BCM
Durkin Tactical Franklin Armory
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/17/2009 9:17:27 PM EDT
What a nice handling pistol!

19 + 1, adjustable back straps, and ability to carry 'cocked and locked'.

I went to check out some regular SP-01s but as soon ass the Phantom touched my hand it was love at first sight. Perfect grip angle. Large magazines AND on sale. I'm going to buy a Phantom within the week unless some one can talk me out of it.

If you can talk me out of it AND recommend me a better pistol to buy within the next week or two I'll send you a windowed PMAG full of re-loadable 5.56.

Links and coupon codes get special consideration.

ETA:

I will ship out a PMAG to whomever makes the best case for their given pistol. I'll fill it with ammo if they sway me from the Phantom.

ETA:

Fuck it I'm Foing!

I'm going with either the Shadow or the Phantom. I want to hold a Shadow first and a local shop has one in stock.

Is the Phantom OK to carry fully cocked or is it recommended to carry it at half cock. With a good holster it shouldn't be an issue just curious.

I'm going to start looking online for a deal tonight. If it's only going to be $25-30 cheaper online I'll just get the one in stock. He has it for 'on sale' for $615' Is that way overpriced?

Chairborne gets the mag. I'll IM you for an address within the next few days.

Thanks everybody for your input.

ETA:

I'm officially going with the Phantom.

Thanks for the Link Chairborne!
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:18:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Glock
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
S&W M&P Pro.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#3]
They look cool and feel nice, but their triggers are horrendous though I understand they break in after a bit.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:21:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the CZ P-06 and it was love at first sight. Get it.

Also consider a trigger job - Angus from the CZ Custom Shop does a hell of a job.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Love my 75 B.

And my 453 American.

CZ builds a good gun.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry to disappoint you, but the Phantom has a decocker only, no cocked & locked mode.

Check out the standard CZ SP-01 if you like having a manual safety.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought it's little brother, the P07 recently.  I also have an SP01 (steel frame) that I absolutely love.

ETA:  The P07 came with parts to convert from decocker to cocked/locked.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#8]
LNIB colt python
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:29:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Glock 17 or 19.  Best handgun on the planet bar none.

Relatively Inexpensive (especially with LE or MIL discount)
Cheap plentiful Mags
9mm is still pretty cheap also
consistant trigger pull
Good aftermarket (if you are into that)
Probably the most simple manual of arms (desirable for combat, defensive or duty weapon)
Polygonal rifling
accurate enough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=7A3EDDBBE4AC37D1
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:29:59 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Glock

He said gun, not a grenade.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:30:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Sorry to disappoint you, but the Phantom has a decocker only, no cocked & locked mode.

You're right.

I guess I meant to say 'light' single action trigger.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

A safety is not a big deal I just want a consistent trigger pull. Preferably a light one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:32:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Glock

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd try to convince you otherwise, but they're great pistols.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

A safety is not a big deal I just want a consistent trigger pull. Preferably a light one.

If that's the case you probably won't like a DA/SA gun.  I'd recommend a striker fired gun like an XD or S&W, or an HK USP or P2000 with the LEM trigger.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:41:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought it's little brother, the P07 recently.  I also have an SP01 (steel frame) that I absolutely love.

I just Googled that.

Aside from the smaller mags what is the difference?

I really like the option to switch between safety and decocker.

You are the front runner so far. I'm intrigued.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:43:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just Googled that.

Aside from the smaller mags what is the difference?

I really like the option to switch between safety and decocker.

You are the front runner so far. I'm intrigued.

The P07 is slightly smaller in both barrel length and grip size.  It still manages to hold 16+1 with a flush mag, though I don't know how!  Mine is a sweet shooter, and was very inexpensive.  If you like the SP01 phantom grip I imagine you'll like the PO7's as well.  It's a great size/shape for concealed carry.  I'd never try to carry my SP01, it's huge.  

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-p07-duty/

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:43:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I probably like the Shadow or Tactical better. All steel plus the Shadow is known to have a great trigger out of the box.

If I want polymer frame I go Glock, HK, S&W M&P, etc.

For steel, I like CZ.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:44:16 PM EDT
[#18]
XD .45 4" Service model. Great pistol to carry, large capacity, large caliber, consistent trigger pull, lighter than all metal framed pistol.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:50:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Get a Glock 17/19 or S&W M&P 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:53:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

If that's the case you probably won't like a DA/SA gun.  I'd recommend a striker fired gun like an XD or S&W, or an HK USP or P2000 with the LEM trigger.  

I do want a DA/SA gun. I'll just be carrying it SA 95% of the time. I like the option of having the hammer at half cock though.

Can the P-07 have the hammer at 'half' cock with the de-coker option installed?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

I'm pretty sure I want a hammer(CZ, 1911, BHP, Beretta 92, etc.). Then again the point of this thread is to get me thinking of other options.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 9:55:51 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a regular SP01 and absolutely love it. If you do get it, you won't be disappointed. Cocked and locked with a nice crisp trigger pull. Great night sights and a 19+1 capacity. What else can you want?

(And delivery of the loaded PMAG doesn't involve any shipping.)
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

I'm pretty sure I want a hammer(CZ, 1911, BHP, Beretta 92, etc.). Then again the point of this thread is to get me thinking of other options.

If you're looking for that style I highly recommend a Kimber Pro Carry 2 in 9mm. It will lessen your magazine capacity to 9+1, but it would also be a very thin pistol. I do not know if youre looking for this strictly as a range gun or CC though. I recomend hitting up a local firearm shop to try most of the mentioned in your hand, I usually ask here for advice on pistols, but until I hold it in my hand I will not know what my decision is.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:02:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

What you want is a CZ SP-01 Shadow. The trigger is sweeeeeet, and it has a safety.

I have a normal SP-01 and it is nice, too, but the trigger needed polishing. The Shadow comes ready-made.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:04:02 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

What you want is a CZ SP-01 Shadow. The trigger is sweeeeeet, and it has a safety.
Great range or home defense gun, as is my SP01, but not so good for carry.  

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:Great range or home defense gun, as is my SP01, but not so good for carry.  

Yes, it is heavy for carry. And the Phantom is wide. The best ccw gun is the P-01 condition 0.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:06:59 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:Great range or home defense gun, as is my SP01, but not so good for carry.  

Yes, it is heavy for carry. And the Phantom is wide. The best ccw gun is the P-01 condition 0.
A wonderful gun as well and one I plan to add to my CZ collection.  The P07 does a great job of filling that role too, lighter and just as compact.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock

God-fucking DAMMIT. I am literally SICK of this fucking BULLSHIT. What was that, 20 fucking seconds?

Would you fucking "HURR DURR GLOCK GERNADE" morons just fucking STOP? PLEASE!

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

You're right.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

If you're looking for that style I highly recommend a Kimber Pro Carry 2 in 9mm. It will lessen your magazine capacity to 9+1, but it would also be a very thin pistol. I do not know if youre looking for this strictly as a range gun or CC though. I recomend hitting up a local firearm shop to try most of the mentioned in your hand, I usually ask here for advice on pistols, but until I hold it in my hand I will not know what my decision is.

Every 1911 and CZ I've tried felt great in my hand. The BHPs an 92s felt a little to wide 'east and west' if you see what I'm saying.

A 1911 is not off the table and my budget is VERY flexible so if you have a suggestion throw it out there.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:13:14 PM EDT
[#30]
ETA:

I am considering 1911s but only in .45.

Thanks for all the suggestions every one.

This race is wide open even though chairborne is leading slightly at the moment. That P-07 is looking sexay.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#31]
You want an CZ75 B SA. The trigger is great, but you'll probably want to get the improved hammer from the custom shop anyways. Tritium sights or target sights can't hurt either. You can still get 19 round mags (I have one on right now). I've found with my DA/SA I really don't care about the DA. If there's a failure I'm racking it to get the dud out anyways.

It handles like the SP-01 only better.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:19:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Glock

God-fucking DAMMIT. I am literally SICK of this fucking BULLSHIT. What was that, 20 fucking seconds?

Wow someone's panties are in a wad.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:23:34 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Glock

Seriously, some people don't get that it's the same as calling a possum a cat around here.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Glock 17 or 19.  Best handgun on the planet bar none.

Relatively Inexpensive (especially with LE or MIL discount)
Cheap plentiful Mags
9mm is still pretty cheap also
consistant trigger pull
Good aftermarket (if you are into that)
Probably the most simple manual of arms (desirable for combat, defensive or duty weapon)
Polygonal rifling
accurate enough http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zFd3kF6LHz4&feature=SeriesPlayList&p=7A3EDDBBE4AC37D1

I'm just now able to re-read all the posts.

You made a good case for the GLOCK but until the '4th-gen' with the slimmer grips I can't even consider them. I guess I just have stubby fingers.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#35]
For a .45 1911 Springfield Mil-Spec. It runs great out of the box, and comes with a lifetime warranty. It comes with 2-7rd magazines.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:33:30 PM EDT
[#36]
In....

Standby for the update.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:34:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I have a regular SP01 and absolutely love it. If you do get it, you won't be disappointed. Cocked and locked with a nice crisp trigger pull. Great night sights and a 19+1 capacity. What else can you want?

(And delivery of the loaded PMAG doesn't involve any shipping.)

Definitely a bonus.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:43:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
You want an CZ75 B SA. The trigger is great, but you'll probably want to get the improved hammer from the custom shop anyways. Tritium sights or target sights can't hurt either. You can still get 19 round mags (I have one on right now). I've found with my DA/SA I really don't care about the DA. If there's a failure I'm racking it to get the dud out anyways.

Hmmm...

I did not know there were this many CZ's.

I do like the safety and SA ability but I think I've gotten spoiled thinking about the lights I can put the rails.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For steel, I like CZ.

They also do some nice stuff in aluminum...
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:50:00 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmmm...

I do like the safety and SA ability but I think I've gotten spoiled thinking about the lights I can put the rails.

I have a crimson trace on mine. I've found it works quite well in low light. I can see how if you were on the offensive and looking for something (ie a cop) you would want a light but I've never needed a light. I wish I had gotten the SA. There were things I thought I wanted in my CZ but I got wrong. I should have gotten the SA. The reset alone makes it worth it.

Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:54:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Glock

Seriously, some people don't get that it's the same as calling a possum a cat around here.

Or any other animal a possum.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#42]
XDM 9mm.

It feels better in my hand then the CZ (subjective, but at least give it a try).

19 +1

Lighter weight by almost 10 ounces.

Stays in my hand better (better grip serrations)

I liked the trigger more then the CZ.

More "mainstream" (might be a non issue, but if you have issues Springfield is a much bigger player in the US market)

Again, subjective, but I don't like how little slide there is to grab on the CZ.  I realize there are other ways to rack it that compensate for it, but I like to have the same basic manual of arms for all my pistols.  Yes, I realize that it helps with recoil.  I don't care.  The XDM has so little recoil it doesn't matter in any case.

I loved the CZ until I pulled the trigger and racked the slide.... YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:18:51 PM EDT
[#43]
Actually, ask CZ. I believe many of their SA/DA's and be converted to SAO
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:20:19 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
XDM 9mm.

It feels better in my hand then the CZ (subjective, but at least give it a try).

19 +1

Lighter weight by almost 10 ounces.

Stays in my hand better (better grip serrations)

I liked the trigger more then the CZ.

More "mainstream" (might be a non issue, but if you have issues Springfield is a much bigger player in the US market)

Again, subjective, but I don't like how little slide there is to grab on the CZ.  I realize there are other ways to rack it that compensate for it, but I like to have the same basic manual of arms for all my pistols.  Yes, I realize that it helps with recoil.  I don't care.  The XDM has so little recoil it doesn't matter in any case.

I loved the CZ until I pulled the trigger and racked the slide.... YMMV.

Thanks for the detailed reply.

If I was going striker fired (which I still might) XDms and XDs are at the top of the list.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:24:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Hmmm...

I have a crimson trace on mine. I've found it works quite well in low light. I can see how if you were on the offensive and looking for something (ie a cop) you would want a light but I've never needed a light. I wish I had gotten the SA. There were things I thought I wanted in my CZ but I got wrong. I should have gotten the SA. The reset alone makes it worth it.

I'm going to be moving into a one bedroom apartment soon. I'd like to have the ability to have a weapon light on my pistol for well placed shots.

Right now my HD weapon is an AR-15. I follow all four rules but I don't know if I'd feel comfortable opening up with a 5.56 rifle in a one bedroom apt. complex.
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:28:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Last question before I hit the hay.

Why does it look like the P-07 has a ridiculously sized trigger guard?

Is this an optical illusion or is it really over sized?
Link Posted: 12/17/2009 11:51:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Last question before I hit the hay.

Why does it look like the P-07 has a ridiculously sized trigger guard?

Is this an optical illusion or is it really over sized?

so you can wear gloves.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:04:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I have the CZ P-06 and it was love at first sight. Get it.

Also consider a trigger job - Angus from the CZ Custom Shop does a hell of a job.

Love my P-06. Didn't bother with a trigger job, it's a personal defense handgun. Just worked the grit off by gently squeezing without firing, and it's like glass now.

Also have the P-01, not Phantom, and a 75B with a .22 kit. Absolute blast to shoot!

There's been a CZ 75 in the house for the past 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:33:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
What a nice handling pistol!

19 + 1, adjustable back straps, and ability to carry 'cocked and locked'.

I went to check out some regular SP-01s but as soon ass the Phantom touched my hand it was love at first sight. Perfect grip angle. Large magazines AND on sale. I'm going to buy a Phantom within the week unless some one can talk me out of it.

If you can talk me out of it AND recommend me a better pistol to buy within the next week or two I'll send you a windowed PMAG full of re-loadable 5.56.

Links and coupon codes get special consideration.

ETA: I will ship out a PMAG to whomever makes the best case for their given pistol. I'll fill it with ammo if they sway me from the Phantom.

The Phantom or the Shadow is very high on my list.  I shot a Phantom after an IDPA match and was hooked.  I already have a CZ75BD, but the Phantom beats it.

Link Posted: 12/18/2009 1:38:36 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You're right.

Just cocked I guess.

ETA:

I have a normal SP-01 and it is nice, too, but the trigger needed polishing. The Shadow comes ready-made.

Yup, definitely go for the Shadow!

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top