Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/2/2015 3:38:57 PM EDT
Last summer, I saw an old cab over engine semi going down the road hauling something. It struck me as odd since I hardly ever see these anymore. As a kid in the 70s and BJ & the Bear fan, they were all over the place.  Now when I'm on road trips I find it kinda fun to notice one.

Saw this one the other day:

It appears they were the result or were common back in the 70s as a result of Carter administration EPA foolishness regulating length of semi-trucks.

Ever see any these days?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:41:44 PM EDT
[#1]
The farm up the street from me has two matching ones, still used daily. They look like early '80s. My town's transfer station has a '60s Ford cab-over too.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:42:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Tag for more info.

And sexy truck pics
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Truckers don't like them because:
It's hot and noisy sitting directly over the engine
Nothing between you and a front end collision besides some sheet metal.

I drove straight trucks and had a collision that would have killed me without the front end to soak up damage.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
They ride like shit. They shift like shit. Very little room,  can't stand up,  etc etc
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
For the record, I've never driven a big rig much less sat in one. And have no desire to. Just think it's interesting to see them these days.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:47:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They ride like shit. They shift like shit. Very little room,  can't stand up,  etc etc
View Quote

I bet aerodynamics are shit as well.  i.e. they burn more fuel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Drivers don't much care about that.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
I see them all the time here hauling logs and such. Old school Optimus Prime.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:49:33 PM EDT
[#9]
We run across them more often in nor cal, Oregon and Washington. My first truck was an 88' pete cabover. I point them out to the wife and she says how glad she is we aren't in one now! Love seeing them restored!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:49:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I learned how to drive in one of those,  they do suck,  cant see too well out of the right side,  they are still made but the send them to mexico they build them here in NC

at the Mount Holly plant.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:50:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think up to about 55 they don't offer any worse areos than any other design. If they were popular during the 70's during the gas crunch and national 55mph speed limit, that would make sense.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:51:20 PM EDT
[#12]
There's no need for them in countries that don't have strict overall length requirements like in they have in Europe where they still use them.

Here we can have two (maybe 3) car road trains, but nothing like you see in Oz.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:51:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Another fan of the cabover style here. Always liked them.

They may not be the best solution but they are nice to look at.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:52:23 PM EDT
[#14]
They suck hard to work on, and ride like a buckboard if the springs, shocks, load, and cab air aren't perfect.

That truck sucks balls HUGE because it's still long as hell, so the ONE advantage it could have had maneuvering and bumping docks isn't there.

Pretty truck though.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:52:45 PM EDT
[#15]
I always loved the old 50's Chevy COE trucks.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Cab-overs were needed because of overall length (cab and trailer) requirements.

I understand the conventional cabs are more aerodynamic and more fuel efficient.

It doesn't have to be a lot more fuel efficient to be a benefit when you're putting on 10s of thousands of miles a year.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:16:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I've always thought they were better looking, not that the other ones were ugly though.  

There's a guy around here that has a restored regular truck though that's a day cab on a long ass frame, iirc the frame is painted and it looks like it's been lowered a little and has like 6" stacks on it.  The thing is just beautiful.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:19:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tag for more info.

And sexy truck pics
View Quote

I think they were the best looking trucks built.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
This one was in our shop a month or so ago...looks identical to the one 74novaman posted.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:24:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I drove straight trucks and had a collision that would have killed me without the front end to soak up damage.
View Quote

My dad died in a cab over accident in 1970, they were and are a terrible idea.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:27:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I understand the conventional cabs are more aerodynamic and more fuel efficient.
It doesn't have to be a lot more fuel efficient to be a benefit when you're putting on 10s of thousands of miles a year.

View Quote

My family owns a trucking business and I never knew that!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:30:42 PM EDT
[#22]
were they cheaper to make that way? I'm assuming they were since its obviously a shitty design compared to the regular engine out front.

ETA

mike_314 answered, Interesting

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Cab overs get so freaking hot inside, I don't know why the Army decided to get a lot of them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#24]
We had one on our farm.

Detroit Diesel with an air starter.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:43:17 PM EDT
[#25]
I see a lot of them around here  on farms.  

Not generally in places where they are being used heavily.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:44:39 PM EDT
[#26]
The real Optimus Prime.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:47:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Saw the result of a suicide where the person decided to go head-on into a cab over truck. Rear cab braces broke(if they even have any), cab hinged forward. Neither in the truck had their seatbelt on, passenger came out the windshield and hit the car, driver was stopped by the steering wheel. All 3 dead.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:54:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In Canada, the situation is reversed.  The guys who still have them aren't allowed into Canada because they have a minimum length requirement and most cab overs are too short.  Something about the weight footprint spread over too small an area of pavement.

That's one reason so many of them disappeared from the big US companies' fleets when NAFTA went into effect.  The companies wanted to be able to run in Canada with the same trucks they used in the US.  But as normal, the US got screwed and the only people running in the other guy's country are the Canadians running here in the US.  Very few US drivers get to cross the border into Canada.

As far as COEs go, if they weren't such worn out pieces of crap, I didn't mind driving them.  Never drove one long haul, but in captive service where I was home every night they were pretty good.  The only thing I drove that turned tighter was a Freightliner Century day cab, which had the same wheelbase as the International cab overs I drove.

But the cab overs were rough riding SOBs and the "dog house" engine cover took up a lot of floor space, making getting to the bunk a clumsy experience.  The "flat floor" International "Condos" were nicer, but it was still awkward moving around in side of one compared to a conventional.

The last cab over I drove was a bobtail trip from outside of Scranton, PA to Seville, OH to turn the truck in for transfer to its new owner;  Halliburton.  They bought a bunch of them that they shipped to Kuwait and Iraq for the American drivers who went over there.

According to one guy who drove for Halliburton the US drivers were fighting to get those trucks, because the new Volvos and other European brand trucks being used were European spec, without the air ride suspension and air ride seat US trucks have.  Much more comfortable than the spring-ride Euro-spec rigs.

But the guy said the Iraqis saw them and decided to test them for RPG resistance.  The fiberglass and aluminum cabs definitely weren't RPG-proof.  The only good point was that an RPG would pass completely through before detonating.

I wonder how many old Schneider and JB Hunt cab overs met their fates over in Iraq?
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:55:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Last summer, I saw an old cab over engine semi going down the road hauling something. It struck me as odd since I hardly ever see these anymore. As a kid in the 70s and BJ & the Bear fan, they were all over the place.  Now when I'm on road trips I find it kinda fun to notice one.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/rasmuspa/9B1C1602-492C-4A32-914C-B81733ECBF18_zps7uynla0f.jpg

It appears they were the result or were common back in the 70s as a result of Carter administration EPA foolishness regulating length of semi-trucks.

Ever see any these days?
View Quote

That truck should have a reefer on.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 4:55:46 PM EDT
[#30]

Cab overs are like diesels in small trucks, you have a small but vocal group that love them, but not enough for anyone to make a profit on them.

You can get a brand new Freightliner Argosy if you want, but very few are being sold. I can count on one hand how many I have seen on the road, on the other hand I see an old school cab over every day. The COE fans love old school.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Cab overs are like diesels in small trucks, you have a small but vocal group that love them, but not enough for anyone to make a profit on them.

You can get a brand new Freightliner Argosy if you want, but very few are being sold. I can count on one hand how many I have seen on the road, on the other hand I see an old school cab over every day. The COE fans love old school.  
View Quote

I took a load of parts to the Freightliner plant in NC and the place was packed with brand new Argosies.  All painted white, with off road style tires and marked for shipment to Africa.  I know that Schneider shipped a bunch of its old cab overs to Africa, so I guess that they are popular over there.

I never got to drive an Argosy, but with so much in common with a Century I think driving one would be pretty nice if you got to stay on smooth pavement.  Driving across PA would certainly suck, as I learned driving an International Eagle across the state.  Short wheelbase and pavement that has rhythmic humps would beat you to death when hauling a heavily loaded trailer.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:14:40 PM EDT
[#32]
My brother is a truck driver I asked him why they went away. He said its a safety liability thing. He learned on cab overs.
Your in an accident hoping that handle that flips the cab forward holds. Lots of bad accidents with them, phased out. Thats why so many ended up on farms cheap.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:15:55 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb179/rasmuspa/9B1C1602-492C-4A32-914C-B81733ECBF18_zps7uynla0f.jpg

Ever see any these days?
View Quote

I drove one....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:17:22 PM EDT
[#34]
Nothing is direct since you're so far forward, so lots of links for your steering and shifting, which suck brand new and are subject to wear which makes them suck way worse
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:19:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

This. You are always the first one to the scene of the accident.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:24:11 PM EDT
[#36]
son-of-a-bitch

"cab over pete, with a reefer on...."

now i know what that means......never put two and two together....
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:26:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:33:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote

But B.J. and the Bear man!
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:36:32 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

HEY, hey, hey, unless the driver is paying for it, as in O/O.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:41:13 PM EDT
[#40]
Another reason (at least at the company I work for) they got rid of them is that they were dangerous to climb in and out of.   From the floorboard it was at least a four and a half to five foot drop if you missed the step on the way out.  I don't miss them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Nothing is direct since you're so far forward, so lots of links for your steering and shifting, which suck brand new and are subject to wear which makes them suck way worse
View Quote

I agree on the "floating" shifting pattern.  Sometimes it is here, sometimes it is there.  The gear you want is never in the same place it seems.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:46:09 PM EDT
[#42]
You still see some in city use.  Shorter turning radius.  And loggers who drive them because they can't afford a newer rig, and don't want to beat a newer rig to death. Aerodynamics plays a big roll in fuel.  Close to a 3rd of it.  A 379 looks cool too but when the fuel bill comes from your wallet, cool don't pay the bills.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:46:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Still widely used in Europe...

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#44]
My old man had one when I was a kid.  
I miss riding in it.  Custom leather interior, air, air ride seats, and cassette deck.

Used ones can go for good money, or so I've heard.  People are buying them to rebuild/refurbish.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:49:00 PM EDT
[#45]
Will have to look for them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 5:49:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
We had one on our farm.

View Quote

Blown 2 stroke that revved like a fucking chainsaw? Those old 2 stroke detroits sure are a blast to run.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:11:09 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Blown 2 stroke that revved like a fucking chainsaw? Those old 2 stroke detroits sure are a blast to run.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We had one on our farm.

Yep.

Like this one only in green.

Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:14:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

But if you're ever in an accident, you're always the first one at the scene.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:16:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I have worked on many of them . I had a picture of a 9760 with a 6-92 Detroit on my shop wall . I had to take it down it leaked oil on the floor.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 6:23:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Ever see any these days?
View Quote

I drove one for  2 years, give me a conventional ANY day of the week. God I hate the way CoE's ride

Not to mention, I don't think my knees should be the first line of defense in an accedent
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top