Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/4/2006 12:11:17 PM EDT
Basic rundown,

a credit card was filled out in my wife's name/ss and used in 2003, we somehow just got the collection bill a few months ago. I'm taking a wild guess (after knowing her family) it's either her mother and/or father who filled a card out in her name.

Now, my wife wants to just forget about it and pay it off, not a huge bill really ($1500) in the grand scheme of things but I've tried to convince her that I'm not paying my hard earned money for someone who did this. Again we haven't found out who, but this is my best guess as seeing a large percentage of this happens within the family.

I'm really pissed off for a few reasons. One I like her parents and it's hard for me to accept (although it wouldn't surprise me) that they did this and haven't told us. Two, she is scared to confront them about it if it turns out to be the case.

They've borrowed money from me/us before to pay off way over due collections on their house, and I gave the money to them, took them forever to pay us back.

What can I do legal wise if it happens to be the case that they are responsible? What can I do if it's not them but we find out who?

thanks.

-mark
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:13:33 PM EDT
first thing you want to do is alert the CC company that it was an identity theft, and then you want to get more info before pointing any fingers. you may suspect her parents, but without anything more than a hunch, it probably isnt a good idea to accuse anyone of anything. CC companys take this shit seriously, and should help you figure it out.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:18:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Napoleon_Tanerite:
first thing you want to do is alert the CC company that it was an identity theft, and then you want to get more info before pointing any fingers. you may suspect her parents, but without anything more than a hunch, it probably isnt a good idea to accuse anyone of anything. CC companys take this shit seriously, and should help you figure it out.

that's what we're doing right now. The CC company is being contacted by the collection agency about this, so who knows how long it will take for them to give us the information on what the card was used for. That will probably help.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:19:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:55:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:57:37 PM EDT
DON'T PAY IT

Fight that bad credit. If you pay it, you are basically admitting you did it
Top Top