:55:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I'm pretty sure there are exceptions for "The Biz" I'll do some checking around and see what I can come up with. Certainly the laws could have been made more stringent and hence Steinbridge could have decided to call it quits. I can tell you the AKs used in Training Day were used right on the streets of Los Angeles, by LAX. I'm not too up on AKs but they could have been "Krinkovs," and they had 30 round mags. They were using 220 Swift blanks in them so I don't know if that means they were modified or not. I didn't get to speak with the Weapons Master so I don't know if he owned them or rented them from some where.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:04:14 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Send the firm that was about to hire you a nice letter saying you will have to turn down the job, as California law strips you of you Second Amendment rights under the Constitution.
View Quote

Nice idea, but definately not going to put me in a good stance in NY if they open a position here for me.  The money in CA is what I'd make here without the cost of living of NY!  

Trust me, I'm no west coast fan, NYC is a kickass place to live!
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 6:13:27 AM EDT
[#25]
If the money is worth the move, then it's certainly worth it to store the AR out of state (nevada?) and shoot it on the weekends.  Otherwise, you're pretty much SOL.
Link Posted: 2/13/2002 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm pretty sure there are exceptions for "The Biz" I'll do some checking around and see what I can come up with. Certainly the laws could have been made more stringent and hence Steinbridge could have decided to call it quits. I can tell you the AKs used in Training Day were used right on the streets of Los Angeles, by LAX. I'm not too up on AKs but they could have been "Krinkovs," and they had 30 round mags. They were using 220 Swift blanks in them so I don't know if that means they were modified or not. I didn't get to speak with the Weapons Master so I don't know if he owned them or rented them from some where.
View Quote

I don't know about the law regarding the movie biz but my friend works for a bank that deals with a movie prop shop and last week he saw a whole vault of full auto rifles and machine guns that this place rents out.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 4:25:43 AM EDT
[#27]
You could always ask the guys on the SoCal AR15 list. They have run into Kalifornication legal machinegun owners at their shoots in the hills above LA, they may be able to get you in touch with one of those guys.
[url]http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SOCAL_AR15_Club/[/url]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:13:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:24:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The permits are essentially permission to import (and in the process REGISTER) AWs into the state.  Over the last 25 months that the ban has been in effect, exactly ZERO permits have been approved.  Unless you're one of those $100,000-per-year donors to Davis or Lockyer's re-election campaign, you can forget about it.

It's the same with machine-gun permits, which require STATE (not just local CLEO) approval to buy/transfer.  Even the movie biz machinegun rentals can no longer operate in the PRK, which is one of the reasons so many movies are being made in Canada and Australia now.

-Troy
View Quote

I thought one of the problems was that Kalifornia law (maybe LA county only?) defined renting the guns as "transferring" them, and each high capacity magazine as well.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:18:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
...I thought one of the problems was that Kalifornia law (maybe LA county only?) defined renting the guns as "transferring" them, and each high capacity magazine as well.
View Quote

Not so.  Ranges can rent firearms to customers legally, as long as the customer doesn't walk off the premises with the firearm.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top