Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/17/2004 10:03:47 AM EST
I dont want to get into a flame war here on flintlock vs sidelock vs inline and what is REAL muzzleloading and what isnt. I just wanna know if any of you have a CVA muzzleloader and what do you think of it?

good stories
Horror stories

All welcome!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:06:51 AM EST
I own a Thompson Center flintlock.

Wouldn't look at a CVA.

CRC
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:11:37 AM EST
I built a CVA kit when I was a kid many years ago. The bore was rough and grouping is at best terrible. I have experimented with this rifle off and on for over 25 years. Round ball/maxieball. powder charges and barnds of powders. Hell even differing thicknesses of patching material.The best group was about four inches @100 yds. It's just not a quality barrel on this gun. They have probably increased their quality since then.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:19:01 AM EST
CVA stuff has come along way, they can be a good value, esp if you dont have alot of money to spend.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:20:30 AM EST
My friends pimped out CVA Hawken shoots circles around my Thompson Center Renegade. It's ugly but it's a shooter
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:21:40 AM EST
My .54 caplock hawken made by CVA has won me more than a couple shooting competitions in the black powder club around here. My dad built it out of a kit in '90 I believe, and we never had any trouble with it. I never officially measured a group, but I'd say that when I do my part (there's a lOT more variables shooting a front stuffer than with a metallic cartridge rifle) it's around 2-3"@100 yards.
Buffalo bullets are deadly on moose as well in that caliber.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:21:50 AM EST
I had a CVA Caplock Sidehammer once. I would stay away from CVA.

If you are looking at flint/cap guns I would consider Thompson/Center, Lyman, Investarm. There are other goods ones but tend to be more expensive.

I have a Thompson Center Renegade Lower...ugh stock with a 32" Green Mountain .58 cal 1 in 70" twist upper...ugh barrel.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:26:04 AM EST

A good website for muzzleloading info...

www.chuckhawks.com/index2h.muzzleloader.htm

While my T/C Encore w/ 209x50 barrel is very well made, my CVA Optima shoots more accurately. I picked up the CVA for hunting on the nasty days so I could keep my much more expensive Encore out of the rain, snow etc. The Optima cost $179 and with a bit of load experimentation proved to be more accurate than the Encore... Some folks look down on the CVA but for the low initial investment it does provide some great bang for the buck... My Optima is a shooting machine with 90 grains of Triple 7 powder and T/C 300 grain Shockwave sabots.

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:26:12 AM EST
Dixie Gun Works in Union City Tennessee has a great catalog.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:27:12 AM EST
I only own a CVA pistol that I made from a kit a zillion years ago.

But based on it and the other CVA products that I’ve examined, they really wouldn’t be my first choice. The quality, while not godawful, just doesn’t strike me as being very high.

I’ve also got an older Thomson Hawken rifle that is much better quality (though I did have to reharden the frizzen to get it to spark right).

Sorry I couldn’t help more.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:28:07 AM EST
I have an Austin & Halleck Flint Mt. Rifle in .50cal that I'd not trade for all the inlines in the world. That being said, the CVA are ok for a beginner to learn the basics on. After you find out if you're going to like it or not then you can spend more money on a better gun.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 10:35:52 AM EST
I have a CVA 50. cal Hawkins, It was a little rough for the first 30 rounds, then all of the sudden it was like a whole new rifle, after the bbl got season'd up it is a damn fine shooter in the 75-100 yard range.

I would say that the newer CVA rifles are just fine, as long as you are willing to break in the bbl....

I went for 50 rounds nonstop for anything other than to run the bore ( about every 5-7 rounds), and clean the precussion cap hole.

Blasck powder rifles take a little work in the beginning, but once they are shot a little bit, you will have a nice rifle.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:03:55 AM EST
I bought a CVA Hunter bolt last year. First year with a muzzleloader and it shoots just as well as any shotgun with slugs. Good groups out to 100 yards. If I had taken the time to try different bullets and other powders, I may get better groups. Right now I am using Triple 7 with 240 gr Hornaday's, It shoots 2 inch groups at 100 yards. Enough to hit a deer.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:06:59 AM EST
I have a CVA Blazer .50 cal. Cheap price $89. Finnish rough. Blueing weak. Shot perfectly. 3" groups at 100 yards. Did a little work on it. Very reliable shooter.

Bobwrench
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 11:15:09 AM EST
If you must buy a CVA, go to a Rendezvous (black powder shoot) and buy a used one cheaper than you have to pay for a new one. Learn the in & outs of muzzleloading with it and if you want to upgrade, you didn't sink a lot of money into your initial gun.

I bought a $45 Markwell (Spanish import) percussion kit gun and it shot well. Now the only percussion guns I shoot are Civil War replicas. My favorites are flintlocks.

Since you've asked about blackpowder, you might as read something about past marksmen and sharpshooters of the blackpowder era. Click here: Bedtime stories or Sharpshooters' Tales
Top Top