Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/7/2005 12:59:26 AM EDT
Nice. You can hack a CVS 1 time use Camcorder to be reusable. While it only does about 20 minutes or so it would make a GREAT "party cam" in the sense that your not out a whole lot if it gets lost, stolen, dropped in a beer etc etc.

Click
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:40:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I want one!...or two
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:51:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:52:23 AM EDT
[#3]
What a waste of electronics. First that I have heard of a disposable camcorder...
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:02:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What a waste of electronics. First that I have heard of a disposable camcorder...

But with the hack its no longer disposable.

It'd come to around $40 bucks, probably less. You need to scrounge up and make a cable but that isnt too difficult with even basic soldering knowledge.
40 bucks for a camcorder is a steal. Like I said, it makes a perfect "high risk" situation camcorder for parties or boating or what have you.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 4:20:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Great - I knew it would not take long toi hack.  I told the CVS guys that the first day they came out, and they said it would never happen...I told them yeah, sure...    Now I guess they will be charging a deposit.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:36:58 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

These things get returned and recycled.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Cool,

but I will have add the IBTL.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:01:40 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Cool,

IBTL? Why? Are you postulating that individuals that purchase camcorders shouldn't be allowed to do what they wish with them?
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:06:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Cool,

IBTL? Why? Are you postulating that individuals that purchase camcorders shouldn't be allowed to do what they wish with them?

Yea I meant to edit that....I just forgot.

Kinda hard to be illegal to hack something like that....I guess.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:33:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Just to let you guys know. I picked up a CVS camcorder from ebay for $32 bucks. I just got it a few minutes ago in the mail.  

Now for the fun part! On to the hacking! Anyone know which site has the best tutorial?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I haven't heard about these - is this a one timer from CVS Pharmacy?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't get too excited.
The guy  who started this thread is a
bit behind the curve...
CVS has already introduced a second
generation unit...It does not work with
the current hacks.

Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:39:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Don't get too excited. The guy  who started this thread is a bit behind the curve...
CVS has already introduced a second generation unit...It does not work with the current hacks.

Guy who started the thread started it early August, when CVS still had first gen camcorders.

I'm not surprised that it only took 2 weeks to get a new generation out...
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#14]
CVS Blows!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 3:45:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

well, i'm sure when you take then in to be processed the manufacturer repackages them and resells them

there's a one use digital camera that got hacked too
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:20:46 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Don't get too excited.
The guy  who started this thread is a
bit behind the curve...
CVS has already introduced a second
generation unit...It does not work with
the current hacks.

That's what I thought and the main reason I didn't rush out to pick on up and try the hack.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:26:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, they may have modified it, but the ones available up in Michigan (CVS pulled out of Northwest Ohio a while back) are functional.  All I need to do is secure my USB port and I've got a handy little pocket camcorder.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top