1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/1/2018 1:05:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/1/2018 1:08:35 PM EST by Stylz]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:54:33 PM EST
Nice!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 5:58:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:10:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/1/2018 9:12:26 PM EST by Gunwritr]
What was the twist on the rifle? If it has an advertised twist of 1-7 I bet it is actually 1-7.2 or such. The unimpressive accuracy
with the 90 grain bullets could be due to this. I think you are going to see a mass migration towards faster 1-6.5 and 1-6 inch twist
barrels in the future on .224 Valkyrie rifles. The faster twist barrels should provide tighter groups with the 90 grain loads. Plus
with the with the introduction of Sierra's new 95-grain MatchKing you'll want a faster twist barrel. There is no reason to
shoot the 90-grain MatchKing in handloads now that the 95-grain is out with its advertised .600 G1 BC. I'm sure we'll see new bullet
designs, perhaps even heavier than the 95-grain MatchKing introduced in the future as well.

While many companies will start out offering 20 to 24 inch barrels I think you will see a migration towards shorter barrels as happened
with the 6.5mm Grendel. When the 6.5mm Grendel was introduced everyone said it was only good in "long" barrels. This was proven to
be false. I believe you will see the same thing with the Valkryie. Velocities from 11.5 inch barrels are promising and I think the cartridge
will perform very well from 16 inch length barrels. The 90-grain Fusion hunting load combined with a 16-inch barrel should make an excellent
hunting and personal protection load with controlled expansion and nice penetration. I really wish you had shot that into gel rather than the
60 grain varmint load.........oh well.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 9:02:43 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:00:33 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gunwritr:
What was the twist on the rifle? If it has an advertised twist of 1-7 I bet it is actually 1-7.2 or such. The unimpressive accuracy
with the 90 grain bullets could be due to this. I think you are going to see a mass migration towards faster 1-6.5 and 1-6 inch twist
barrels in the future on .224 Valkyrie rifles. The faster twist barrels should provide tighter groups with the 90 grain loads. Plus
with the with the introduction of Sierra's new 95-grain MatchKing you'll want a faster twist barrel. There is no reason to
shoot the 90-grain MatchKing in handloads now that the 95-grain is out with its advertised .600 G1 BC. I'm sure we'll see new bullet
designs, perhaps even heavier than the 95-grain MatchKing introduced in the future as well.

While many companies will start out offering 20 to 24 inch barrels I think you will see a migration towards shorter barrels as happened
with the 6.5mm Grendel. When the 6.5mm Grendel was introduced everyone said it was only good in "long" barrels. This was proven to
be false. I believe you will see the same thing with the Valkryie. Velocities from 11.5 inch barrels are promising and I think the cartridge
will perform very well from 16 inch length barrels. The 90-grain Fusion hunting load combined with a 16-inch barrel should make an excellent
hunting and personal protection load with controlled expansion and nice penetration. I really wish you had shot that into gel rather than the
60 grain varmint load.........oh well.
View Quote
It was advertised as 1:7, the way that I understand is that many companies don't want to buy a new rifling button so they haven't switched over to the 1:6.5 yet. Hopefully when a couple do and start touting better accuracy numbers it will encourage others to do the same.

I can say that I am not the only reviewer to get groups like this with this rifle, the other guy averaged over 2" groups with the same rifle and ammo.

Did you notice that the gel block had already been shot when I sent the varmint round into it? But in the intro it was a fresh block?

Guess what made that other wound channel?
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:34:53 AM EST
View Quote
I agree with your comments on twist rate. I am holding off until I can buy a 1-6 or 1-6.5 twist.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:35:54 AM EST
Originally Posted By 10mm_:
It was advertised as 1:7, the way that I understand is that many companies don't want to buy a new rifling button so they haven't switched over to the 1:6.5 yet. Hopefully when a couple do and start touting better accuracy numbers it will encourage others to do the same.

I can say that I am not the only reviewer to get groups like this with this rifle, the other guy averaged over 2" groups with the same rifle and ammo.

Did you notice that the gel block had already been shot when I sent the varmint round into it? But in the intro it was a fresh block?

View Quote
A couple of mfgs. have said that they will offer faster than 1-7 twists later this year.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 1:15:22 PM EST
Originally Posted By KTM300XCW:

A couple of mfgs. have said that they will offer faster than 1-7 twists later this year.
View Quote
Awesome!
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:53:09 PM EST
Lol. We have two extremes - Andrew is slow and laid back and William needs to switch to decaf.

But we appreciate the vids.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 2:54:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By MikefromTX:
Lol. We have two extremes - Andrew is slow and laid back and William needs to switch to decaf.

View Quote
Haha I don't drink coffee. It's gross.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 5:06:30 PM EST
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Amphetamines?

J/k
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:08:40 PM EST
I've never considered CMMG as a manufacturer of precision rifles, so I am not surprised their rifle is producing +moa groups. The groups shown were far from good.

What model Geissele is in the rifle and do we know where the barrel is coming from? Faxon?

Thanks for the review.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:45:24 PM EST

View Quote
While it was advertised as a 1-7 it may not actually BE a 1-7. Or, it just may be a poor quality barrel, poor chambering job or ?
LaRue's rifles are known to be good performers with a 1-7 inch twist, and I shot a 5 inch group at 800 yards with one.
The CMMG rifles, from your and other results I've heard of, do not seem to be tackdrivers with the 90-grain MatchKing load.
I'd expect they shot very well with the 60-grain load, if they didn't I'd say they have more problems than just twist.

Good insight on the gel test! Looking forward to seeing the 90-grain video......

Link Posted: 2/2/2018 10:47:03 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/2/2018 10:56:42 PM EST by Gunwritr]

I agree with your comments on twist rate. I am holding off until I can buy a 1-6 or 1-6.5 twist.
View Quote
I think a 1-6 inch twist with 95-grain MatchKings would likely be an impressive performer at distance.
I'd likely never shoot anything out of it which weighed less than 80-grains.

It's also funny to listen to people talk about what a "long barrel" a 24-inch AR is. The AR I campaigned
Across-the-Course had a 24-inch barrel with an integrally machined 6-inch bloop tube....so 30-inches overall.
If you are shooting past 600 yards the extra 100 fps between a 20 and 24 inch may well be worth it.

But I think barrel length will end up settling out just like it did with the 6.5mm Grendel.......

24 inch for competition
18 inch for hunters
16 inch for general purpose and SHTF
12.5 for SBR/pistol

crunching some numbers the 12.5 inch length would probably perform very well with this caliber......

everyone moaned and gnashed their teeth saying the Grendel needed a long barrel to perform. I proved that was
BS, and my 12.5 inch barrel length is now an industry standard........which is kinda funny. I suspect the same exact
thing will happen with the Valkyrie. Trying to get my hands on a 16-inch now.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 4:59:05 PM EST
Amphetamines?

J/k
View All Quotes

Amphetamines?

J/k
lmao!

I'm just from the north
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:04:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By FALex:
I've never considered CMMG as a manufacturer of precision rifles, so I am not surprised their rifle is producing +moa groups. The groups shown were far from good.

What model Geissele is in the rifle and do we know where the barrel is coming from? Faxon?

Thanks for the review.
View Quote
I really don't think 1.5 MOA is that bad, and I do think that if I took some time I could have gotten it down around MOA but I can only spend so much time per video (Right now).

It's an SSA Trigger.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:05:11 PM EST
While it was advertised as a 1-7 it may not actually BE a 1-7. Or, it just may be a poor quality barrel, poor chambering job or ?
LaRue's rifles are known to be good performers with a 1-7 inch twist, and I shot a 5 inch group at 800 yards with one.
The CMMG rifles, from your and other results I've heard of, do not seem to be tackdrivers with the 90-grain MatchKing load.
I'd expect they shot very well with the 60-grain load, if they didn't I'd say they have more problems than just twist.

Good insight on the gel test! Looking forward to seeing the 90-grain video......

View All Quotes

Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:06:13 PM EST
I think a 1-6 inch twist with 95-grain MatchKings would likely be an impressive performer at distance.

It's also funny to listen to people talk about what a "long barrel" a 24-inch AR is. The AR I campaigned
Across-the-Course had a 24-inch barrel with an integrally machined 6-inch bloop tube....so 30-inches overall.
If you are shooting past 600 yards the extra 100 fps between a 20 and 24 inch may well be worth it.

But I think barrel length will end up settling out just like it did with the 6.5mm Grendel.......

24 inch for competition
18 inch for hunters
12.5 for SBR/pistol

crunching some numbers the 12.5 inch length would probably perform very well with this caliber......

everyone moaned and gnashed their teeth saying the Grendel needed a long barrel to perform. I proved that was
BS, and my 12.5 inch barrel length is now an industry standard........which is kinda funny. I suspect the same exact
thing will happen with the Valkyrie. Trying to get my hands on a 16-inch now.....
View All Quotes

24 inch for competition
18 inch for hunters
12.5 for SBR/pistol

That would be fantastic honestly. Although I still love me some long barrels lol
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:46:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 2/4/2018 9:47:36 PM EST by Gunwritr]
I really don't think 1.5 MOA is that bad, and I do think that if I took some time I could have gotten it down around MOA but I can only spend so much time per video (Right now).

It's an SSA Trigger.
View Quote
Let's be honest, for an actual 24 inch heavy barrel AR precision rifle with high magnification optic, 1.5 MOA is bucket grade with Gold Medal Match.
Bucket.

But, your honest reporting can help the company to further improve the product so you are doing a service to both your viewers and the company
by showing exactly how it performed.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:24:39 AM EST
Let's be honest, for an actual 24 inch heavy barrel AR precision rifle with high magnification optic, 1.5 MOA is bucket grade with Gold Medal Match.
Bucket.

But, your honest reporting can help the company to further improve the product so you are doing a service to both your viewers and the company
View All Quotes

It's an SSA Trigger.
Bucket.

Adding that to my vocabulary lol.

And thanks man! I always tell it like it is
Top Top