Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Time to break up California.

Use the original plan.

View Quote

Which one was that now?...
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:55:07 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm really curious why everyone here seems to think you have to do anything with the brine besides put it right back where it came from?
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:55:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

They are expensive and use a ton of electricity and most places already have enough fresh water.

View Quote

California does not have enough water or electricity. They rejected both plants.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:55:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I'm really curious why everyone here seems to think you have to do anything with the brine besides put it right back where it came from?
View Quote

Do you want salt lake ocean?...

...because that is how you get salt lake ocean
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 9:57:59 AM EDT
[#5]
They definitely should not build a couple of nuclear power plants near the ocean and use desalinators as part of a cooling loop.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:01:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OMG, it would raise the salinity .0000000000000000000000000000001%!!! Well, temporarily until the water they took out evaporated and went back as rain.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:04:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I stopped feeling sorry for California long ago,

They shit in their own bed, let them sleep in it.

View Quote
That would be fine if they actually did that, but they dont.  They are a plague of locusts that just move to a different state and destroy it as well.  Just look at Colorado.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

OMG, it would raise the salinity .0000000000000000000000000000001%!!! Well, temporarily until the water they took out evaporated and went back as rain.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

and or waste water from their treatment plants.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:09:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Let them drink the salt water then.

View Quote

Or let them die of thirst...   their choice!
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#10]
The Kalif Coastal Commission is a partisan commission who is tasked to implement the current sitting governor's vision of what Kalif should be. Global warming and climate change and the environment is the heart of Kalif Gov. highest priority; the desalination plant would dump salty water that is 5X(?) higher than the sea water, thus disturbing the ecological ocean salt balance. Kalif is stuck between a rock and a hard place, no large scale water projects can move forward because of environmental concerns.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Dump the brine back in the ocean where it came from?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Serious question, why aren't these plants all over the coastline of the US?

Honestly, they consume a bunch of power and you do have an issue of how to deal with the brine that is left over.

They are fine in some scenarios not so much in others. It's not just a magic bullet fix for water shortages at an industrial scale.

Dump the brine back in the ocean where it came from?

With a little logical thought - I realize that is an oxymoran when involving libs, but,

Where does rain come from ? - and I dont mean just 'out of clouds'.

The sun heats the surface of the ocean. The surface water evaporates, becoming water vapor, pure H2O, leaving all the minerals, nasties, fish guts, plastic bottles behind, just like a solar still. The minerals remain in the ocean. The rain that falls on the land dissolves more minerals on its path back to the ocean, eventually increasing the mineral, eg salt concentration in the ocean.

IIRC studies have been done that show how the ocean is getting saltier over time.

So, currently there is a drought - less rain - less water being evaporated from the ocean - less salt left behind.
Along comes a desal plant - more fresh water - more drainage - brine goes back to the ocean, along with more minerals out of the ground.

How much salt does the Columbia River, and all the other rivers on the West Coast put into the ocean, compared to the outlet of a desal plant?

And the answer to pollution is dilution - there is a HUGE river that flows south along the west coast - it brings cold water from Alaska to make nipples hard on CA beaches - send the brine out into the current where it will mix in and just go away.

Theres no difference in salt /brine production from a desal plant compared to natural brine production from solar. It all equates to fresh water, regardless of source.

I learned this in Grade School, 4th, 5th ? along with old math, old physics, and binary biology, -but that is for a different thread.

IMHO YMMV
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1,000 gpd is way larger than the RO unit I have for drinking water.

I don't have answers but you might be better off starting a thread with that exact question.

View Quote
Ooops, should have a dash in there, 10-20 gpd.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#13]
It may be an good business to start with an design for a rooftop desalination system to recycle waste water from a house or ocean water
The market demand will create a provider to fill it
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

The East Coast has plenty of fresh water
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:26:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Leftists never actually value human life.  I'm beginning to think that deep down at heart they all want to pull a thanos and halve the world population just for starters.  For the environment!
View Quote

Imagine if the elites are talking to aliens are essentially space drunks betting each other on how they can trick humans into destroying themselves over a bottle.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:26:55 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Why do you need a site on the coast. We pipe water and oil hundreds of miles and have had said technology since the roman empire
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Power generation costs and site locations on coast will kill these mediocre ideas eventually

Why do you need a site on the coast. We pipe water and oil hundreds of miles and have had said technology since the roman empire

Yup. California could force Nevada to build desal plants and pump the water back to CA, using NV energy, so that the libs in CA can stay 'green' just like they do now, with electric and other energy they buy from NV, so they can shut down their nucs, destroy there hydro plants etc.

Fucking hypocrites?

IMHO ymmv
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:27:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Let them die if they want to save the environment so badly
View Quote

They aren't going to die, they're going to move to your state.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:29:17 AM EDT
[#18]
They will change their mind when they are thirsty and a bottle of water cost $5.00 like gasoline.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:30:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Because not everywhere has enormous populations living on a desert coast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because not everywhere has enormous populations living on a desert coast.

Yes So-Cal is a desert that people moved to and terraformed.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:31:11 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
It's a very energy intensive process.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So-Cal has lots of sun.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:32:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Soeaking of RO, Id like a small system for my shop to use better water for my coolant blends.

Anyone have recs on a good units, maybe 10-20gpd?
View Quote
Doing the research myself now, I need more for my wash system but you could run a household setup into a storage tank if you just need 20 GPD.

Chloride from the city water if causing rust issues in my machines.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:32:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
Use nuke power.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:32:50 AM EDT
[#23]
We can move water from the East by train because a pipeline would be offensive to the environmentalist.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#24]
CA Coastal Commission unanimously votes to reject controversial Huntington Beach desalination plant
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:51:31 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I am far from an expert on this topic, but you would assume with all the noise currently with water shortages that a project like this would be green lighted.

Nope, got to protect that coast.

Sorry for the CNN link.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/162439/Screenshot_20220514-083224_Chrome_jpg-2383286.JPG

CNN link
View Quote
Save the coast but destroy the delta! Got it. Mean while a city on the delta has to build a desal plant so the South can grab more water.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Desalination + micro nuclear plants is the way to save the west.
View Quote

This. ^

San Diego built a desalination plant for just that reason. Southern California is basically a desert. It can not support it's population without fresh water or energy, both of which they have shortages of.

Metropolitan cities in Saudi Arabia and Dubai would not exist if not for desalination. They however do not have an energy shortage.

Nucs solve the energy issue. Desal the water issue. Yes brine and spent fuel rods are issues. Those issues can be solved if we put in the research, but we need to get out of the gate first.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:02:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then build a nuclear plant to power it and the surrounding towns. Win/win.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:08:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Leftists never actually value human life.  I'm beginning to think that deep down at heart they all want to pull a thanos and halve the world population just for starters.  For the environment!
View Quote

If they really cared, they'd off themselves. Actions speak louder then words.

However, ''they'' are ''special,'' you aren't.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Well then build a nuclear plant to power it and the surrounding towns. Win/win.
View Quote
California is not allowing new nuke plants and the only one still operating did not get their license renewed. #CA logic
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:16:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I wonder if they could pipe the brine into the Salton Sea (which is drying up, due to natural causes), kind of like the Israelis are doing with the Dead Sea.
View Quote

This Country went to the moon using slide rules and a computer less powerful than a casio wrist watch, developed a nuc bomb while wearing short sleeve white button up shirts with a tie and usuing lead blocks as shielding, I'm pretty sure we could solve any issue that comes from desalinating water. The Saudis seem to have a handle on it, 50% of the World's desalination capacity, but they have the space, energy, and will to do it.

As a few people mentioned, mini nuc plants, desalination plants, problem solved. Pump the brine into the desert and process it. Yes expensive, I suspect growing things and processing the bring could reduce the costs. People don't to have a real issue (other than bitching) with paying outlandish prices for gas in CA, they can pay for the water too.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That water disappears from the earth once used. Trust the Science.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:18:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Most parts of the nation don’t have a fresh water shortage.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:24:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It goes outside the environment.

Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:27:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Yes.

Every single idea of theirs eventually ends with reduced population.  
Every
Single
One
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.

Every single idea of theirs eventually ends with reduced population.  
Every
Single
One

Actually, CA is importing people. They simply believe if they leftist hard enough, then unicorns exist and they can rid the world of conservative thought.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:27:35 AM EDT
[#35]
The democrat communists running CA need problems, not solutions. Problems create narratives and excuses to grab power. Solutions don't. It's as simple as that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:29:35 AM EDT
[#36]
Fuck California. They dont want refineries or desalination plants yet dont understand why their gas is crazy expensive and they have to ration water.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:34:58 AM EDT
[#37]
The ocean belongs to all of us. So I say fuck Cali they can not use the ocean to make drinkable water.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

They are expensive and use a ton of electricity and most places already have enough fresh water.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The East and Gulf Coasts aren't lacking water.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:38:47 AM EDT
[#39]
All the rivers that dump fresh water into the Pacific 365 days a year 24/7...even the Romans had aqueducts.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. I would be curious to look at the projections of the proposed plant. They have self caused power issues as it is. A desal plant uses a metric s-ton of electricity to produce fresh water from brackish or salt water.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:40:40 AM EDT
[#41]
How deep is the ocean floor outside of CA's regulatory view?  Set up a desalination plant on an offshore rig and pipe the water to shore.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:41:43 AM EDT
[#42]
So they die of dehydration. Big deal.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:42:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’m strangely okay with that. Could easily be taken from China, India, and domestically…california.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:45:39 AM EDT
[#44]
Meh, I have no fucks to give. Hope they enjoy being smelly & thirsty.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#45]
Texas should ban the sale of energy to California.

The next step will be California will build the plants in Mexico and then build a pipeline to buy the water from Mexico.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 11:51:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

While I appreciate that sentiment, the entire southwest is under an ongoing drought and everybody pulls from the Lake Mead reservoir. California's water problems make it everybody's water problems which actually might be the point. instead of taking care of their water problems they're going to make everybody suffer unless somebody else helps flip the bill.

That said, it's a problem we need to get on top of now for the entire wouth west, not just California. There needs to be mass construction of multiple plants from along the coast because Mead is getting pretty damn low.

You might be able to keep some of Northern AZ alive, but Phoenix and las Vegas are pretty much gone.

Problem is I don't think California has the electrical infrastructure to deal with them anyway. Short of nuclear power, they couldn't support desalination. They're already under rolling blackouts at times.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:00:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Texas should ban the sale of energy to California.

The next step will be California will build the plants in Mexico and then build a pipeline to buy the water from Mexico.
View Quote

At one point, there were three electrical grids in this country, East, West, and Texas. Texas couldn't sell electricity to CA if they wanted to at the time. I don't know if they've connected the two in the past decade or not.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:01:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote

They’ll just keep stealing the water from every state west of the Rockies to service their “needs”.
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#49]
But a multi billion dollar high speed train to nowhere.  That’s ok
Link Posted: 5/14/2022 12:26:43 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Oh for FUCKS sake! There’s a sewage treatment plant next door - just blend the effluent together to match ocean salinity.
View Quote

This is a great way to feed the algae and ecosystem as well.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top