Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2004 6:13:55 PM EDT
I don't know what's worse. That CA is trying to do this or that NY will be right behind them. Funny thing is, when the local radio talk show guy was having shows about NY's smoking ban and cell phone in cars ban he said NY would try this too and people that called in thought he was crazy.
ad.doubleclick.net/adi/ibs.la.automotive/;kw=automotive+square;ad=true;tile=2;pgtype=detail;sz=300x250;ord=1083895976510?

Bill Seeks To Ban Smoking In Your Car
Bill Designed To Offer Health Protection To Children

LOS ANGELES -- California could be the first state in the country to fine motorists who smoke while driving with young children in the car if a bill passed by an Assembly committee Wednesday becomes law.

The bill, passed by the Assembly Appropriations Committee and now on its way to the full Assembly, would lead to fines up to $96.

The author, Assemblyman Marco Firebaugh, D-South Gate, and other supporters said the bill would give children "much-needed protections" against health problems caused by breathing tobacco smoke.

"The United States Environmental Protection Agency has declared secondhand smoke as a human carcinogen and has indicated that there is no safe level of such exposure," said Paul Knepprath, a lobbyist for the American Lung Association.

He likened the bill to laws that require young children to ride in special protective seats when in moving vehicles.

The bill would make it an infraction, punishable by a $25 fine for a first offense, to smoke a cigar, pipe or cigarette in a vehicle in which there was a child who was required to be carried in a protective seat. Subsequent violations could bring the fine up to $96.

Children who are younger than six or who weigh less than 60 pounds are required to be carried in the protective seats.

The bill initially would have banned smoking in vehicles in which there were persons as old as 18, but it was scaled it back to make it easier for police to determine when a child is young enough to trigger a violation, said Juan Torres, a spokesman for Firebaugh.

"If they're in a child restraint seat or should be, we think that's easier to enforce," he said.

California law already bars smoking in most enclosed workplaces, including bars.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:17:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a good idea to me.

One thing that really chaps my butt is the ignorant arse people that do this and it is the kids that suffer for the rest of their life!

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:18:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Well maybe I'll start cring in my beer after it gets through the rest of the committees, the full Assembly the Senate comittees, the Senate and is actually heading for the Governor.  Otherwise it's another Assyman blowing his own horn via Press Release.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

One thing that really chaps my butt is the ignorant arse people that do this and it is the kids that suffer for the rest of their life!

BigDozer66

Where do you draw the line? Should we fine parents who feed their kids to much McDonalds?, parents who let their kids stay up to late?, parents who let kids watch violent or racy shows and movies?...I know big government is trying to do the right thing, but they are getting to involved in raising a child, leave a childs upbringing to the parent
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:46:06 PM EDT
[#4]
This has nothing to do with smoking and public health. It's just another tax. But it's ok because it's only the evil smokers being taxed and it's "for the children".
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 6:53:42 PM EDT
[#5]
FIne parents who smoke with the child in the car? maybe if the child is under a certain age....

I woudl rahter see massive fines for the arseholes who throw their cigarette butts out the window..

not just th elittering fines either
 We are having yet ANOTHER massive wild fire caused by a smoker. At elast that is what the fire brigade commander reported
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:04:04 PM EDT
[#6]
the way i look at is as a slow assisted suicide for the chidren unlucky enough to be born to ignorant trash parents who don't care about their wellbeing.

just like fetal alcohol syndrome or crack babies...

it's someones way of mercifully calling back to the fold, those children who do not deserve the hell on earth of being the children of gutter trash.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:04:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I woudl rahter see massive fines for the arseholes who throw their cigarette butts out the window..

I read in today's paper where the bill for that was shot down in committee 3-2 against.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
if you smoke in the car that my kids are in, you wouldn't have to worry about the law anyway, the only thing they could or would do is zip your bag.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:11:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Yeah, and maybe later on, they'll ban taking children shooting, because gunpowder fumes can be dangerous, loud noises could lead to deafness, and ricochets could cause injury! Hell, there's more hard data to go against that than there is to impugn the second hand smoke boogeyman.

After you let the government into another person's life just because you think it's a good idea, don't start bitching when they try to barge into yours. You've earned the intrusion.

I love all the big talk here about how much they care about freedom and liberty, but as soon as it comes to cigarrettes, everybody loves the nanny state.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:13:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
if you smoke in the car that my kids are in, you wouldn't have to worry about the law anyway, the only thing they could or would do is zip your bag.

How in the hell is someone goign to get in the same car with your children without your permission?

So you're going to make the decision to let somone give your kids a ride, but then if you found out they lit up a cigarrette, you're going to kill them?

That's fucked up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:14:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Where do you draw the line? Should we fine parents who feed their kids to much McDonalds?, parents who let their kids stay up to late?, parents who let kids watch violent or racy shows and movies?...I know big government is trying to do the right thing, but they are getting to involved in raising a child, leave a childs upbringing to the parent

We know the gubmint can't stop all the ignorant people from harming their kids, themselves or anyone around them.

The biggest problem is to many people have come to expect the gov't, school or other city, state or Federal agency to raise their kid's instead of them doing it.

Instead of fining them they should just pull the over and slap the crap out of them for being stupid.

To many people think they have the 'right' to smoke where, when and as often as they want to.

Smoking is not a right but a privilege.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:16:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
To many people think they have the 'right' to smoke where, when and as often as they want to.

BigDozer66

When it's done on or in their private property, it's their right to choose to do it if they want. Or don't you believe in property rights when it comes to the big bad tobacco demon???
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

We know the gubmint can't stop all the ignorant people from harming their kids, themselves or anyone around them.

The biggest problem is to many people have come to expect the gov't, school or other city, state or Federal agency to raise their kid's instead of them doing it.

Instead of fining them they should just pull the over and slap the crap out of them for being stupid.

BigDozer66

Want to know the strange thing?  back in the old days parents would spank their kids, smoke in cars and do whatever the fuck they wanted to, yet there were no school shootings, heavy drugs use or any of those bad things.  The more big brother tries to make things perfect, the more shit gets fucked up.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:27:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Hmmm...The smog in San Fernando Valley is worst than second hand smoke on some days. Why don't they ban smog???

No money in it???
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:30:52 PM EDT
[#16]
couldn't find a good pic of an armed border checkpoint to use, plus my photoshop skills are poor so it would have looked even worse than this if I had tried to edit one
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:35:25 PM EDT
[#17]
For all you people that support this law I give you a big . Come on this is just another attempt at the gov't to control another aspect of your life. Whether it is good or bad for your kids that is up to you. What if the government said you couldnt take your kids shooting because it harmed them mentally and made them prone to kill. Besides most studies of second hand smoke say it isnt that bad. I dont see how one can say they are in favor of freedom but can support this fucked up law.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BigDozer66

Where do you draw the line? Should we fine parents who feed their kids to much McDonalds?, parents who let their kids stay up to late?, parents who let kids watch violent or racy shows and movies?...

..............our guns?

I love people who whine about their rights but are quick to trample on other's rights.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I dont see how one can say they are in favor of freedom but can support this fucked up law.

I can. It's called hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How in the hell is someone goign to get in the same car with your children without your permission?

So you're going to make the decision to let somone give your kids a ride, but then if you found out they lit up a cigarrette, you're going to kill them?

That's fucked up.

yes, i think of it as no different as if they forced them to drink poison or sprayed pepper spray in their face.
adults could at lest say "thanks for the lift, but let me the fuck out of the car"
children are helpless and defeseless.

people who smoke in public deserve to be sucker punched or at the very least bitch slapped. unless of couse they don't mind me carrying around a syringe of carcinogenic liquid and injecting it in their arms and then following it up with me pinning them to the ground and launching a wet fart into their face.

people want to smoke? fine. don't do it around me and don't be surprised if you catch a fist in your windpipe if you do.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fucked up.

yes, i think of it as no different as if they forced them to drink poison or sprayed pepper spray in their face.
adults could at lest say "thanks for the lift, but let me the fuck out of the car"

people who smoke in public deserve to be sucker punched or at the very least bitch slapped. unless of couse they don't mind me carrying around a syringe of carcinogenic liquid and injecting it in their arms and then following it up with me pinning them to the ground and launching a wet fart into their face.

people want to smoke? fine. don't do it around me and don't be surprised if you catch a fist in your windpipe if you do.

Sometimes I think liberals are the most violent in nature. Then an anti-smoker comes along and makes liberal whackjobs seem stable by comparsion.

Seriously, you need some help. Second hand smoke is a fraud. The WHO no less did a study and found it to be BS. Plus if a person is smoking in public, in the open, where it's allowed and you come along and punch them, your psychotic self should rightly land in jail.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#22]
colinjay, relax and have a smoke
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:24:24 PM EDT
[#23]
www.davehitt.com/facts/who.html

The World Health Organization's study is a textbook example of the right way to conduct an epidemiological study. Unfortunately for them, it yielded unexpected results.

. . .

Fact: The study found no statistically significant risk existed for non-smokers who either lived or worked with smokers.

Fact: The only statistically significant number was a decrease in the risk of lung cancer among the children of smokers.

Second hand smoke is evil! The liberal media tells me so! I trust them on this!!!
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 8:41:41 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fucked up.

Can you say "Anger Management"? I would take you more seriously but you sound like you type tougher than you talk in person.  Try that sometime, when you see someone smoking in public, go try to stick a needle in their arm, then watch them kick your ass. If you think second hand smoke is unhealthy then try actually acting on your tough talk and see how long you stay out of the hospital.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fucked up.

Can you say "Anger Management"? I would take you more seriously but you sound like you type tougher than you talk in person.  Try that sometime, when you see someone smoking in public, go try to stick a needle in their arm, then watch them kick your ass. If you think second hand smoke is unhealthy then try actually acting on your tough talk and see how long you stay out of the hospital.

Agreed. If I am in a place that allows smoking or out in the open air minding my own business or in my car if I so choose, then colinjay, you can piss off, I'll light up if I want. If you  don't like it don't come around. See you have a choice too. If you want to punch me in the windpipe, etc bring it on! Oh, how I shake in my boots because of you CJ. PS- you're an asshole. I don't care if I get locked or not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#26]
They tried to pass that here too.  No smoking with a child in a carseat, and raise the carseat age to 7.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#27]

Yeah, and maybe later on, they'll ban taking children shooting, because gunpowder fumes can be dangerous, loud noises could lead to deafness, and ricochets could cause injury! Hell, there's more hard data to go against that than there is to impugn the second hand smoke boogeyman.

After you let the government into another person's life just because you think it's a good idea, don't start bitching when they try to barge into yours. You've earned the intrusion.

I love all the big talk here about how much they care about freedom and liberty, but as soon as it comes to cigarrettes, everybody loves the nanny state.

Want to know the strange thing? back in the old days parents would spank their kids, smoke in cars and do whatever the fuck they wanted to, yet there were no school shootings, heavy drugs use or any of those bad things. The more big brother tries to make things perfect, the more shit gets fucked up.

and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on............

Amen to all....

And let me say that I am a smoker and a parent. When I want to smoke, I go outside (generally to get away from my kids ).

The bigger problem is this:

When are people in this country going to start saying "enough" instead of "c'mon on in and control/interfere some more"? Problem is, no one WANTS to be responsible for themselves and their own actions any more. I really don't understand the "cradle to grave" mentality. I am definately "less is better" hands off when it comes to governmental intervention in my life.

Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The bigger problem is this:

When are people in this country going to start saying "enough" instead of "c'mon on in and control/interfere some more"? Problem is, no one WANTS to be responsible for themselves and their own actions any more. I really don't understand the "cradle to grave" mentality. I am definately "less is better" hands off when it comes to governmental intervention in my life.

The problem, as demonstrated on this thread, is that people want freedom for themselves but not the other guy. But to somebody else, you're the other guy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:34:49 PM EDT
[#29]

This is the most arrogant ignorant statement that I have heard in quite a long time. You sound like the type of a@% who has to resort to sucker punching someone.

Just wait until someone with your same mentality comes on here and says "people can sucker punch all they want as long as they don't mind me tying them down, ripping their balls off, and pound them up their nostrils."

Once again, it's OK for me, but not for you.  

POS
Link Posted: 5/6/2004 9:38:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Based upon the information available at this time, this would be an excellent law to be used against those who hate our freedoms.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 2:04:24 AM EDT
[#31]
Smoking around kids may very well be unhealthy. But, it's not my job to make sure you don't do it. Thats YOUR problem, not mine.

And it sure as fuck isnt the GOVERNMENTS problem.

How can anyone POSSIBLY argue against gun control and be in favor or this fascist bullshit at the same time?
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:15:08 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

The problem, as demonstrated on this thread, is that people want freedom for themselves but not the other guy. But to somebody else, you're the other guy.

We have a winner !
Exactly, you couldn't be more right ! It's the old " I'll tell you what to do but you won't tell me !" syndrome that afflicts about 95% of the US population.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Honestly some people need to quit watching TV.  Big Brother is telling you how to live, what is right, and what freedoms you should give up without saying no.

Tj
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 3:53:43 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's fucked up.

You are a very angry person. This topic is not even worth discussing with you.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:36:00 AM EDT
[#35]
Thank you bastiat and others!!  This HATRED against smokers is dangerous.  It has everything to do with CONTROL by the "powers that be".  "The powers that be" by their very nature are dangerous.  I am 56 years old---and I do not smoke.  No desire to.  BUT  in my 56 years I have known MANY infants, children, youngsters who were raised in households where both the father and mother smoked.  When I visited my peers homes - the rooms were foggy with smoke.  These youngstsers are now grown and my age.  They are in good health.  Most of my friends were fed (heaven forbid!) fried foods daily.  They are also doing well healthwise.  We are fed many lies on a daily basis.  TV and movies do more harm than cigarettes will ever do.  There is brainwashing going on in this country as never before and many people - especially the young ones - are eating it up every day.  Because of their youth (lack of years to look back on), many of them latch on to what is spouted by the media.  Sad.  In the near future, all of us will suffer greatly because of this.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 6:47:22 AM EDT
[#36]
One step closer to a communist state.  I for one do not need some politician with personal agendas telling me what to do and how to live.  If I had kids I will not smoke in the car or in the house, but the government has no rights to tell me either way, UNLESS it considers children state owned assets and properties, and we are its bread and butter.  Another instance where the government thinks it can do anything it wants in the name of the people it's supposed to serve, the end result being we are enslaved by it.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 7:56:30 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
www.davehitt.com/facts/who.html

The World Health Organization's study is a textbook example of the right way to conduct an epidemiological study. Unfortunately for them, it yielded unexpected results.

. . .

Fact: The study found no statistically significant risk existed for non-smokers who either lived or worked with smokers.

Fact: The only statistically significant number was a decrease in the risk of lung cancer among the children of smokers.

Second hand smoke is evil! The liberal media tells me so! I trust them on this!!!

Exactly, you people need to get showtime so you can watch Penn & Teller's Bullshit.  Once of the best shows on TV.  They basically explain everything and prove people are full of shit on most of today's major topics.  They did a show on second hand smoke and showed how the whole crusade developed from a study from the EPA that had a couple statistics  on second hand smoke.  People took the numbers and started with the anti-smoking crap, even though the actual study stated in the text that the increase in cancer of people exposed to second hand smoke was statistically insignificant.

Their PETA show and Environmentalist shows were also excellent.
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 8:44:39 AM EDT
[#38]
This whole issue needs to be addressed with the word "RIGHTS"
As a smoker, I do not see a problem with a business that chooses to
have a no smoking policy.
Likewise I do not have to frequent that establishment.
If I am invited to the house of a person that doesn't smoke,  I will either
honor the wishes of my host, or not go.
If I am in the company of people that are bothered by my smoke I will
try to respect thier wishes.

If I smoke on (or in) my own property you do not have the right to tell
me not to, smoking is not yet illegal.
If my smoking in a designated area, and you are bothered by it, you have the
right to leave.
If it's allowed in the business, and you are bothered by it, You have the right
to not frequent it.

Responsibility goes both ways, I do not have the right to inflict my habit on you.
You do not have the right to TRY to inflict your lifestyle on me.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top