Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/19/2006 7:15:46 AM EDT
Don't have a link. Just saw it.

A dark, cloudy, hazy night on the beach. Waves breaking in the surf.

Nothing moves.

Waves break.

Nothing moves.

The moon dips behind the clouds. The scene goes almost pitch black.

A moment passes.

The moon comes out again, and all you see is the surf, the clouds, and....... footprints on the beach coming out of the water.

A wave breaks and washes them away.

Then a url appears: www.navy.com/SEALS (or some such thing).

End of commercial.

BRILLIANT!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:20:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Nothing moves.

Waves break.

Nothing moves.

A moment passes.

The moon comes out again, and all you see is the surf, the clouds, and....... footprints on the beach coming out of the water.

End of commercial.

BRILLIANT!

tag for potential link
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:21:37 AM EDT
A link would be real nice
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:23:21 AM EDT
Seen it as well. First time I was half-assed paying attention and missed it. Second time, I saw the whole thing. Excellent ad.

Woody
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:24:42 AM EDT
go to

www.navy.com/seals

its loads on the main page
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:25:03 AM EDT
I've been looking for that old SNL Navy commercial that shows the true Naval experience. Evolutions such as: field day, sweepers, clampdown, painting, needle-gunning, etc. The tagline is something like "Navy. It's not just a job, it's $1.29 an hour."

This was back when SNL was funny.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
I thought the title read "coolest old navy commercial" and I was coming in here to see what the hell you'd been drinking. That does sound cool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:28:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JS98010:
I've been looking for that old SNL Navy commercial that shows the true Naval experience. Evolutions such as: field day, sweepers, clampdown, painting, needle-gunning, etc. The tagline is something like "Navy. It's not just a job, it's $1.29 an hour."

I never saw that, but it's damned accurate!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:39:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:45:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Jarhead_22:
The one I liked was where they show footage of SEALs fastroping down onto the deck of a trawler under way, then some of guys swimming with Draegers and M4s, then some other cool-guy footage, all with a pumping rock and roll soundtrack. Then the music goes quiet and sort of cheesey, the voiceover says "Meanwhile..." and the visual changes to the close up of a guy's back. The camera pulls back to show the guy standing on the lot of a car dealership in front of an ugly assed Astro van or something and the voiceover comes back in: "...some guy is buying a minivan."

I liked that one, too!

Of course, they can only do that with SEALs and pilots, because Lord knows, surface warfare is pretty damned boring.

Sorry, fellow SWOs, but you know it's true.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:58:25 AM EDT

Originally Posted By JS98010:

This was back when SNL was funny.

Port of Call!! Bayonne, NJ!!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:59:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 7:59:41 AM EDT

The one I liked was where they show footage of SEALs fastroping down onto the deck of a trawler under way, then some of guys swimming with Draegers and M4s, then some other cool-guy footage, all with a pumping rock and roll soundtrack. Then the music goes quiet and sort of cheesey, the voiceover says "Meanwhile..." and the visual changes to the close up of a guy's back. The camera pulls back to show the guy standing on the lot of a car dealership in front of an ugly assed Astro van or something and the voiceover comes back in: "...some guy is buying a minivan."

I remember that one.

"...but it's a tactical minivan. Look, the cupholders fit nagalene bottles!"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:08:42 AM EDT
Cool video.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:21:35 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Sylvan:
The Army's ads at least show fairly normal jobs.

Did I miss the one with the lifer E4 supply pouge passing out loaded M16 magazines saying "Pick up THREE magazines gentlemen, THREE, not two, not four, THREE,"
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:24:41 AM EDT
that is cool!
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:12:48 AM EDT

The Navy should be sued for false advertising.
Every ad shows f-18s and SEALs.
Like that is the Navy life for everybody.
The marines ads are more like video games.

Army adverts show everything but Army-type jobs.

When's the last time you ever saw an Army advertisment that involved someone shooting a rifle? Heck, when's the last time you saw an Army advertisement that ever showed a rifle? Let alone a tank, artillery piece, or whatever. It's always "Get money for college", or "Skills for life". Contrast with, say, British advertising where they almost always have shooting and excitement. "Join the Army, be the best at killing the enemy." They keep going on about the 'Warrior Mentality' in the US Army, which advertisement is more likely to attract that sort of person?

NTM
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:18:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Manic_Moran:

The Navy should be sued for false advertising.
Every ad shows f-18s and SEALs.
Like that is the Navy life for everybody.
The marines ads are more like video games.

Army adverts show everything but Army-type jobs.

When's the last time you ever saw an Army advertisment that involved someone shooting a rifle? Heck, when's the last time you saw an Army advertisement that ever showed a rifle? Let alone a tank, artillery piece, or whatever. It's always "Get money for college", or "Skills for life". Contrast with, say, British advertising where they almost always have shooting and excitement. "Join the Army, be the best at killing the enemy." They keep going on about the 'Warrior Mentality' in the US Army, which advertisement is more likely to attract that sort of person?

NTM

Thats what Marines are for. Have you seen their ads? One shows a Marine prone firing his M16 while the D.I. is watching over him. Or climbing a mountain to fight something, the Marine Corps ones are pretty cool too.

Anyone remember the Navy one with the Godsmack song, and the clip of the F14 taking off from a carrier? I always liked that one.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:20:31 AM EDT

I liked that one, too!

Of course, they can only do that with SEALs and pilots, because Lord knows, surface warfare is pretty damned boring.

Sorry, fellow SWOs, but you know it's true.

It may have been boring for you, but then again I doubt you got to do cool stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:26:51 AM EDT
I haven't seen many of those retarded Marines commercials lately. Like where the boy is fighting firedemons or dragons and is transformed from a suit of armor into a marine uniform. Why do that silly shit? Just show Marines doing the cool aspects of their jobs in the field, flying in helicopters and bombing stuff.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:28:14 AM EDT
i love recruiting commercials like that.... the ones that don't tell the whole story.

my absolute favorite are the Air Force ones that make you think that if you go to the recruiters office and sign on the dotted line you will go fly F-22's
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:29:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
i love recruiting commercials like that.... the ones that don't tell the whole story.

my absolute favorite are the Air Force ones that make you think that if you go to the recruiters office and sign on the dotted line you will go fly F-22's

If someone'd dumb enough to enlist based on a TV commercial they deserve to get shafted.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:31:36 AM EDT
Anyone have the spoof air force commercial that was online awhile back? It's got some AF enlistee all dressed up in BDU's and boots, walking around an office taking out trash or filling the copier with paper. It was hilarious.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:33:09 AM EDT
They need a commercial showing us policing up brass at the range, eating MREs and BSing in formation.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:33:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 1BMF:
Anyone have the spoof air force commercial that was online awhile back? It's got some AF enlistee all dressed up in BDU's and boots, walking around an office taking out trash or filling the copier with paper. It was hilarious.

you mean this one?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:33:53 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:34:16 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 20iner:

Nothing moves.

Waves break.

Nothing moves.

A moment passes.

End of commercial.

BRILLIANT!

tag for potential link

No shit!

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:34:34 AM EDT
Has anybody seen the Marine poster with the wolf and the poem about "The strength of the Pack"?

I've been looking for it but can't find it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:45:51 AM EDT
I liked the CVBG commercial showing a Hornet launch and the entire battle group fading into the distance with the voice over," Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of all who threaten It."
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:47:24 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MudBug:
Has anybody seen the Marine poster with the wolf and the poem about "The strength of the Pack"?

Love that poster.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:47:43 AM EDT

you mean this one?

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 10:59:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mmx1:

Originally Posted By MudBug:

www.wulfden.org/1strecon/ReconPix/WolfMarine.jpg
Love that poster.

Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:15:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By dport:

It may have been boring for you, but then again I doubt you got to do cool stuff.

Maybe, but I still can't think of anything that would be so cool in SW to compare with aviation or SEALs or, for that matter, almost anything else.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:24:11 AM EDT

Maybe, but I still can't think of anything that would be so cool in SW to compare with aviation or SEALs or, for that matter, almost anything else.

I happen to think driving a 9,000ton ship 140 feet away from a 30,000 ton ship as being cool. I think doing boardings, looking for pirates as cool. I happen to think missile shoots are cool. I also think mooring a ship with no tugs, only line 2, is cool.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 11:31:13 AM EDT

you mean this one?

Ya thats the one, thanks havent seen it in a while. lol Air show parking
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 12:42:52 PM EDT
Downloadable form:

Navy Seals Macromedia Flash File Right click/Save As, then open w/ your browser.

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 1:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/19/2006 1:45:40 PM EDT by Zaphod]

I happen to think driving a 9,000ton ship 140 feet away from a 30,000 ton ship as being cool. I think doing boardings, looking for pirates as cool. I happen to think missile shoots are cool. I also think mooring a ship with no tugs, only line 2, is cool.

Oh, sure. UNREPS were interesting. Missile shoots are a hoot. Mooring can be fun.

Of course, I did maybe 6 UNREPS in 5 years, and only two missile shoots. It's also no fun to moor a ship when you're nothing but the CO's fucking parrot.

Maybe it was my CO's. Maybe it was the assignments. Maybe it was the optempo. Maybe it was the fact that both my ships went into the yards for months. Maybe it was because I hadn't really wanted to do SWO in the first place. All I know is that SW turned out to be a major bore for me, and I'll admit to being a bit bitter about it. Five years busting my ass just to spend five more years doing boring shit or working in shipyards. Whoopee.

Oh, and remember that we spend 1% of the time doing the stuff you listed, and 99% doing shit like PMS boards, PQS sign-offs, and reading message traffic.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:34:57 PM EDT

Maybe it was the fact that both my ships went into the yards for months. Maybe it was because I hadn't really wanted to do SWO in the first place.

So now we're getting to the ground truth. I can't help your ship schedule. And if you didn't want to be a SWO, sorry my friend I have no sympathy. Life is what you make out of it. The ironic thing is we are now sending kids to NFO that want to by SWOs

Oh, and remember that we spend 1% of the time doing the stuff you listed, and 99% doing shit like PMS boards, PQS sign-offs, and reading message traffic.

It's far more than 1%.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:40:09 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 2:45:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cmjohnson:

Surface warfare seems to be like it would be very, very boring until it actually BECOMES surface warfare. In which event it's probably WAY too exciting. Terrifying, really.

CJ

CJ,
You hit the nail on the head here. Those boys on the CSG and the GONZO were probably bored as hell. Lord knows just how many boardings they had done on deployment. (I saw one DDG that did 180+ boarding on a 180 day deployment!) Then the skinnies started popping off rounds and things got really interesting.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:12:18 PM EDT

The ironic thing is we are now sending kids to NFO that want to by SWOs

You have got to be kidding. Are you saying that more people are wanting to go haze grey and underway than to FLY?

WTF?

As for sympathy, I didn't ask for it. I didn't get into nuke and sub school because I was stupid and didn't study hard enough at USNA. I went SWO because I had no other choice.

It's far more than 1%.

Maybe it is for you. I most certainly wasn't for me.
Top Top