Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 10/11/2007 5:47:57 PM EST
I'm posting this here because it is the beginning of the cold season here in the US. Be sure that your heating vents & chimneys are not blocked or hampered, with a bird nest, fallen over because of wind, earthquake etc etc. This could cause CO to seep into your dwelling with potentially deadly results. This family was very fortunate.
======================================================
http://cbs2.com/topstories/local_story_284092744.html

Oct 11, 2007 8:13 am US/Pacific
4 Critical After Being Poisoned By Carbon Monoxide

(CBS) NORTH HOLLYWOOD Members of a North Hollywood family who suffered carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty heater were recovering Thursday in a hospital, as utility officials warned residents to check furnaces before firing them up for autumn.

Two children, ages 1 and 11, and their parents, ages 36 and 37, were initially rushed to Providence St. Joseph Medical Center in critical condition after suffering carbon monoxide poisoning about 3 a.m. at their home at the Water Village Apartment Complex, 12255 Burbank Blvd., a Los Angeles Fire Department captain said.

"Firefighters arrived on scene to find ... the father and infant outside and the mother and daughter inside the apartment, complaining of nausea, dizziness and drowsiness," said Ron Myers of the LAFD.

"The father stated that he had lit the heater for the first time this year and went to bed for the night," Myers said.

The man woke up about 3 a.m., "immediately recognized that something was wrong" and called 911, Myers said. He began opening windows, and brought the 1-year-old outside, but was unable to bring the others with him, Myers said.

Paramedics treated the family members and took them to the hospital, where their condition was later upgraded to serious but stable condition, Myers said.

Denise King of the Southern California Gas Co. said a ˜all heater apparently was not venting properly and needed servicing.

The utility tagged the heater as being in "unsafe condition" and turned it off, and it must be repaired before it can be turned back on, King said.

King reminded people to inspect their heating systems regularly, especially if they haven't used them in awhile. "The best prevention is proper maintenance," King said.

(© 2007 CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:09:12 PM EST
Who's CBS-4?
Link Posted: 10/11/2007 6:12:21 PM EST
Ha, I thought like a TV news crew was overcome by carbon monoxide from the title of the post.
Top Top