to law enforcement and transferred to foreign countries for a small
price. The rest are in storage.

The CMP will inspect, grade, and
prepare the pistols to be sold. It will also reimburse the Army for any
costs associated with moving the firearms."

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:48:14 PM EDT
[#1]
CMP better hire some more staff....

ETA: Also, don't worry, they won't be used for service competition, or teaching youth how to shoot, etc. But my guess is they will line the tables at gunshows and the safes of lots of old men.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, I would buy 1.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd be all over that!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:54:45 PM EDT
[#4]
CMP really has a great thing going on the M1, and I took advantage of the low price and great selection.

On these 1911's, I don't think they will be anywhere near a price I can afford.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I would buy one, definitely.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:57:35 PM EDT
[#6]
IN!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

CMP really has a great thing going on the M1, and I took advantage of the low price and great selection.

View Quote

that's what I'd be intrigued by. What would the price be...

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll buy a couple if the price is right.   Whats the timeline for this?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:00:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Why not?

These are probably barely service grade weapons. Even if they are "New Old Stock" they are standard GI grade pistols.

Other than some nostalgia and old school US machining, these aren't that much different than the RIA's.

If they were so great why would there be entire industries around making them better?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:08:27 PM EDT
[#10]
In for sure!
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:08:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Didn't we do this a couple of times last week
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:21:39 PM EDT
[#12]
would they qualify for C&R or not?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Count me in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:28:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Tag.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:30:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

We did.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:31:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I would buy at least one given the opportunity
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Standard rules for ordering firearms from CMP would apply, I suppose. C&R covers one of the requirements.

Once on the secondary market, sure, since these will likely all be WWII-production and earlier.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#19]
It will never happen
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:37:47 PM EDT
[#20]
I had one in 1988 in Korea.  It was a rattletrap.  Shot out.  Not accurate.

But it was a WWII Colt . . .
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:47:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

We did.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We did.

Yup...
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:50:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Why not?

These are probably barely service grade weapons. Even if they are "New Old Stock" they are standard GI grade pistols.

Other than some nostalgia and old school US machining, these aren't that much different than the RIA's.

If they were so great why would there be entire industries around making them better?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

And a 1909 S vdb cent is just another penny that spends the same way.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:54:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

There were 3.5 million M1 Garands made. Not all survived the war or returned to the US, but the CMP has sold many, with more flooding the shelves as they are assembled.
There were 2.7 million M1911 A1s made, but only 108,000 or so making it to CMP, maybe.
This is the going rate for some of the more authentic US 1911's existing.
CMP has never really gone nuts with their prices, but I'm just curious as to what they would charge..
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 1:55:20 PM EDT
[#24]
These weapons of war have no place in the hands of you Civilians.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:02:47 PM EDT
[#25]
The value of the current ones in peoples hands will diminish with this flood of 1911's.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The value of the current ones in peoples hands will diminish with this flood of 1911's.
View Quote

Maybe a little, for a little while. They aren't making any more and the population continues to grow.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I'll be in for at least one.  I'm an old vet.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:16:40 PM EDT
[#28]

Never happen

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:18:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Wasn't there a law, rule, regulation or something that prohibited CMP from selling handguns?

So, if anything............I'm thinking PARTS.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:19:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

Considering that the vast, vast majority of M1911 pistols produced for the US military were manufactured before 1946, I'd assume so.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Considering that the vast, vast majority of M1911 pistols produced for the US military were manufactured before 1946, I'd assume so.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares if they are C & R?

CMP sell's their Garands directly to the citizen after doing their form.

Aloha, Mark
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Has this actually passed both houses and been signed into law?  I know he proposed it, there were several threads on it last week.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:21:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Doubtful I will be able to participate, given California's draconian laws regarding handgun purchases.

If I were allowed to and if pricing is somewhat sane, I would buy one for sure.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:23:17 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There were 3.5 million M1 Garands made during WW2 at Springfield Armory alone, another ~1/2 million at Winchester during the war, plus 637,000 at Springfield post-war, 337,000 Int'l Harvester post-war, and 428,000 H&R post-war, for a grand total of 5,468,772 M1 rifles in US production (cite). Not all survived the war or returned to the US, but the CMP has sold many, with more flooding the shelves as they are assembled.
There were 2.7 million M1911 A1s made, but only 108,000 or so making it to CMP, maybe.
CMP has never really gone nuts with their prices, but I'm just curious as to what they would charge..
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

There were 3.5 million M1 Garands made during WW2 at Springfield Armory alone, another ~1/2 million at Winchester during the war, plus 637,000 at Springfield post-war, 337,000 Int'l Harvester post-war, and 428,000 H&R post-war, for a grand total of 5,468,772 M1 rifles in US production (cite). Not all survived the war or returned to the US, but the CMP has sold many, with more flooding the shelves as they are assembled.

FIFY in bold.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:24:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Please please please please.

And um, please?

I just have a feeling this will get scuttled under the banner of "oh noes! stop deadly military assault pistols from getting into the civilian sector!  These are military grade handguns!"

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:25:09 PM EDT
[#36]
I'd buy three or four.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:25:29 PM EDT
[#37]

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:27:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I was able to se first hand some of the 8,000 pistols sold to LE a few years ago through the surplus program. They ranged from good to excellent with a number of rarer makers in the mix.

I'd love to try and get one if they come available, but I will bet they will be priced high.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:27:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not necessarily.  The govt sandblasted and parkerized everything that launched a bullet between 1938 - 1962.  1911's were "upgraded" to A1's, etc.

Not a lot of original WWI 1911's like this one in that pile:

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Has this actually passed both houses and been signed into law?  I know he proposed it, there were several threads on it last week.
View Quote

did you read the article posted in the OP?
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:30:46 PM EDT
[#41]
That might be the only way I purchase a 1911 again, if the price is right.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:31:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Why not?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why not?

Holy mega derp.  Your logic has blown my mind.  It actually provides the best possible argument against the rest of your drivel.

Literally every single other firearm from that period has become completely obsolete because they are not great.  The 1911 is the only firearm out of hundreds from the era still being produced, and that there are entire industries around making them better is simply a testament to how good they are.

I'm not a 1911 guy, and don't even own one,  but the sheer volume of fail in that post compelled to have to say something.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:32:22 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, and it was not a font of information.  It implies it's a done deal, but it very short of hard facts.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:35:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Yes, and it was not a font of information.  It implies it's a done deal, but it very short of hard facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From the headline of the article in OP:  

Amendment to go before the House later this month
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#45]
National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 was "reported by committee" April 30, 2015.  

This is no where near a done deal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:38:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Please please please please.

And um, please?

I just have a feeling this will get scuttled under the banner of "oh noes! stop deadly military assault pistols from getting into the civilian sector!  These are military grade handguns!"

View Quote

That's been my feeling, since I fist heard about this.

I hope we end up being wrong, but I will be genuinely shocked, if we are.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:40:48 PM EDT
[#47]
How much are we talking here...$200-300, yes.  $500+, no.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah, my interest would be tempered by condition and price, too.

I WOULD pay 500+, for an excellent condition example.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:42:28 PM EDT
[#49]
It will never happen because one of the other post said it wouldn't.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:42:45 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

CMP sells at or near market price and has for years.  They're not fools.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top