Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2013 6:50:50 AM EDT
It you go th the gym in street clothes, how do you change into exercise clothes and put your pants and CCW into a locker with other people nearby?

I usually carry a 442 in a IWB holster appendix position. Put my hand over the but to cover it from view and turn that side more towards the locker. Take off my pants and fold the other side of the pants over the side with the holster and set them in the locker.

So far this has not attracted any attention. But I can't figure out a way to do tha same thing while carrying a 1911 in a belt holster.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Stop trying to act "shady". Just walk in there like you own the place and do what you want. What do you think all the off-duty police do in the same situation? They aren't cowering in the corner afraid someone may see them.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:54:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I think in that instance I would just leave it in the car.

Personal preference though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:54:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Carry it in your gym bag from the car.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:54:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:54:44 AM EDT
[#5]
I sadly leave mine in the truck. My 30 foot walk to the locker room, just to leave it in a locker anyways is a risk I am willing to take.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a lockbox mounted in my truck. When I know I'm going to need to remove my weapon, I use a Raven vanguard II instead of my usual CTAC as a holster. I can take the pistol and holster off easily, and leave it locked in the truck.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:55:57 AM EDT
[#7]
tricky....what about one of those spandex holster shirts?  Wear it under a baggy sweatshirt?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#8]
This is an opportunity for profit for some enterprising sports wear company...
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#9]
If you leave it in your locker, what do you do if something happens while you are working out? Pull the NAA out of your ass?

hell no. be a man and carry it ALWAYS
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:01:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Leave it in the car and trust that you won't get jumped walking from the car to the gym?
View Quote

I'm willing to take that risk I guess.

I leave my daily carry in the truck most of the day actually. Along with my wallet and phone. My job is dirty and sweaty and it is annoying have stuff in my pockets except tools.

I am usually no further than a hundred feet from the truck most of the day though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Hmm, I don't know, but I'll think on it next time I am taking a dump before changing into my workout clothes.
I can think better in the privacy afforded by the toilet stalls.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:02:07 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Taurus TCP .380 for the gym and the beach.

Better than nothing.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:04:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Parking is in an underground garage. The whole idea of CCW is to be armed in places where robberies tend to be committed. So leaving it in the truck is not an option. Plus I dont want to take the risk of having the vehicle burglarized.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#14]
Get a belly band holster.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:07:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you leave it in your locker, what do you do if something happens while you are working out? Pull the NAA out of your ass?

View Quote

The risk of something happening in the workout areas is very low.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:08:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:08:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll tell you what NOT to do.

Don't get in a road rage incident with someone in the parking lot and end up brandishing your CCW when the meathead confronts you in the locker room.

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:09:30 AM EDT
[#18]
off body, throw it in the gym bag and carry the bag with you, lots of folks do that at my gym... no one bats an eye
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I leave my daily carry in the truck most of the day actually. Along with my wallet and phone. My job is dirty and sweaty and it is annoying have stuff in my pockets except tools.

I am usually no further than a hundred feet from the truck most of the day though.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Leave it in the car and trust that you won't get jumped walking from the car to the gym?

prepareyouranus.jpg
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:10:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Get a belly band holster.
View Quote

I usually swim before hitting the weight machines.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:11:32 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Parking is in an underground garage. The whole idea of CCW is to be armed in places where robberies tend to be committed. So leaving it in the truck is not an option. Plus I dont want to take the risk of having the vehicle burglarized.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buy a good gym bag and put it in before you walk in the gym. If you're concerned you may get jumped on the way into the gym leave the bag unzipped where you can grab it easily.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:13:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes I would advise against doing this. You're dead lifting heavy and the gun pops out onto the floor. Not good.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:14:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, I forget often that people live in urban areas.

We are out in the middle of nowhere here, even most of my jobs are in the burbs, so vehicle placement is often close and in the open and high crime areas are few and far between. If I bid a job that I think is in a bad part of town, I tack on a good deal extra to make sure I can hire extra guys to be on site and around the truck with me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Smartcarry holster would probably serve well in this situation.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:18:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Stop trying to act "shady". Just walk in there like you own the place and do what you want. What do you think all the off-duty police do in the same situation? They aren't cowering in the corner afraid someone may see them.

Just my .02
View Quote

FPNI

OP is in Texas?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:19:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Yes I would advise against doing this. You're dead lifting heavy and the gun pops out onto the floor. Not good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. A guy went into a gym in the last few years and shot it up.
2. They make this thing called velcro. Some shorts come with full velcro closures on the pocket.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:28:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I don't dead lift heavy but using the weight machines with a CCW on just seams like it would be very uncomfortable and unnecessary.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:30:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:31:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really I have to go with this. I just don't see how leaving it in a gym locker is a good idea. They aren't exactly the most secure locations in the world.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:42:32 AM EDT
[#30]
Why would you carry a gun in the gym?
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:44:18 AM EDT
[#31]
Carry a purse. Problem solved.

TA-DA!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:47:05 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do you even carry bro?

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#34]
carry your gun in your jock strap
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 7:54:22 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I wouldn't. You must not be keeping up with the comments. Or maybe you didn't even read the original post.

This is about carrying to and from the gym and putting the hardware in a locker while changing clothes. Not carrying in the gym.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:00:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Always has my earbuds, belt, gloves, straps, flip-flops and pistol right next to me. I sweat entirely too much to keep it on me, but I'll be damned if it's not going to be near me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:03:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Carry it in your gym bag from the car.
View Quote

Yup, just take the holster off, if possible, when in the car.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:05:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Just my .02
View Quote

This. In my gym, if something were to break bad, and the (usually 2-3 NC Highway Patrol officers there working out) couldn't handle it, the owner would open
up with is own CCW.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gym lockers are burglarized with amazing frequency.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:16:43 AM EDT
[#40]
I am all for always having a gun but I trust storage in my vehicle more that most gym lockers
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

No shit.

I've done this....

It's only a big deal if YOU make it a big deal.

Honestly, you kinda sound like a bitch.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:17:38 AM EDT
[#42]
I would be much more worried about the locker at the gym being broken into than my car. Gym locker rooms are a prime target and get broken into often in many places. I've seen first hand a group of kids acting shady in the locker room at my gym looking for opportunities and reported them to management. It's quite easy to open most gym lockers with a pry bar, the metal latch is weak and just secured into the wood with a few screws.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:17:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

...or that your car won't get broken into while you're working out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

much more likely your locker gets broken into.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 9:22:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have chosen to not carry some days and guess what? Nothing happened.

Pistolwear makes a nice neoprene rig to wear under workout clothes. If you're going swimming nothing you can do about that. If you're assaulted in the swimming pool, I guess it was just your time to go, OP.

Don't overthink this, and don't turn into one of those guys that's like "if I can't take my gun then I'm not going there!" Keep it in your gym back/in your locker until you are ready to leave. Seems simple.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:13:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It you go th the gym in street clothes, how do you change into exercise clothes and put your pants and CCW into a locker with other people nearby?
View Quote

1.  Enter gym
2.  Enter locker room
3.  Go directly to toilet stall
4.  Close stall door
5.  Hang gym bag on door/hook
6.  Remove CCW and place in gym bag, preferably in a sealed compartment
7.  Depart shitter and change into workout gear
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

off body, throw it in the gym bag and carry the bag with you, lots of folks do that at my gym... no one bats an eye
View Quote

That might work in Virginia. This is Texas though, and a lot of people here freak the fuck out when they see a gun. We're scared of big knives here, guns aren't going to go over too well

Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:23:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Headshot
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:46:40 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

That might work in Virginia. This is Texas though, and a lot of people here freak the fuck out when they see a gun. We're scared of big knives here, guns aren't going to go over too well

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't know what part of Texas you're in, but you need to get the hell outta there.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 10:47:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

throw a shirt over it?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top