Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/8/2005 1:14:26 PM EDT
Northrop Grumman's Infrared Countermeasures System Chosen to Protect CV-22 Aircraft Under $125 Million Contract

ROLLING MEADOWS, Ill., Aug. 8, 2005 -- The U.S. Special Operations Command awarded Northrop Grumman Corporation (NYSE:NOC) a contract worth up to $125 million to supply directional infrared countermeasures (DIRCM) systems to protect the aircrews of its CV-22 Osprey tilt-rotor aircraft from infrared-missile attack.

Deliveries of DIRCM systems under a $31.8 million initial firm fixed-price contract will continue through 2010. The initial units delivered will be small, multiband laser-transmitter assembly variations of Northrop Grumman's AN/AAQ-24 (V) DIRCM system, a combat-proven, laser-based countermeasures system.

The only such system currently in production, the AN/AAQ-24 (V) DIRCM is being installed on several hundred fixed- and rotary-wing aircraft for the U.S. military and several allied countries.

Later deliveries will represent the first production order for Northrop Grumman's next-generation infrared countermeasures system, which builds on the proven technology offered by the AN/AAQ-24 (V) DIRCM. In development for the U.S. Air Force, the next-generation system is expected to be complete and certified for military use in 2006. The substantially smaller, lower-cost system will also feature reliability enhancements over the already-dependable system. The system's reduced size and weight will help extend aircraft operational range.

"We are honored that the Special Operations Command has chosen Northrop Grumman to be its supplier for CV-22 anti-missile protection systems," said Bob Del Boca, vice president of infrared countermeasures and laser systems at Northrop Grumman's Defensive Systems Division. "With this contract, Special Operations Command is assured of having the latest generation of infrared countermeasures technology protecting the aircrews of its latest-generation aircraft, the Osprey."

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:16:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds pretty interesting.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:19:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Even though this is an MV-22, I liked the pic so I thought I'd throw it in...enjoy....

Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Tag for ANdy's reply.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
shameless bump for night crew....
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:58:38 PM EDT
[#5]
That thing has some big damned rotors.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Even though this is an MV-22, I liked the pic so I thought I'd throw it in...enjoy....

img.photobucket.com/albums/v442/echohotel12/I34316-2004Sep19L.jpg

I really do like that thing. Damned ugly duckling, but still cool!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I have said it once and I will say it again, these things are very cool watching them fly.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:22:09 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Tag for ANdy's reply.

AN/ALQ-24 Nemesis has been around for years. It's a standard fit on a lot of our planes.

This is one fitted to an RAF Merlin HC-3 Helo, (the same type as the new Marine One)
tinypic.com/a9o2dw.jpg

tinypic.com/a9o2vl.jpg

tinypic.com/a9o51w.gif

www.aiaa.org/aerospace/Article.cfm?issuetocid=206&ArchiveIssueID=26

ANdy

ANdy,

How the hell do you do it?

Do you just run in your back yard, take a few pics, and then post them on the board?!?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top