Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2001 10:17:15 PM EDT
JERUSALEM (CNN) -- A senior Israeli government minister has been shot in the head in an assassination attempt, police say.

Rehavam Zeevi, a far-right member of Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's government, was taken to Hadassa Hospital hospital in Jerusalem after being shot at a hotel early Wednesday morning.

CNN's Jerrold Kessel said Zeevi had been seriously injured in the shooting.

Zeevi, minister for tourism, had resigned nearly 48 hours earlier, along with another right-wing minister, over concessions to the Palestinians he believed were being made by Sharon.

His resignation would have taken effect on Wednesday. Kessel said it was unclear whether Zeemi had any armed bodyguards with him.

News agencies are saying two men were involved in the shooting, which happened at the Hyatt Hotel in east Jerusalem where Zeemi stayed when parliament was sitting.

Nobody has claimed responsibility for the attack.

Reuters news agency quoted police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby as saying three shots were fired at Zeevi, who was at the entrance to his room in the hotel.

His wife, who had been with him in the dining room, went up to the room and found him lying in the corridor, he added.

Link Posted: 10/16/2001 10:34:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if this was payback for the disco bomb planner who IDF snipers took out earlier?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 12:45:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I wonder if this was payback for the disco bomb planner who IDF snipers took out earlier?
View Quote

It was confirmed.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Ze'evi died this afternoon.
Aside the fact that I think he, and other people like him, didn't contribute to give a good image of Israel abroad because of his estremism, he was always a dimissionary member of a democratic government.

What Israel should do, if Arafat will not deliver the killers to Israel? If Arafat will not show to be a real "moderate" arab stateman and simply will do nothing?

a)should find the responsible ones and put them in front of a regular law court.
b)like a) but instead to terminate them on the spot
c)restraint retaliation (as suggested by Tony Blair) not to damage the peace process and the alliance that Bush put toghether
d)wipe Palestinians away from Middle East.

Think for a moment if somebody shot in the head mr. Rumsfeld, for example...
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 2:48:55 PM EDT
[#4]
The Isralies are finding out that targeted assinations work both ways....
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:32:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Israeli soldiers have taken over the Gaza Airport. Palistinians offered no resistance.
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:46:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I find it interesting that Zeevi is repeatedly referred to as a far-right cabinet member.  He's the minister of TOURISM!  What can he do, set up West Bank Disney?
Link Posted: 10/17/2001 3:50:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I find it interesting that Zeevi is repeatedly referred to as a far-right cabinet member.  He's the minister of TOURISM!  What can he do, set up West Bank Disney?
View Quote

It is his position in the Likud party that is important, not his government job, that is just a perk to get him in the cabinet and get him a salary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top