Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2001 11:57:36 PM EDT
This'll be my first post, although I've been reading for a while. For Rufus about the illegal ar15, you have to get rid of the parts that make it an AW in order to keep it. My desk ate my paperwork I found on this so this is from memory. First, a rimfire (dedicated .22) firearm does not fall into the AW category(DOJ and the senate bills are written about centerfire arms). I do not know if DOJ or Attorney General would accept having a dedicated .22 upper attached to your lower due to the ability to exchange barrels. Opinions on that? Second: If you do physically part from your lower, you can still get one of the lowers made for single shot, three or five round closed magazine well (DPMS, etc.) and shoot .223 legally. Lastly for those who have registered, you can get your AR15 removed from registeration only if you can show that you have removed the AW parts. It's all on the DOJ site and in the little brochures they put out about the registration. I hope this helps, it is, to the best of  my knowledge - correct.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 6:46:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Unfortunately, the AR15 is not on the SB23 banned by feature list.   The AR15 and it's clones are now on the Roberti-Roos list.  It is banned regardless even if you remove the pistol grip.    Even if rufus removes the "evil" features, it doesn't escape the Cal-DOJ '89  ban.   The AR15 and AK series (clone) weapons were added to the '89 Roberti-Roos AW Ban on 8-16-2000.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 7:04:40 AM EDT
[#2]
That's about the size of it.  If you don't already own a registered lower you are probably SOL.  I have not yet heard of anyone buying a DPMS single-shot lower, the one with no magazine well.  I doubt that any FFL holder who is not terminally ill would attempt to import one into the state without getting prior clearance from the DoJ.

WSmac, if you want to know the DoJ's opinion or try to get an OK on a particular item, you'd best write them (not email) directly yourself.  No opinion you're going to get on this board will be worth squat.  Not that we're dumb, we just don't know how the DoJ is going to interpret your question in light of all the gray areas and what-ifs in the complex tangle of laws you're facing.

If you find out something interesting please let us know.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#3]
You might want to check out gogogadgets.com. He is offering a California Legal AR lower. It has a fixed magazine and has been approved by the DOJ. It's not perfect, but it will work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 9:28:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Is the approval in writing yet?

Last I heard was that he was verbally approved and waiting for written approval before he would ship out orders.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#5]
He has to use a receive not listed in the banned list, or it should cause problems with the owner.   That should be interesting, having a banned lower with the fixed mag and "leavemealone" paperwork.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I e-mailed the guy last week and he told me he doesn't have written approval yet.

He is accepting orders but will not ship until he gets written approval.

I'm not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 5/7/2001 10:27:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top