Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2001 4:36:12 PM EDT
I just finnished building a new computer. 1.4Ghz AMD processor etc. This thing is a total hotrod(already outdated by 1.8Ghz & faster...oh well). Only problem is the internet connection. The dialup modem is painfully slow. Looking for pros and cons of cable and DSL. Let's here your opinions.
         [USA]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Are both available to you there?  If so, DSL is the way to go.  I have cable, which is all that is available besides awful dial up.  Would never, ever go back.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:44:17 PM EDT
[#2]
DSL
Do your research and I think you will agree.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:44:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Cable has always been both more reliable and faster than my neighbors DSL

... go here and check you Internet speed:
[url]http://computingcentral.msn.com/internet/speedtest.asp[/url]

... Mine = 3722.2 kbps
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 4:49:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, in my area Cable is the way to go. More bang for your buck.

The main thing that I recommend that anyone looking into high speed connection is to look for the hidden costs. The advertised price is [b]NEVER[/b] what you end up paying for. Be sure to take out paper and pencil and start writting down all the extras (installation, modem rental/purchase, [b]ISP costs[/b] [i]this is really the hidden costs[/i], etc). Then if you want go a little further and look at the average speed (not advertised, call friends and ask them) and then divide that by the costs. That will give you the "bang for the buck".

Whichever one you choose, you will never regrett it!!! It ROCKS!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:08:50 PM EDT
[#6]
DSL-
More secure. (It's a good idea to have a firewall but you don't have to)  
You will always connect at the same speed no matter how many of your neighbors have DSL (not so with cable since everyone shares the bandwidth. Normally only a problem if you live in or near a apartment complex.)
You can have Static IP addresses so you can host a website from your home computer like I do.
Easier to add multiple computers. (If you get the Cisco 67x (675 or 678) router for your DSL modem/router all you have to do is hook up a hub and evyeone has access to the internet)

Cable-
Normally faster than DSL (unless all your neighbors have cable too)
Not as secure. You better have a firewall or your neighbors can easily hack into your computer.
Can add multiple computers however additional cost is required (You have to build a server running proxy or buy a router)

As far as reliability the both experience outages. I have DSL because of my static IP requirement but alot of my freinds have cable. Either way you look at it is cost is about the same (give or take $10) so just evaluate how you want to use it
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:13:57 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a cable modem setup, and just did the test 5 times, all between 600 and 700 kbs.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:21:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I had cable modem for two months before switching to DSL.  Cable modem could be extremely slow at times and it was down for a whole week one time.  Been very happy with DSL.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:23:17 PM EDT
[#9]
DSL!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:24:52 PM EDT
[#10]
OptimumOnline in the northeast is the cream
of the crop.

I have 8mb download speed.

Goto [url]http://www.dslreports.com[/url]

for research of your area
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
If you're willing to substitute speed for slightly better network stability and security, get DSL.

However, if 100K/s just isn't good enough for you, and you want MASSIVE BLATANT SPEED going around 500+K/s, then Cable is definately the way to go.  Even if many others around your area have it, your download rates will far exceed DSL.

Latency ("ping") to major networks are equal from both DSL and Cable.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:37:53 PM EDT
[#13]
My cable is very fast, no contract, unlike the phonecompany, and the modem is owned by the cable compan, it it breaks, they buy a new one, not me.
[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/028/As/Ed/gp/Po61470.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 5:49:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Have had both, I am with cable now. DSL was fine at first, but got bumped off regular after about 2 1/2 hours on. Found out that the phone company had oversold the service, so they intentionally bumped you to let other people on.
With my cable they let the severs get to 75% capacity then start routing traffic to servers with less usage. Havent had any problems with my cable. Gets a little slower on friday and saturday nights, but the slowdown is about the same as my DSL was at the same times.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:00:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Cable.

It's always a standard NIC connection to the computer, more options for installing a router or setting up a software firewall etc on a PC if you have a local network in the house.
lots of DSL modems are now going USB to the computer, which precludes using most routers and can make if more difficult using some software firewalls.

Speed, not an issue, most "high traffic" slowdowns of cable modems don't slow it down to anywhere near "unbearable" as some claim.

DSL, has a range of speeds dependent on how far away from the switching station. If you are 1/2 mile or so...get it, if you are out at the 2 to 2 1/2 mile range, it's not as good.

"No_Expert" on AR15's,

but I do know computers.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:04:36 PM EDT
[#16]
DSL is all I can get right now, through Bell South of course.

That is okay by me.

Compared to my old set-eup the DSL is exponentialy faster.

Typically I run @ etween 992000bps and 1050000bps.

Fast enough for me right now.

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#17]
In general I would recommend dsl. You will not be sharing a line with anyone. Also if you are into games your average ping will be about 1/2 what it would be with cable.

Cable will however give you faster downloads (about 2x on average) for all those demos, patches, and music you want.
Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:21:53 AM EDT
[#18]
One of my sisters has her G4 hooked up to Verizon DSL, and it doesn't really seem that much faster than my 33.6 dial-up modem. Don't know why. Sure doesn't seem worth the money to me with that admittedly limited comparison. My $ .02. [:)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top