Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2006 4:10:17 PM EDT
I am moving, as you may remember, on or before the 22nd, to my new freestanding home in Frederick, Colorado. The home already has a Dish antenna erected. This has caused me to think about my options - I have been a cable customer since I started paying for it, and have never experienced Dish, DirecTV, or any other service. I don't have an HDTV, but may get one in a year or two.

So, what should I get, and why? I hear that those DVR things are pretty cool, too, 'cause you can set favorite shows to be recorded. Maybe I'd watch something other than Fox News.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:33:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, here are a couple things to think about.

Do you have broadband internet there? If you can get cable internet, it would make it really difficult to decide - you'd then want to analyze the channel selection and costs, cause cable net rocks!

If you are stuck with DSL, then don't go for cable tv, imho.  Personally, I like Dish, but the neighbor had Direct, and liked it

Good lunk, it's really a bit of analysis - if you can get the DVR, go for it, it is a great tool/toy to have
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Dish Network kicks ass.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:41:17 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got cable for internet, "rabbit ears" for the TV.
When I had cable TV it was 80 channels of nothing to watch. Now it's 9 channels of nothing to watch, for free.

My wifes sister has sattelite TV and when the weather is bad all she gets is "No Signal".

Not much help, am I.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Dish Network DirectTV with Tivokicks ass.

Fixed

my sister has it and loves it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed

Dish Network has DVR.  And it only records what you want it to.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:58:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Directv is fine until they screw up some matter with your account, and then you will have to jump through hoops with several customer service representatives with really bad attitudes.

It's amazing how pissy they get when you resort to refusing their charges on your credit card when they don't agree to reverse charges in a timely manner.

On the other hand, the picture is much better than cable.

Dish Network is going to get a serious look when my contract is up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:02:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Dish Network kicks ass.

Yes ma'am.  I have had it since 1999.  I still have and use my original 12 hour DVR as well as a couple of newer ones.  Best packages and great customer service.

What I really like is that my company has moved me several times during that period and I didn't have to deal with a bunch of different cable companies with different packages.  I just called Dish, gave them my new address, took my recievers and it was good to go when I got to the new house.

One time, the move was just a few miles, so I left one reciever at the old house for a few days while I finished moving and cleaning.  Had service at both places for about 3 days.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've got cable for internet, "rabbit ears" for the TV.
When I had cable TV it was 80 channels of nothing to watch. Now it's 9 channels of nothing to watch, for free.

My wifes sister has sattelite TV and when the weather is bad all she gets is "No Signal".

Not much help, am I.

Well, someone needs to re-aim her dish.  I never get that.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:04:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fixed

Nothing to fix.  Dish's listings and DVR beat Direct hands down.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
I have DirecTV. It's the best thing going and I've had only excellence in customer service so far. I've had both cable and Dish in the past. DTV beats them all so far.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Who watches TV anymore ? I get everything I need from ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I have Dish. Had one problem with a reciever, they sent me a new one overnight with no hassels. No other problems since then. As far as losing the signal in bad weather, in two years, it maybe lost the signal three times for a few minutes each time and that was during very severe thunderstorms. Not a problem in my book.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:44:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow, thanks for all the awesome replies. I have the option of all three, and will likely get cable internet and Dish/DVR. I won't have a landline, since they're about worthless in an age of excellent wireless communications, although my wireless phone gets only 2 bars at the new house.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I had Dishnetwork for 6 years and then due to a move had Direct TV.  I am glad to be back with Dishnetwork.  I prefer the channel selection.

The one topic to remember is Internet access.  I live (always lived) in an area without DSL, Cable Internet, and Broadband.  I wish I had one or more available.  Satelite (Hughes Net) is about $400 install and $70 per month.  I am still on dial up.  Broadband maybe around the corner in my town, but still several years out.  

Mike
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
New things are happening at Directv. MPEG4 compression is here and a bunch of new satellites have been launched. This will allow Hi-def local channels on Directv. Directv also is the only place to get the NFL Sunday Ticket. This at one time included most of the games in Hi-def. Now, you have to pay $240 just to get the games, and an additional $100 to get the HD feed. I cancelled my Sunday Ticket subscription, and I don't really miss it. Directv will blackout temporarily if you have a pretty heavy rain storm.

In Houston, cable has come a long way. The picture quality on most channels is comparable to Directv, plus you can get local channels in HD right now. I don't know anything about the DISH network.

You probably need to figure out what you like to watch and visit a few friends that have one or the other services. The good news is you will probably be happy with any of them.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Cable. For the reception. No Problems, even during a hurricane.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top