Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2007 9:17:20 AM EDT
Do you think it is a good idea for people to not carry in bars & restaurants that serve alcohol?
I carry in Colorado that allows you to carry in bars & restaurants but you aren't allowed to be intoxicated while packing.
I like this system because many of the places I want to go I prefer carrying in.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:19:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2007 9:19:19 AM EDT by CZ75_9MM]
Possession of a firearm while intoxicated in MO = Felony
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:19:49 AM EDT
No bars.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:20:38 AM EDT
As long as you aren't drinking in a bar i don't see why you can't carry. It is however illegal in Texas.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:20:43 AM EDT
And I will occasionally drink, (Limit of one!) if I am in a restaurant or bar.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:21:06 AM EDT
Kind of a toss up with me. I dont think they should make it illegal to do so... but...

I know when I CCW I dont drink.

Someone else might have a different view on it though and decide to 'have a few'. If something happens, and that something goes wrong.... it's going to look bad on the 'drunk civilian went postal with a legal weapon' thing.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:21:12 AM EDT
Texas has it right.

In Ohio, any BAC above 0.00000% is illegal while carrying a firearm.

Jeff
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:32:44 AM EDT
In SC any establishment that serves alcohol for on premises consumption is a no-go with CCW.

IIRC they were trying to change this to the 51% rule similar to FL. As long as less than 50% of the revenue is from alcohol it's good to go for CCW.

That said when I do go to FL I always carry into bars/resturaunts and I'll generally have a drink or two over the entire course of a meal. I would never carry if I were to go out to drink with friends though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:40:56 AM EDT

Not legal in NC...just like SC, you cannot CCW in any establishment in which alcohol is being sold for consumption on the premises. Therefore, most restaurants are "no carry".
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:45:35 AM EDT
Legal in PA. If you aren't a responsible person, no law is going to make you one.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:48:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Magoo6541:

IIRC they were trying to change this to the 51% rule similar to FL. As long as less than 50% of the revenue is from alcohol it's good to go for CCW.

I think it's the same in MO, but I always wondered how the hell are we supposed to know that - ask for their financial statements with the menu
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:52:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DavidC:
Legal in PA. If you aren't a responsible person, no law is going to make you one.

That should be carved above the entrance to every legislative chamber.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:55:57 AM EDT
I happen to believe that options 1 and 2 are not necessarily exclusive.

I voted Let people carry in bars & restaurants because that was closest to my line of thought... But I think you should avoid alcohol while around guns.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:00:32 AM EDT
There is no lower limit for intoxication while carrying in Texas.

For CHL holders, one sip = "intoxicated" for legal purposes.

That means you must be a teetotaler while carrying. This rule also extends to ANY intoxicating substance.

For MOST people in a bar, that means they can't legally be carrying - assuming it was allowed in bars, which it is not in TX.

If you are not drinking, then I see no problem with carrying in a bar. Too bad its illegal in most states.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:05:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:

How far do they take this ?

Obviously drunk while carrying would get you in trouble but what about having some drinks while at home with a shotgun in the closet ? Or sitting on the tailgate at hunting camp with your rifle unloaded in the trunk ?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:07:08 AM EDT
Restaurants, yes.

Bars, no.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:11:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2007 10:11:55 AM EDT by packingXDs]
In VA you cannot CC a pistol in places that serve alcohol on premise, however you are allowed to OC.

My two cents, it should not be restricted. You should be able to carry where you damn well please (aside from owner's discretion). However, drinking while carrying is not a good idea. Yet, it still should not be illegal to do so.

Edited for clarity. Damn rum and cokes.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:14:37 AM EDT
Drinking and carrying never mix. If you are not drinking that is fine I would say though.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:16:07 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rxdawg:
Restaurants, yes.

Bars, no.

+1

and go Dawgs!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:16:31 AM EDT
We are permitted to carry in establishments in Kentucky which makes more the 50% of their sales from food.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:26:04 AM EDT
When I go to a bar, the location usually means I should probably be carrying. It is very possible for people to carry in bars and have no problems what-so-ever.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:28:48 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rxdawg:
Restaurants, yes.

Bars, no.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:29:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By doggscube:

Show me where in the all this is. Last I checked, it only said that you could not be intoxicated while carrying.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:44:10 AM EDT

Originally Posted By atrophis:

Originally Posted By doggscube:

Show me where in the all this is. Last I checked, it only said that you could not be intoxicated while carrying.

It's pretty clear regarding a motor vehicle.

As for carrying while not in a vehicle........There's nothing in the CCW book regarding the BAC that I know of.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:47:29 AM EDT

The way it should be.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 10:51:52 AM EDT

Originally Posted By AcogDonut:
As long as you aren't drinking in a bar i don't see why you can't carry. It is however illegal in Texas.

Same in MI
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:00:19 PM EDT
Restaurants legal, bars illegal.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:10:27 PM EDT
Frankly, I'm amazed at how many folks in this thread think that CCW in a bar should be a crime. Why you would want to give the government any more power over you is beyond me.

And anyone that thinks that possesion of a firearm in a place that serves alcohol is in any way a criminal act might as well turn in their guns and vote for Hilarly; you've already accepted her "logic" hook, line, and sinker.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:53:28 PM EDT

Frankly, I'm amazed at how many folks in this thread think that CCW in a bar should be a crime. Why you would want to give the government any more power over you is beyond me.

And anyone that thinks that possesion of a firearm in a place that serves alcohol is in any way a criminal act might as well turn in their guns and vote for Hilarly; you've already accepted her "logic" hook, line, and sinker.

+1

I agree David. People need to be responsible for their actions, and if they cannot carry and remain sober, then they shouldn't be carrying in the first place.

I think you NEED to carry in some bars. But not if you are going to be drinking. If you have 1 beer, I don't think that's going to effect most people's judgement, but the law needs to law a guideline for all people, and it doesn't have the luxury to take it case by case, so either a law against carrying while intoxicated and give a definate BAC that is the legal limit, or a law that says you cannot have any alcohol and carry.

The problem with the no alcohol though, is that if you had a beer 2 hours ago after you finished the hunt, can you strap on again so you can go to the gas station?... Or what if you were on cough medicine? That's a substance, so is pain medication, etc... Are you saying a vet coming back from Iraq who was injured and is on pain medicine can't CCW if he goes to Harlem at midnight to pick up some groceries? I'd advocate for a legal BAC limit. I'd probably take the Driving BAC as the standard.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 12:55:01 PM EDT
I dont have an issue with people carrying in restraunts that serve alcohol. I think it is a no-go on drinking and carrying also.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:12:17 PM EDT
You should be allowed to carry in a bar. Intoxicated and carrying should be an offense though IMHO.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 2:28:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By CZ75_9MM:

wow..
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:22:19 PM EDT

+10
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:23:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PAEBR332:

That should be carved above the entrance to every legislative chamber.

+1
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:32:47 PM EDT
Legal to carry in bars and restaurants in Nevada. Only illegal if you become drunk while carrying.

Shame on those of you calling for government to keep citizens from responsibly enjoying their freedoms.

Top Top