Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:39 AM EDT
Think these things actually work? Or is it better to just have some one come out and do it?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:27:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Not even an I like pie vote? Whats going on around here I leave for 2 days and when I come back no one likes pie?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:53:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I asked "Sweep", a member here who was a chimney sweep, about the product once.  His reply was negative, but I don't remember specifics.  You might be able to search for the posts in the archive.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:56:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You have a flammable substance coating the inside of your chimney.

You have a log that burns REALLY hot and REALLY high.

You have a chimney that probably has not been inspected by a pro in years.

Are you insured?....

Yes...GO FOR IT!!!

No... Get insurance then....GO FOR IT!!!!
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:36:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I have been told by people who own stoves that they reduce the buildup in the flue a great deal but that the manufacturer (whose name escapes me right now) strongly urges that you not toss one in to clean out a lot of creosete because of chimney fires.

EDIT:

www.chimneysweeponline.com/hocslog.htm

And the stuff I was thinking of was made by Rutland and called Safe-T-Flue.  Again, it works a little.  But don't push your luck.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Chimney sweep tools are cheap at Ace Hardware.  However, prepare for a huge mess.  I may try it later this year, but if a pro is cheap enough, I will just have it done.  Being free of black soot in the house may be worth every penny.

Lesson of the day regarding flue fires:

Throw a bag of ice into the fireplace.  The steam will put out the fire, if you notice it in time.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#6]
They don't replace sweeping.  They can reduce the frequency of needing to sweep (kind of like chewing some gums can be a substitute for brushing your teeth temporarily), by reducing build up, but you still need to sweep.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:57:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
They don't replace sweeping.  They can reduce the frequency of needing to sweep (kind of like chewing some gums can be a substitute for brushing your teeth temporarily), by reducing build up, but you still need to sweep.

+10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000.

Nothing that is even remotely safe, will replace mechanical cleaning of a chimney.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:01:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I use it twice a season (winter) burn the log and for weeks everytime you start a fire band the flue before you light it and alot of crud will fall out, it works good!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top