Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2005 1:41:37 AM EDT
In reference to NorCal's Guide to Becoming a Police Officer, where does one suppose I could get some information regarding the pre-academy schooling(cadet) program? I am only 18 but am seriously looking into becoming a police officer. Phoenix, AZ definately is classified as a large city, but I am not too sure what kind of pre-academy schooling they would offer.

Is asking the nearest Precinct about it a good idea, or is there some sort of website or special number I should call? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Bobby
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Best thing to do would be to start going to college and try to get an internship with a PD.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Internship or reserve/aux officer if you have the time.
College degrees are becoming more common among applicants and if you don't have one then that means you have to stand out quite a bit to get back to par and snag one of those hiring slots.

I did the explorer/cadet thing until I turned 21 and was able to apply for the reserve unit. Now I'm finishing up college and will be a reserve until I get hired on full time. When transitioning from cadet to reserve the prior experience was a huge plus for me.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#3]
I hear much of schooling. Any suggestions for what to study? These replies make it seem like I wont be able to be a LEO until I am 30 with all the reserve and school stuff.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I hear much of schooling. Any suggestions for what to study? These replies make it seem like I wont be able to be a LEO until I am 30 with all the reserve and school stuff.

I do my stuff concurrently. I was a cadet while doing the first part of college and then I'll be a reserve for this last year and until I get hired. I'm studying chemistry in college, science degrees are becoming somewhat useful in law enforcement. I've used knowledge from my schooling already while out on rides. Some departments require it be in something like criminal justice or law enforcement. Others, like the one I've been at, don't require a degree but prefer one. They don't care what it is in but having a degree that might be useful but is not common (in my case a hard science degree) can be a plus.

I think you're going to have to ask what schooling your local departments are looking at if you intend on sticking around where you are at.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top