Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 4/9/2007 3:49:49 PM EDT
Well I tell ya guys, I can't tell you how long I have dreamed of getting an AR-15. Scece I can remember! My problem is I live in California and the only way is to get the CA legal 10 round fixed. IS this worth it or would an sks or mini-14 be the better way to go.
Pretty much I just like to target shoot and go plinkin but I reall llike my wepons to be accurate, and function if the shit hits the fan if you know what I mean...well any pointers or sugestions?
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 3:51:52 PM EDT
get a Garand
Link Posted: 4/9/2007 7:54:15 PM EDT
sks. ammo is cheaper, .223 is going up and and a fixed mag on an ar is like a V4 engine in a viper
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:42:55 PM EDT
OK! for get the SKS forget the mini-14 I'm going for the Kel-Tech SU16A. This weekend I went to all the local gunshops checking out the sks's and mini's they had, and stumbled upon a rife I had forgotten about... The Kel-Tech SU16. I talked to all of the gunshop owners and they all had had them and all owned one as well and had nothing but good things to say about them.. I checked the out on the net and nothing but good remarks.. All I need to do now is get my lasy ass up in the morning and grab one before they are gone.. They useually go for 650 to 750 but I found one for 580 brand spankin new with two 10 round clips...hopefully it is still there. For those who havent see them they accept ar-15 clips up to 30 rounders..I guess they are the closest to anar I'll be able to find in cali.....be back with a range report in a couple of weeks......
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 10:56:56 PM EDT
*cough*they'recalledmagazinesnotclips*cough*<­BR>
Have you thought about getting an M1A?
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:00:43 PM EDT
save your money and buy a one way ticket out of commiefornia.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:11:20 PM EDT
get a bullet button for the ar15. its a pretty good solution.

each oll we get in california is more leverage we have over the DOJ.
Link Posted: 4/22/2007 11:53:06 PM EDT
MOVE!
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 12:32:31 AM EDT
Are PreBans an option in California?
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:19:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2007 1:20:48 AM EDT by geeyoffthehook]
height=8
Originally Posted By fortyfive4life:

not so much, in CA, AR's are banned by name and feature.

a CA legal AR must either have a fixed 10rd "non-detachable"* (more on this later) magazine

OR

no telescoping stock, pistol grip, bayonet lug, flashhider etc. etc. "evil features" and then you can use a detachable magazine.

*current law on a non-detachable magazine (as it is interpreted), is that it cannot be detachable without the use of a tool. a tool can be a screwdriver, pen, or whatever the hell you want it to be. however, the magazine can be attachable without the use of a tool. theres a lot of terminology involved here.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:23:42 AM EDT
I thought SKS's were banned in Cali in 99. I remember seeing billboards to that effect and signs on the map boards at the rest stops. Could be wrong.
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 1:24:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/23/2007 1:24:29 AM EDT by pulpsmack]

Originally Posted By geeyoffthehook:

*current law on a non-detachable magazine (as it is interpreted), is that it cannot be detachable without the use of a tool. a tool can be a screwdriver, pen, or whatever the hell you want it to be. however, the magazine can be attachable without the use of a tool. theres a lot of terminology involved here.

That just gave me a great idea to help PRK hostages.

Wonder if there's any $ in it
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 10:51:23 PM EDT
Ok so I know it is not an ar-15, but as I am in commifornia...it will have to due ..and it turns out it is more than just a gun to settle on to hold me over until I get otta this state. It is a really nice rifle. It is compact enought to fit in my range bag when folded..very light recoil surprising accuracy(better that a mini-14) and a fast shooter. it has the rail for mounting optics on the top of the reciever and is just plane fun to shoot. bipod isn't the best, but after I instal an copact forend to replace it I can put on a good sturdy bipod......
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 10:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2007 11:10:52 PM EDT by Mauser101]

Originally Posted By pulpsmack:

Originally Posted By geeyoffthehook:

That just gave me a great idea to help PRK hostages.

Wonder if there's any $ in it

Yes, the detachable with a tool magazine idea has already been done. Specifically with the tip of a 5.56 bullet. No, it hasn't been tested in the courts yet.

To the OP. Get the Kel Tec. I prefer the CA version for the sites and brass deflector.

Originally Posted By fortyfive4life:

PerBans are available to those who owned them before the ban and registered them. It is, unfortunately, not like New York state...though I bet there are still plenty of NY residents who would love to buy you a new AR or two if you transfered them a pre-ban.

Originally Posted By Stumps:
I thought SKS's were banned in Cali in 99. I remember seeing billboards to that effect and signs on the map boards at the rest stops. Could be wrong.

SKS 'Sporters' were banned. That is, an SKS with a detachable mag...which makes absofuckinlutely no sense since even with a detachable mag it conforms to the letter of the law. The standard fixed mag SKS that goes for ~$100 everywhere is perfectly legal and quite available at most CA Fun Stores.
Link Posted: 5/23/2007 10:59:09 PM EDT
If you want a legal ar-15 to use with your grandfathered 30 round detachable mags, use a Monsterman grip or a U-15 stock. Google them and their info should come up. Also, check out calguns.net to get as much info as you'll ever need to know.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 12:00:04 AM EDT
Thanks for thsi tip..I am now on the way to putting together my OLL rifle...thanks
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:48:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/16/2007 3:56:18 AM EDT by Whiskey_Rebellion]
Get an SKS. The ammunition is way cheaper and more accurate than an AK.

<­BR>

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 1:50:14 AM EDT
SKS, and save for an M1A if you must stay in Cali.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:11:49 AM EDT
I stocked up before this ban crap started. I went from 1 to 4 of the black ones. I spent a lot of money in a short time. I learned most of what was going on thanks to ar15.com. It wasn't widely known by the average person reading newspapers, etc. By then it was too late.
Top Top