Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2004 2:16:21 PM EDT
I need help with this...we have cable internet and 3 computers to hook into 1 cable modem. I bought a ethernet hub and hooked it up as in the instructions. Now the problem...only 1 computer will connect and all the others won't connect even though all the lights on the hub say they are.
Any suggestions???
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a Linksys Ethernet 10/100 hub...it said it will work with DSL/Cable modems....so should I have bought a different one?
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:31:25 PM EDT
[#3]
LinkSys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router.  It also acts as a hub.  This is the 4-port model. I bought the 8-port (BEFSR81).  Very easy hook-up:
Cable to cable-modem
RJ-45 from cable-modem to WAN (or whatever the input is labeled) input on Router
Then each RJ-45 port to each computer.
The Router is configurable through the browser and complete instructions are supplied.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I've used a Linksys BEFSR41 for 4 years now.  The difference between a router and a hub is that with the router your three computers can share a single IP address allocated to the cable modem from your cable ISP.  This is called Network Address Translation or "NAT".  You also gain some security with a router since it can be configured to not allow packets to come in to your network without a computer from the (safe) inside network initiating the connection.

A hub will allow you to connect multiple computers together true, but I think you will need an IP address per computer from your cable ISP, which will most likely cost additional money per computer.  Finally the hub gives you no additional security other than software running on your individual computers.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#5]
You need a router to go with hub,  Router  or a combo Router/hub, R/H.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
LinkSys BEFSR41 Cable/DSL Router.  It also acts as a hub.  This is the 4-port model. I bought the 8-port (BEFSR81).  Very easy hook-up:
Cable to cable-modem
RJ-45 from cable-modem to WAN (or whatever the input is labeled) input on Router
Then each RJ-45 port to each computer.
The Router is configurable through the browser and complete instructions are supplied.

Good luck.

+1 i got a linksys wireles router with 4 port switch, got 4 comps, a laptop, a Tivo, and a ps2.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:35:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys...looking at the hub all it is is a simple hub....so I am off to exchange this one and pay a few more bucks for the right one to get these bad boys online.  Gracias
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 2:37:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Best bet is to get a router with a built in switch.  That way you are protected from the virus/trojans etc.

Or you could use your hub and put zonealarm on your working machine.  Then enable Internet Connection Sharing and let the other computers hookup through that pc.  (Doable but It would be much better if you go the router way.)

Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:34:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I just got my netgear wireless network up and running, fucking nightmare. You would think that in today's day and age things would be idiot proof. And net gear only gave me a tiny, vague pamphlet to work from.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:40:05 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Best bet is to get a router with a built in switch.  That way you are protected from the virus/trojans etc.

Or you could use your hub and put zonealarm on your working machine.  Then enable Internet Connection Sharing and let the other computers hookup through that pc.  (Doable but It would be much better if you go the router way.)

Can be done, but most ISPs object, because they have simple hubs connecting all of their customers together. So if you use DHCP Internet Sharing on your computer, you'll also be offering your connection to every other cable modem customer, and that tends to screw things up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:44:31 PM EDT
[#11]
You should get a router with a firewall that does stateful packet inspection as your primary firewall.  A software firewall is of limited use.

BEFSX41 - The Linksys Instant Broadband™ EtherFast®Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN Endpoint is the perfect solution for connecting a small group of PCs to a high-speed broadband Internet connection or a 10/100 Ethernet backbone. The Router can be configured to limit internal users’ Internet access based on URLs and/or time periods—URL filtering and time filtering. For enhanced protection against intruders from the Internet, the Router features an advanced Stateful Packet Inspection firewall.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#12]
The cable ISP I work for lets you use a hub, but we charge $5 per extra computer. The router is cheaper  and most ISPs don't charge extra, they just don't provide tech support for them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2004 3:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top