Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2013 8:00:51 AM EDT
Currently I have a 99 WS6 trans am and a 08 corolla for daily driver but since I work only 3 minutes from home I've been thinking of getting something more fun than my toyot.  Started looking at these and they are sexy as hell to me and was wondering if they are a good daily driver and what kinda highway mpg they get (20 plus is all I'd want).  I'd be looking at a 04-06 probablt price wise.  Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:09:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Sure, why not?

I have an 04 CTS (Not a V, unfortunately) but I can't see why a V wouldn't be a good daily driver  and reasonable on gas

if you avoid putting your foot down a lot.  

I know people who use their Vs as daily drivers with no issues.

Link Posted: 10/20/2013 8:09:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Currently I have a 99 WS6 trans am and a 08 corolla for daily driver but since I work only 3 minutes from home I've been thinking of getting something more fun than my toyot.  Started looking at these and they are sexy as hell to me and was wondering if they are a good daily driver and what kinda highway mpg they get (20 plus is all I'd want).  I'd be looking at a 04-06 probablt price wise.  Thanks for any input.
View Quote

LS motors get great mileage if you want them too. I can't imagine a better daily driver except a Vette.
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#3]
I haven't personally driven one, still, my vote is "Fuck yeah".
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#4]
3 minute drive to work and you care about mileage?  unless your current vehicle is the Millennium Falcon, how could the distance matter?
Link Posted: 10/20/2013 6:23:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Im not concerned with mileage to work but If I wanna get outta town on the weekends I dont want one if its gonna get 15mpg highway
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 9:59:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eh it could work, but you could do better.  Due to the small tank, the range is pretty short (which could be an issue when you take longer trips)  I wouldn't expect to get better than ~20 mpg on the highway. (fuel economy varies a bit by model year)

Have you looked into a pontiac G8 or pontiac GTO?

Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:12:18 AM EDT
[#7]
CTS V will be a fine daily driver. My buddy has had one for about 2 years now. If its a Manuel transmission you will be able to get 20 MPG and above depending on your driving habits. The car was made to drive. Its an LS based power train which has been proven since 97. My buddy gets 21 avg MPG highway and has a header back exhaust and K&N CAI.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I know you said you are looking for an 04-06.  I can't speak to those first-hand, but I do have an '11 and it is my daily driver.  Great car.  Have about 55k miles on it. I've never checked the milage closely, but the computer says it gets around 20 with really easy freeway cruising at 65-70 mph.  It says I average 16mpg.  Going around the track is gets about 6.0mpg  The small tank does suck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
G8s are too expensive If I remember right... GTO may be in my range.  I wish a new cts-v was in my price range ha.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a 2005 CTS-V.  I bought it "Slightly Used" (9,300 miles) and three years old.

It IS basically a Daily Driver.  Around town I average about 18 mph.  BTW, ALL of the 2004-2007 CTS-V's have the 6 speed in them.  

On the highway, I tend to get 23-25ish MPG....Course, I am cruising at 83 mph.....On cruise control.  Fast enough to pass a lot, NOT TOO FAST for a ticket.  

It's a 4 door sedan, so I think it get's "OVERLOOKED" as a speeder......

There are some "ISSUES" with the cars, but, all in all, a fun car.....

Hope that helps....
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#11]
What issues are you talking about
Link Posted: 10/22/2013 1:46:37 AM EDT
[#12]
The IRS DOES NOT LIKE SMOKING BURN OUTS.....

Probably the biggest weakness of the car.

There's been more than a few rear ends replaced out there....

And, there's a wheel hop issue with dumping the clutch....Which leads to rear end destruction...

IT IS NOT A DRAG CAR......

I am still on the original rear end....

A few motor mounts and rear IRS Mounts replaced under warranty.....

Very happy camper....

I DO WISH the prices on the newer "V-s" would come down, but, it's not gonna happen anytime soon....

I REALLY want a WAGON, but, the only way I'm getting one is with POWERBALL financing....

There is a Cadillac forum, with a whole section devoted to "THE V"....
Link Posted: 10/23/2013 12:50:33 PM EDT
[#13]
This is my '04.  It's my daily driver. I average roughly 18mpg with about 60/30 city/highway.  With 100% highway driving I routinely exceed 25mpg at acceptable speeds (80-90mph on cruise).

There's a lot to know about these, so if you have specific questions, ask away.

I should add that I love the ever-loving fuck out of it.  Hopefully I can keep it for a long, long time.
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#14]
I had an 05 and it was a great DD.  But more importantly...let's see pics of your WS-6!  I have a 2000 WS-6 vert.  I'll be buried in that car!  Lol
Link Posted: 10/24/2013 10:20:57 PM EDT
[#15]

1999 WS6 Trans Am auto 53,000 miles LS6 intake, 160 degree thermostat, stainless headers, slp lid, tune.  Think thats it, love this car I kinda want another to drive year round lol or a caddy even though I should just keep my toyota.  Not my house in the background this is prior owners pic I bought it 2 years ago but dont have any good pics other than this.  Have the stock rims but the tires on her now just hook too damn good.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:01:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

LS motors get great mileage if you want them too. I can't imagine a better daily driver except a Vette.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A forced inducted BMW would be a fun DD.
Can be made almost as powerful as a full bolt on vette.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:46:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Be willing to spend $$$. I love the BMW's but they're nowhere near as cheap to maintain and modify as the LS series engines.   I'll agree that the inlines are fun ... they feel soooo smooth. I borrowed a buddy's 325i a while back before I had my CTS and he had to beat me with a rock to get his keys away from me. I loved it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#18]
3 minutes from home   That car will barely warm up, get a bicycle.  It's cheaper than repairs.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Be willing to spend $$$. I love the BMW's but they're nowhere near as cheap to maintain and modify as the LS series engines.   I'll agree that the inlines are fun ... they feel soooo smooth. I borrowed a buddy's 325i a while back before I had my CTS and he had to beat me with a rock to get his keys away from me. I loved it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might need to read up more on the 335, they can put out almost 400whp with a $479 just chip and a 30% mix of E85.
A few grand in mods (all easy to install) will get you 450+whp.

Upgraded turbos ($3k) will get you 500+whp. Full bolt ons, meth injection, e85 mix and upgraded turbos is at 700whp now.

Keep in mind this engine puts out more torque than hp and reaches peak torque from 1500rpms to 5252rpms.

You can also run race gas with just a $479 chip, that would mean 400+whp doh everything else stock.

Keep in mind all these numbers are without having to even crack the engine open.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:24:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

You might need to read up more on the 335, they can put out almost 400whp with a $479 just chip and a 30% mix of E85.

Upgraded turbos ($3k) will get you 500+whp. Full bolt ons, meth injection, e85 mix and upgraded turbos is at 700whp now.

Keep in mind this engine puts out more torque than hp and reaches peak torque from 1500rpms to 5252rpms.

You can also run race gas with just a $479 chip, that would mean 400+whp doh everything else stock.

Keep in mind all these numbers are without having to even crack the engine open.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get in to an LS1, LS2, or LS6 powered Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V or Firebird for literally a fraction of the cost of a 335, but yeah, like I said, I like BMW's too.
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#21]

You can get in to an LS1, LS2, or LS6 powered Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V or Firebird for literally a fraction of the cost of a 335, but yeah, like I said, I like BMW's too.
View Quote

I went to a local car show and saw some of those LS (I love LS powered cars btw, have lots of friends who own them) cars you speak of that are a fraction of the cost of a BMW and they have nice upgrades to the engine and nice new rims but they are beat to shit cars that have not much value after it's all said and done.

A nice C5 vette will be 20K , a nice C5Z vette will be 25K, a nice F body will be 10-15K and any of the newer LS powered cars will be $30K+.

I have a 07 Sport coupe 335 6 speed manual that I bought from the original owner full service records with 23K on the odo for $26k.
I wanted a C5Z but the prices are too high for what you get for a good specimen.

That's hardly a fraction of the cost. If you like cheap beat on cars, sure you can find ones for fractions of the price but anything worth owning is going to start climbing into the $ amount of a used BMW.

Link Posted: 10/27/2013 11:17:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I went to a local car show and saw some of those LS (I love LS powered cars btw, have lots of friends who own them) cars you speak of that are a fraction of the cost of a BMW and they have nice upgrades to the engine and nice new rims but they are beat to shit cars that have not much value after it's all said and done.

A nice C5 vette will be 20K , a nice C5Z vette will be 25K, a nice F body will be 10-15K and any of the newer LS powered cars will be $30K+.

I have a 07 Sport coupe 335 6 speed manual that I bought from the original owner full service records with 23K on the odo for $26k.
I wanted a C5Z but the prices are too high for what you get for a good specimen.

That's hardly a fraction of the cost. If you like cheap beat on cars, sure you can find ones for fractions of the price but anything worth owning is going to start climbing into the $ amount of a used BMW.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

You're mixing two kinds of drivers in this comparison here.

Either you buy cheap and build it for less than the cost of a new LS series or 335, and have something that has little resale--which for a lot of enthusiasts is fine, or you spend lots of $$ and get something that maintains resale ... why not get a new Vette or LS3 Camaro instead?
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 12:29:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Either you buy cheap and build it for less than the cost of a new LS series or 335, and have something that has little resale--which for a lot of enthusiasts is fine, or you spend lots of $$ and get something that maintains resale ... why not get a new Vette or LS3 Camaro instead?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There are plenty of tiers between a brand new LS3 Vette/Camero and a cheap beater so I guess to put it in your terms there's more than two types of drivers.
My budget was between $20k-$30K and the engine had to have headroom, that really whittled things down a bit but by no means did it put me at the top or the bottom of the scale when including bmw's as part of the search.

About the OPs question I really.like what cadilac has done with the lineup over the last 10 years.
Add in the fact that it has a LS drivetrain is icing on the cake.
Do it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top