Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 5/23/2005 8:41:01 AM EST
Some of the recent knife threads have lead me to the opinion that CRKT M16 knives are dead fucking sexy and I've been thinking about getting one. Over in another thread a few members mentioned some issues with them opening in the users pocket. Is this only an issue with the SF series of M16 knives or is it the entire model line that is affected?

I'm most interesting in the M16-14M.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:41:29 AM EST
Never had that problem
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:45:24 AM EST
I have the M16-12z and have not had that happen.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:46:42 AM EST
"How do I close my knife"?

???

???

???
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:48:31 AM EST
One of my favorite knive web sites, i've bought several SOG and benchmade knives from them agrussell
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:49:06 AM EST
Never had mine open in my pocket.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:51:05 AM EST
Never had my M16-14 open in my pocket. Not even close.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:52:25 AM EST
mine works perfectly every time
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:53:05 AM EST
Don't play Pocket Pool!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:53:39 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 8:55:32 AM EST by Mauser101]
Specifically I'm referring to the following post from the thread I linked to...

Originally Posted By tweeter:
Dude, I wear an M16 14SF o0n my rack and I figured it out because I read the directions on the back of the package... THEN I threw it away.

BTW, in case you missed the part on the back of the package that said NEVER PUT THIS KNIFE IN YOUR POCKET. It means just that, I had to help a dude out that did this with his knife and he ended up stabbing himself in the leg through his pocket. Badly.

You see, the little "flipper" levers can open it while they rub and catch on the inside of your pocket. Sliced his pocket right open.

I use a CRKT Crawford Falcon for the pocket, learned from that guys mistake.

Don't be that guy.

What I can't figure is if he's talking about just the SF series, because it has that extra flipper thing I suppose.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:54:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By Dolomite:

???

???

???

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:56:19 AM EST
I carry a Microtech UTX-70 in my pocket everyday and it has NEVER opened in my pocket.

WTF is there to snag on, on the inside of a pocket.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:57:28 AM EST

Originally Posted By deimos:

???

???

???

On a side note, my day to day carry knife also has a liner lock system on it. Nobody I have ever lent it to knows how to close it until I show them.

Had a few people cut themselves after I told them how instead of showed them how. "Oh? Push over on this and close....whoops! There goes my thumb."
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:58:08 AM EST
I have a M16-14m and I've never had it open in my pocket.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:01:14 AM EST
my M16-00K has never opened in my pocket, I clip it on so the knife is in the pocket and the clip is outside.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:02:49 AM EST
I've never had that happen, either.

Mine is an M21.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:06:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 9:09:33 AM EST by SO-COM]
I've carried two M16-00K's within the past year (broke the tip on the first one due to abuse) and I've never had a problem. My first one got a bit worn after about 6-7 months of me opening it alot (I'm talking 30+ times a day) and the knife would open alot eiser. I never had a problem with it staying shut though. My newest one has seen alot of daily use itself for the past 3 or 4 months I've had it and its been even better then the first (its a spear tip non-serrated instead of a smooth "tanto", which I would reccomend for just opening boxes or random shit you always find yourself wanting a knife to open.

All that said, only way I could see myself getting one to open in the pocket was by not using the pant clip and getting the tip to stick out a little while pulling it handle first out of the pocket. Even then the flipped on the back of the knife is pushing the blade inwards, so you would actually have to open the knife slightly yourself and have the tip catch the pocket lining for it to open. Story above sounds like a case of the stupids...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:06:30 AM EST
Never had my CRKT knives open in my pocket, but the thumb button tore the shit out of my good pants. And Both CRKT knives I have owned will open up when you drop them, and I drop shit all the time.

I liked my Spiderco Endura better because the light weight handle compared to the blade kept it from opening up if I fumbled it. I like Idiot proof gear!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:09:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mauser101:

???

???

???

On a side note, my day to day carry knife also has a liner lock system on it. Nobody I have ever lent it to knows how to close it until I show them.

Had a few people cut themselves after I told them how instead of showed them how. "Oh? Push over on this and close....whoops! There goes my thumb."

It amazes me how many people, particualrly guys, have no idea how to operate a liner lock.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:18:51 AM EST
I've got a M-16, an M-21 (in my pocket now... OWOWWWWWWWWW!!! j/k) and a KISS .. Never had a problem- they all stay shut.

I wonder if the guy's been messing with the lock tensioner (or whatever it's called) to make it open easier...
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:20:49 AM EST

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

Originally Posted By Mauser101:

???

???

???

It amazes me how many people, particualrly guys, have no idea how to operate a liner lock.

I gotta admit... I hated the liner lock at first. I much preferred the lock on the Spyderco Delicas. But... I got used to it and like it a lot now. *shrug*

BTW I usualy nick myself with every new knife I get... I've had my M-21 for a few month now and haven't done it yet. I hope I'm not saving up for a big gusher...!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:21:46 AM EST
Never had a problem with mine either.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:23:50 AM EST
I have a M16-13SF & it's never opened on me. It's a damn good knife.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:23:57 AM EST
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:19:24 AM EST
Are these 'Automatic'/spring loaded knives you all are talking about??? If not how the hell could it possibly open???.........
Top Top