Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2001 2:18:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:23:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, the CCW is issued by the state. NICS is a FEDERAL background check.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:28:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Here in AZ, a CCW qualifies as an exemption on the 4473 so there is no need for a NICS check.  I presume it would be similar for other states, but the best way to find out is to buy a gun. =)
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 2:30:49 PM EDT
[#3]
here in OK and a few other places if you had your ccw before 97 or 98 I believe you don't have to have nics. My buddy whose had his a while can walk in a store and walk out with a gun long/pistol with no phone calls, but I only got mine this year so I have to do it, and he will too once his current license expires and he gets a new one.
Link Posted: 6/15/2001 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#4]
It depends on the state.

[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/bradylaw/permit_chart.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:41:08 AM EDT
[#5]
If you have a ccw in Nevada, you also don't need to NICS call.
Link Posted: 6/16/2001 12:51:33 AM EDT
[#6]
In Utah, If you have a ccw you still have to call in to the nics, but you avoid paying the $7.50 fee.  Don't ask me why.
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, in Delaware, if you have your CCW--oh, wait....
Link Posted: 6/18/2001 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#8]
In Texas you bypass all of that stuff. On the back of the yellow form is room for any license/exception that exempts you from the check. They simply put in your CHL number and you are good to go. No phone call, no wait, no nothin. Cash and carry.

That privilage alone is worth the cost of the license, though in a free country we wouldn't have to worry about this stuff now would we...

Michael
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top