Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2007 6:43:58 PM EDT
Hmmm....apparently reports of his death were greatly exxagerated, and a huge Thank You to the Pakis for allowing this to happen.

HH
--------------------------------------

CIA: Bin Laden In Pakistan Establishing New Camps

February 27, 2007 6:56 PM

Brian Ross and Z. Byron Wolf Report:

In the most definitive statement in years, America's top intelligence official said Tuesday Osama bin laden is in Pakistan actively re-establishing al Qaeda training camps.

The newly appointed Director of National Intelligence Jack McConnell made the assertion about bin Laden and his No. 2 man, Ayman al Zawahri, in testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee.

Referring to Pakistan's rugged tribal area, McConnell said "to the best of our knowledge that the senior leadership, No. 1 and No. 2, are there, and they are attempting to re-establish and rebuild and to establish training camps."

Until now, U.S. intelligence officials had declined to publicly identify, with such certainty, the location of bin Laden although he has long been suspected of hiding in Pakistan near the border with Afghanistan.

McConnell's testimony came the day after the CIA deputy director, Stephen R. Kappes, flew to Pakistan to confront President Pervez Musharaff with "compelling" evidence that new al Qaeda training camps were being established on Pakistani territory.

U.S. officials would not describe the evidence in any detail, but people in the intelligence community have speculated recently that the CIA may have obtained surveillance photos of either bin Laden or Zawahri in Pakistan.

McConnell's public testimony was followed by a closed, secret session with senators.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#1]
But if I read correctly in the book "america's secret war", there is a big area on their border with afghan that has always been pro taliban and hostile to pakistan ittself and and that pakistan's military doesn't even operate there. I always envision an operation annaconda 2 on a much bigger scale somewhere along the border there eventually.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:50:39 PM EDT
[#2]
... I want to see some works, not words from Pervez Musharaff. Pakistan gets a shitload of my taxdollars.

... He should produce a toweled head on a platter for us
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
... I want to see some works, not words from Pervez Musharaff. Pakistan gets a shitload of my taxdollars.

I can live with that!
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#4]
bin laden in pakistan. pakistan has nukes. Can't destablizize pakistan, possibly putting extremists in control of nukes. hell, i'm sure that musharaff pos is a noriega-type puppet, just with nukes so we can't invade him for misbehaving.

Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
bin laden in pakistan. pakistan has nukes. Can't destablizize pakistan, possibly putting extremists in control of nukes. hell, i'm sure that musharaff pos is a noriega-type puppet, just with nukes so we can't invade him for misbehaving.

Having the Pakis with nukes, and being so fragile in their .gov, creates a Catch-22 for us.  We have to take the lesser of two evils, and either way it ain't pretty.

HH
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:12:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Solution is simple.  Pakistan conducts nuclear tests on its own land.  So happens Bin Laden is in the area.  What happens?  Pakistan's President has his threats removed.  Pakistan proves itself a loyal ally.  United States gets its money's worth from our subsidies to Pakistan.  U.S. Taxpayers sleep better.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:15:24 PM EDT
[#7]
And if we KNOW ubl is in pakistan, why don't we KNOW that we killed his ass? We KNOW that he's walking around in pakistan, breathing? Go get him. I know it's not that easy, but it's that simple.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:15:48 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

He can't

Musharaff has zero control of that area and is losing cotrol of areas that were his.
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But if I read correctly in the book "america's secret war", there is a big area on their border with afghan that has always been pro taliban and hostile to pakistan ittself and and that pakistan's military doesn't even operate there. I always envision an operation annaconda 2 on a much bigger scale somewhere along the border there eventually.

Oh it is far worse than that now the Pakistani Government last year signed the Waziristan Accord with the tribes (and Taliban/Al Qaeda) in the Pakistani border area that amounted to giving them autonomy if they would stay put.

The Taliban/Al Qaeda is now securely established there without interferences from the Pakistani Government and in violation of the above agreement expanding deeper in to Pakistan proper
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 7:46:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Have we been active in the area at all?  Even covertly?

-K
Link Posted: 2/27/2007 8:20:27 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

-K

We have covertly in the past but now that the Pakistani Government had run away from the area who knows how active we are.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 3:18:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Solution is simple.  Pakistan conducts nuclear tests on its own land.  So happens Bin Laden is in the area.  What happens?  Pakistan's President has his threats removed.  Pakistan proves itself a loyal ally.  United States gets its money's worth from our subsidies to Pakistan.  U.S. Taxpayers sleep better.  

works for me
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 3:26:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Musharref cut a deal before Christmas with AQ.

In return for him releasing 2,600 AQ prisoners and turning a blind eye to them setting up new camps inside the Pakistan tribal territory, they promised to leave him alone and direct all their attacks at coalition forces in Afghanistan.

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 3:26:26 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-K

We have covertly in the past but now that the Pakistani Government had run away from the area who knows how active we are.

We have to be fairly active in that area, the DoD has a lot of assets in that area of the world with which to run missions.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 3:50:02 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a whole string of provinces in Pakistan along the Afghanistan border that is called the tribal area, and is very heavily in Taliban/extremist control. The Paki government has zero influence there, and they do not have troops there. They have in the past, but it would be an extremely hard nut to crack even for us let alone the Paki's.

Quite a few of the "assinations" of Taliban/AQ leadership in the tribal area IMO has come from Predators and other UAV's but we always deny it ofcourse. There's footage of a crashed UAV that Ive seen but it would be kinda easy to show a pile of junk and its not hard to replicate our markings on a few peices, but I think its pretty obvious. Im sure we've got assets in the sky over the region just taking a look.

It would be absolutely horrible if a revolt in Paki led to the AQ types to get ahold of that countries nukes, and we're kinda fucked either way. Whats worse? Bin Laden training some more souls for the meat grinder or going in there and kicking a huge hornets nest, there is a revolt, and the Taliban/AQ go nuclear...

Link Posted: 2/28/2007 3:56:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It would be absolutely horrible if a revolt in Paki led to the AQ types to get ahold of that countries nukes, and we're kinda fucked either way. Whats worse? Bin Laden training some more souls for the meat grinder or going in there and kicking a huge hornets nest, there is a revolt, and the Taliban/AQ go nuclear...

It's a pretty safe bet that if Musharref falls to an Islamist coup, India will nuke Pakistan till it glows to ensure those nukes do not get into the hands of the RoP®

ANdy
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:01:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

In return for him releasing 2,600 AQ prisoners and turning a blind eye to them setting up new camps inside the Pakistan tribal territory, they promised to leave him alone and direct all their attacks at coalition forces in Afghanistan.

ANdy

Andy I love reading your posts but sometimes their content makes me shudder just the same. Some "compromise" from Musharraf there.

Always good insight.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:04:43 AM EDT
[#18]
TO MISquote Churchill, "Pakistan is a mystery wrapped in an enigma". The plain fact is Pakistan is a fucking POWDER KEG waiting to go off. Its not that much different than IRan in that respect the only difference being that Pakistan still has a "shah" (mushariff) and Nukes, while Iran has no Shah but no nukes either. Again we aMericans are living in a day dream concocted in the Cold war. WE think Pakistanis like us cause Mushariff is our "friend". Horseshit. THey hate our guts to high heavan. They are on the verge of revolt and civil war and only Mushariifs TENUOUS hold on power keeps them in line. But if the slightist thing goes wrong he could be overthrown. Hence Pakistans inability to do anything. His forces could'nt fight their way out of a paperbag.
            So the intelligent thing to say is "ok, we'll convertly find these cocksuckers and launch a missle from 1000 miles away!" Been there, done that. We thought Al-zawhahiri was in a certain house in some tribal area and launched a missle. We destroyed the house but he was'nt there. When the US announced they had launched the missle the entire country broke out into riots! (but but but.......we tried to kill Terrorists! dont they like us for that? the whole country??) NO! FATHEAD! GET IT THOROUGH YOUR HEAD THAT WHOLE COUNTRY HATES US! (but dont worry folks, all the apologists say the mantra "hearts and minds" ) It was only pure luck that the army was able to restore order to prevent Mushariffs overthrow. Imagine if you will that AQ manages to topple the GOv't with riots and manages to get ahold of Nukes!
So that is basically the state of affairs in Pakistan. No action on thier part, none on ours and the Terrorists can do as they please. The only "action" we can take is when we patrol the border areas, they make an incursion, we kill as many as we can, they run back to the "safe zone", Pakistani territory, Which we will NOT go into and so it shall be, until time ceases to exsist. They did it to Russia in the 80's, now they are doing it to us.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:07:45 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Whats worse? Bin Laden training some more souls for the meat grinder or going in there and kicking a huge hornets nest, there is a revolt, and the Taliban/AQ go nuclear...

... Trying to sleep nights knowing my taxdollars are going toward "Paki Payola" instead of activity working Osama's termination via a well structured plan from the Musharaff government
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Let the AQ get control of paks nukes, It will all be over very quickly
Pakistan will be a desolate wasteland (Worse than it is already!) in about 5 minutes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:39:18 AM EDT
[#21]
5 Words.

BACK TO THE STONE AGE!
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 4:47:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Pakistan is the GWOT's Laos/Cambodia.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 5:02:24 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Let the AQ get control of paks nukes, It will all be over very quickly
Pakistan will be a desolate wasteland (Worse than it is already!) in about 5 minutes.

Hmmm. We do not have to woryy about Paki loyalty. ubl and his top guys are dust. We can stop dumping tax dollars into Pakistan. India did the dirty job.

Then we send our diplimats to Israel with a wink and a nod.  Think that would shake up Iran.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 8:35:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

ANdy

Andy I love reading your posts but sometimes their content makes me shudder just the same. Some "compromise" from Musharraf there.

Always good insight.

It should make you shudder... they lied to Musharraf (who da thunk it) and are attacking further in to  Pakistan. Musharraf will be lucky if he survives the year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 8:49:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Step one, telegraph to the world that Waziristan is off limits
Step two, watch Taliban and AQ camps get set up, recruits pour in.
Step three, no obvious overflights and complain uselessly about it to lull them into complacency.
Step four, draw up detailed targetting coordinates
Step five, wait until someone of value shows up, and hit them in a shock-n-awe blitz involving hundreds of planes and missiles dropping thousands of bombs (including the big MOABs) on thousands of targets.

Step six, let the MSM find out for themselves whether or not this happened.

Link Posted: 2/28/2007 8:50:09 AM EDT
[#26]
I wonder where his money is rolling from.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 8:53:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Pakistan is not being very friendly lately.

Link Posted: 2/28/2007 8:59:37 AM EDT
[#28]
" Hello Lockheed?........this is Carl in purchasing.......yes we need to place a large order please........ASAP........."
http://www.lockheedmartin.com/wms/findPage.do?dsp=fec&ci=17825&rsbci=0&fti=112&ti=0&sc=400

JADAM them right to hell!
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#29]

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"
- G.W. Bush, 9/17/01, UPI

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."
- Bush, in remarks in a Press Availablity with the Press Travel Pool,
The Prairie Chapel Ranch, Crawford TX, 12/28/01, as reported on
official White House site

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:03:05 AM EDT
[#30]
Why don't they send in a Navy Seal team and smoke his ass.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:07:38 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

"The most important thing is for us to find Osama bin Laden. It is our number one priority and we will not rest until we find him."
- G.W. Bush, 9/13/01

"I want justice...There's an old poster out West, as I recall, that said, 'Wanted: Dead or Alive,'"
- G.W. Bush, 9/17/01, UPI

"...Secondly, he is not escaping us. This is a guy, who, three months ago, was in control of a county [sic]. Now he's maybe in control of a cave. He's on the run. Listen, a while ago I said to the American people, our objective is more than bin Laden. But one of the things for certain is we're going to get him running and keep him running, and bring him to justice. And that's what's happening. He's on the run, if he's running at all. So we don't know whether he's in cave with the door shut, or a cave with the door open -- we just don't know...."
- Bush, in remarks in a Press Availablity with the Press Travel Pool,
The Prairie Chapel Ranch, Crawford TX, 12/28/01, as reported on
official White House site

"I don't know where bin Laden is. I have no idea and really don't care. It's not that important. It's not our priority."
- G.W. Bush, 3/13/02

"I am truly not that concerned about him."
- G.W. Bush, repsonding to a question about bin Laden's whereabouts,
3/13/02 (The New American, 4/8/02)

Okay, you've found excerpts from quotes taken out of context.

Find the rest of them now.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:08:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Someone needs to Jam some Culture somewhere else...
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:17:11 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Why don't they send in a Navy Seal team and smoke his ass.

I still think he is dead.
Link Posted: 2/28/2007 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#34]
I think he's dead too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top