Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2002 9:20:35 AM EDT
Need help with cd rom.

I have a sony vaio lap top with a cd rom / cd read write combo drive.

I made a copy of a cd last night (Lynyrd Skynyrds greatest hits).

When it finished, the cd rom would not read any cd, tried several, music and data.

I use the cd a lot, map program and gps, to get around to job sites.

So far I have:
  rebooted several times.
  ran windows XP trouble shooter.
  unpluged and removed battery overnight.
Nothing worked and I am totally confused.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,  Cretescreeder
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Man, it's the copyright police...just pulling your leg. Can you remove the CD Rom drive itself? I would try that. Re-seating it might work.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#2]
No, did not try that.

I'll see what happens.

Thanks a bunch.

BTW, my cd, just wanted a copy for the truck [;)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#3]
RATS!!!

The cd bay is not removable.

Only the floppy is, for extra bat.

Any ideas????
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:21:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry [b]cretescreeder[/b], I don't have any experience with Sony's.

btw...Do you have a copy of Tom T. Hall for your truck too!![;)]

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#5]
[beer]  

[:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:34:47 PM EDT
[#6]
See if the burn software is still running. It may have hold of the cd rom drive and not let any other program access it. So it would seem like it can't play or read anything else. I don't know what you used, unless you used the crap that is preloaded on the viao, in which case see if it is set to auto run now, or if it is still loading because it doesn't think you are done burning.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
How old is this CD? New CDs (a year or less old) have a new form of copy protection on them that can damage your CD drive. How exactly this happens, I am not sure, but I'll look into it and repost. I have heard several stories about prople's CDROMs being damaged by this. For the moment, I would advise everyone to not play new CDs in their CDROMs....

Link Posted: 10/8/2002 1:53:49 PM EDT
[#8]
See the following:

[url]http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php3?ID=3799[/url]

[url]http://home.pacbell.net/kjohns/copyprotect.html[/url]

[url]http://www.vnunet.com/News/1131719[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:10:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replys everyone. Had to leave for awhile but I'm back.

I don't think the burner software is running but not 100% sure.

The program "closed the cd" when it was done.

The soft ware I used, and this wierd, was Roxio Easy CD Creator 5.
The weird part is the Roxio software started but so did Windows Midea Player, kinda like Roxio turned over to Windows Midea.

When the burned cd was finished, it would play on my other computer but would not play on the stereo.

When I put a cd in the tray on the laptop and close the door, the little cd icon flashes next to the curser but will not read.

What ya'll think  
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:46:49 PM EDT
[#11]
There is also a problem with the built-in Roxio burning software when you also have the full version of Roxio Easy CD Creator 5. This usually causes the machine to reboot when you go to shutdown, but I suppose it could be related. There is a patch available from Roxio's site.

Troy, there is a new CD copy protection that can screw with the firmware of your CDROM drive, which could very well render the drive non-operational. I have heard of a couple of iMacs and one PC that have been affected by this. It is obviously a bigger problem with the iMacs, as the drives in them are much harder to replace. It obviously has Apple worried, they are advising their customers not to use their CDROM drives for music CDs. I know of no PC makers who are advising against it, however.

Link Posted: 10/8/2002 3:57:02 PM EDT
[#12]
So basically, Lynyrd Skynyrd ate my fricken cd drive??
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Only if it is a newer disk that has something to the effect of "will not work in PCs" on the disk somewhere. At least in some cases. Some of these disks are not labeled. It would have to be a relatively new disk that has the key2audio copy protection on it. It could just as well be a concidence. I personally would try the Roxio update first and then check both Roxio and Microsoft's troubleshooting databases for simular problems.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:22:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Again, thanks for the advice.

I checked the Skynyrd cd, it's 2000,2 years old.

I hit ctrl, alt, del, to bring up every thing running in the back ground. If the Roxio was running wouldn't it have soming like "Rox.ect" showing?

I'll do the Roxio update deal and see what happens.

Once again, thanks to all who responded.

P.S. It's raining so I won't be pouring any concrete for awile --- think I'll just get a beer!  
[beer]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Not likely that is the case, then.

You might check with Sony. Especilly if the PC is still under warrenty. This might be a known issue. It does sound a lot like a hardware failure.....
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 4:42:49 PM EDT
[#16]
[url]http://www.lug.org/summer2002/CDROMs&XP.[/url]

Not exactly what you describe but might be helpful.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.lug.org/summer2002/CDROMs&XP.[/url]

Not exactly what you describe but might be helpful.
View Quote

Thanks but I couldn't get it to load.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:47:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Don't get excited as I did the same thing with Roxio 5(which is the best burnner program i have had so far)  you have just burnt it as a data cd as opposed to a audio cd!   Look at your settings taskbar and change from data to audio cd then the burn will work on cd players!

Bob  [:D]
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
WAIT!

You aren't going to damage your CD drive by playing or ripping a CD!

The most likely problem here is that the CD-R wasn't "closed".  When you make a music CD, you must "close" the session (and there can only be one session) or the CD won't be read in most CD players.  You should see a check box or option to "close CD" when you are recording it.

It would help to know what software you were using, BTW.

-Troy
View Quote

I think he is having trouble with the drive, not the CD-R he ripped and burned.....

Scott

Link Posted: 10/8/2002 10:04:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah with Roxio or any other burner program,you can burn as many as 35 or so songs as data,but they will only play on your or somebody elses computer as MP3.   But you can copy them back again to a folder then copy them as audio and you will get only 12 to 17 of them as songs that will play on your CD player!

Its not about his drive,burner,or cd!  Its about his settings when burning!

Cds to be played on a car or home Cd player must be burned in audio mode on roxio-5 gold or platnum!          I do this a lot when my home data base gets way to full,just burn them all as data,then delete the home files!  They are allwats there for later resurection!

Bob   [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top