Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/11/2005 2:25:58 PM EDT
http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/08/11/NORAD/index.html

Airspace exercises to drop references to U.S. Indians
Maneuvers renamed; 'Fencing Brave' to be called 'Fencing Dart'

Thursday, August 11, 2005; Posted: 12:30 p.m. EDT (16:30 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- NORAD, the section of the Pentagon that monitors and assesses U.S. airspace for risks of attack, has decided to delete references to American Indians in titles of readiness exercises by October.

The decision does not apply to the rest of the military.

In July, Adm. Timothy Keating, head of Northern Command and the North American Aerospace Defense Command, sent a memo to the Pentagon that said exercises such as "Amalgam Fencing Brave" will, as of October 1, be referred to as "Amalgam Fencing Dart." As another example: The exercise "Amalgam Warrior" will be called "Amalgam Phantom."

One Army official said he's heard no talk of changing the name of the Army's Apache, Black Hawk or Kiowa helicopters, all of which are named after Indian tribes or leaders.

Last week, the National Collegiate Athletic Association announced that any school with a nickname or logo considered racially or ethnically offensive would be prohibited from displaying them in post-season events.

A spokesman for NORAD told CNN there were no complaints that led NORAD to decide on the name changes. The agency's intent, he said, is to avoid using names that might offend American Indians.

CNN Pentagon producer Larry Shaughnessy contributed to this report.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:31:23 PM EDT
How is this supposed to be offensive??? If anything, the Indian references are more or less remembering and respecting the Indian tribes that lived these lands
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:33:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SevenMMmag:
How is this supposed to be offensive??? If anything, the Indian references are more or less remembering and respecting the Indian tribes that lived these lands

+1

Beats the hell out of me why they think it's offensive. Maybe the'd rather be forgotten.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:36:59 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:44:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:45:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 2:46:25 PM EDT by gus]
So when are they going to make India change the name of their country? I guess "West Indies" will be considered offensive too.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:48:18 PM EDT
One Army official said he's heard no talk of changing the name of the Army's Apache, Black Hawk or Kiowa helicopters, all of which are named after Indian tribes or leaders.

Aren't all Army helicopters named after American Indian tribes? The only exception I can think of is the CH-54 Skycrane.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:53:49 PM EDT
In a related story, Paratroopers with the 82nd Airborne Division were informed that they would face court-martial in the future for yelling "Geronimo!" when jumping out of aircraft.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 2:55:21 PM EDT
Florida is going to court to maintain the Seminole mascot.

www.signonsandiego.com/sports/20050811-9999-6s11briefs.html

The tribe signed an agreement and actually favors it and probably benefits by it yet the NCAA has particularly chosen Florida State as one mascot that they're banning.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:06:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 3:07:13 PM EDT by Nimrod1193]

Originally Posted By nightstalker:

The tribe signed an agreement and actually favors it and probably benefits by it yet the NCAA has particularly chosen Florida State as one mascot that they're banning.

The University of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux) is examining their options following the ruling. If they are ultimately forced to change the team's name, my choice will be the Fighting Seventh Cavalry.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:08:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/11/2005 3:09:48 PM EDT by nationwide]

Originally Posted By Nimrod1193:

Originally Posted By nightstalker:

The University of North Dakota (Fighting Sioux) is examining their options following the ruling. If they are ultimately forced to change the team's name, my choice will be the Fighting Seventh Cavalry.

That works until they play in Montana!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 3:27:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LoginName:

Aren't all Army helicopters named after American Indian tribes? The only exception I can think of is the CH-54 Skycrane.

CH-54 Tarhe you mean?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:19:55 PM EDT
Did anyone who has a dog in this fight actually complained, or did some liberal with nothing better to do whined really loud? Being brave or warrior is offensive? Would they feel better if we start using "Pawnee Pansies" or "Cherokee Chickenshit"?
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 4:28:18 PM EDT
How the fuck does the word warrior have any connotation that is specific to Indians?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:55:31 AM EDT
Well I guess Gen. Jumper is going to have to come up with another gung-ho AF Buzzword. Getting kinda tired of the warrior this warrior that BS anyway.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:07:35 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:11:46 AM EDT

As another example: The exercise "Amalgam Warrior" will be called "Amalgam Phantom."

Since when do the NA's have a patent on the word "warrior"?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:39:48 PM EDT
I'm half Indian and I'm not offended. I really don't care much for "Savages" but if you want to name your team "The Savages", I really don't give a shit. We have much more important issues to worry about in this country. Like why aren't more hurricanes given Afro-American names?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:50:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Seneca-Cayuga:
Like why aren't more hurricanes given Afro-American names?

I can't answer that. But I can say this. We have a tropical storm sitting there in the Atlantic named Irene. If it looks like it's gonna hit the US, weather forecasters on tv should steal the line from Blackhawk Down and start yelling.......

"Irene!"

"Fucking Irene!"

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:13:17 PM EDT
Oh for fucks sake...

The pussification of America continues...

Using names of American Indian tribes and wariors is part of American culture.
It recognizes them as being a part of the evolution of America as we know it today.

Top Top