Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2002 7:52:28 PM EDT
I've had an unrestricted CCW for about 20 yrs. Tonite I go to the mall for some shopping, and as I'm putting on the babies snowsuit to leave, I notice a sign that says no weapons allowed in mall except for police.What gives? Does that mean I'm done shopping there?
Link Posted: 3/2/2002 8:10:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2002 5:49:11 AM EDT
[#2]
sunacre -

I would also guess that this is a silly mall policy and consequently, the worst they could do is ask you to leave.  The only time this could be brought up to the "trespassing" level is if you refused to leave.  Of course, if they tried to enforce a stupid policy like that, they woldn't have to ask me a second time to LEAVE.  If it's concealed properly I certainly wouldn't worry about it.

Aimless -

I had to laugh when I read your post about the movie theater stupidity!  A few weeks ago when I was going to the movies around here the guy at the ticket booth area wouldn't let my girlfriend in with a couple bags from Old Navy, the contents which only presents a threat to her Visa card, pointing to the new sign in front of the theater restricting what can be brought in.  I almost broke out laughing (reason further down) but my girlfriend was PISSED!  So, we also had to walk all the way back to the car to ditch her bags and when we returned (barely in time for the movie start) the guy happily admitted us with a big smile on his face.  What a moron, I had my Glock 32 in my OWB Glock holster the whole time! [>:/]

Needless to say, I am now completely convinced that the BS phrase "it's for the childen!" has now been replaced with the equally BS phrase of "in light of the September 11th tragedy..."

Link Posted: 3/3/2002 11:58:05 AM EDT
[#3]
As has been posted, on private property the property owner or their agent can request that no firearms be carried.  If you violate their policy with CCW and they somehow find out, they are within their rights to ask you to leave the premises (they can do that anyway), and once you've been notified of their policy carrying anyway might subject you to a trespassing charge.

Generally there's no way for the property owner (in this case, the mall security?) to determine if you've got a CCW - but it would serve to prevent open carry on those premises.  In states which allow unrestricted open carry (except for schools, government buildings, bars, churches, usually), posting a no firearms notice is the only legal recourse a property owner has to prevent the display of weapons on their premises.  Needless to say, if you're practicing open carry, you probably will get asked to leave if you ignore the sign and carry openly anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top