Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 2:53:52 PM EDT
I had to replace a harddrive, and now when I install Company of Heroes, my computer has to clean up damaged registry files and such in Chkdsk on startup

Any ideas what is wrong?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:32:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Are you running DX10, I've heard there has been a whole slew of problems related to Vista, with COH.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 8:47:37 AM EDT
[#2]
just a coincidence,

most likey your harddrive is going bad.     chkdsk over and over on startup =  backup your data and get it replaced ASAP.   im me if you need help  

you just replaced one     make sure your cables are secure to the back of the drive and the system board, might try another ide cable
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 10:07:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't forget to change the oil in your hdd..

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 2:54:09 PM EDT
[#4]
When you get it fixed man, hit me with a PM. I would really like to play some CoH with ya man.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 9:31:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Heat? Fixable

Maybe a bad controller on the motherboard? Bad news

FIRST thing change the cable could be a bad cable.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Tell me more on the MOBO controller.

Waht other signs should I look for?
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
the motherboard controller = integrated on the motherboard =  not fixable unless board is under warranty  

doing this on 3 drives huh.....  something is up with the system.   reset memory, try running on one stick of memory.    and like posted make sure everything is spinning properly and all that good stuff (cpu fan case fans)

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:00:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Ok, fans are good (Have 2 extras to help flow)

Looking at new MoBos now.

Any way to check and see if it is really the controller?

Quoted:
the motherboard controller = integrated on the motherboard =  not fixable unless board is under warranty  

doing this on 3 drives huh.....  something is up with the system.   reset memory, try running on one stick of memory.    and like posted make sure everything is spinning properly and all that good stuff (cpu fan case fans)

Link Posted: 8/15/2007 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#9]
1.  install another harddrive and see if you have the same issue.

2.  (make absolute you have your data backed up before you do this)

switch your harddrive to the OTHER ide channel on the board(typically where you cdrom is) and put the cdrom on the harddrive channel.     see if that helps any

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
1.  install another harddrive and see if you have the same issue.

2.  (make absolute you have your data backed up before you do this)

switch your harddrive to the OTHER ide channel on the board(typically where you cdrom is) and put the cdrom on the harddrive channel.     see if that helps any

1.  Done. I am on the 3rd drive.

2. These have been SATA drives, but I have also had them in different SATA plugs.  SATA1 has my drive in it now, but they used to be in SATA2. (THe connectors on the Motherboard go 2-1-3-4, go figure) Any drive in SATA2 makes the computer spaz out.

So, Im guessin controller issues.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#11]
are the board and drives both sata I  

or are they a compination of sata I and sata II ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:38:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Both SATAII

the numbers I was talking about was the plugs on the MoBo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:42:52 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Both SATAII

Sounds like the controller... new motherboard.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:13:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Both SATAII

Sounds like the controller... new motherboard.

Ok.

Got one on the way, plus a new processor to go along with it.

Figure that I may as well leave this socket 939 stuff for one I can upgrade on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top