Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/17/2006 6:08:20 AM EDT
They should track all convicted violent criminals.  Three million career criminals out on the streets.   There are over 250 million guns.  Which are easier to track?  A gun does not commit a crime.  Allow citizens to watch on the internet if there are any bad guy near there home or business.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060316/tc_nm/crime_california_gps_dc

California gang members to be tracked by GPS Thu Mar 16, 6:32 PM ET

California prison officials have begun using Global Positioning System anklets to track known gang members.

The gritty suburb of San Bernardino, about 60 miles east of Los Angeles, this week became the first California city to use the GPS satellite navigation system to track gang members when the devices were strapped onto three parolees, state Department of Corrections spokeswoman Jeanne Woodford said.

Six California counties began using GPS to monitor sex offenders in 2005 and some have already been arrested for violating parole after they were tracked to off-limits areas.

"GPS tracking is just another tool in the bag; we will still use ground personnel to track gang members," said Sarah Ludeman, another spokeswoman for the corrections department.

Under an arrangement between prison officials and San Bernardino, high-risk parolees known to belong to street gangs will be released from custody on the condition that they wear a GPS bracelet on their ankles at all times.

They appear as moving dots on a map and if they try to remove the anklet or enter unauthorized areas the device sends an alert to a base station monitored by law enforcement officials.

The University of California at Irvine will review the results of the pilot program for its effectiveness.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:09:33 AM EDT
[#1]
San Bernardino is a city, not a suburb.

www.ci.san-bernardino.ca.us/
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:11:16 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
San Bernardino is a city, not a suburb.

www.ci.san-bernardino.ca.us/img/splash/homepage.jpg

www.ci.san-bernardino.ca.us/

nice town. almost got shot twice there

was once called the murder capital of the US
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:56:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#4]
thats Kaliphornia for ya!

why do they insist on doing dumb shit like this?
Would money be better spent on a few lethal injections?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:07:02 AM EDT
[#5]
IIRC due the changes in cell phone regulations in 2005, every cell phone made now has a GPS chip installed it, so if you own a newer cell phone they can track you anytime, anywhere, anyway, (provided the cell phone is on).

It's the 21st century and we're livin in George Orwell's world now.

No ankle bracelet necessary.

Mike

ETA - this reminds of an article I read 6 or 7 months ago of how some eastern cities are beginning to use "cell-phones" to monitor traffic problems, simply by tracking the private cell phone movement (as most users have their phones on while in their cars) of the masses on their way to and from work......
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Oooooh, I just had a radical thought.  What if we put gang members in jail?  Then we wouldn't even need GPS to track them.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:27:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Oooooh, I just had a radical thought.  What if we put gang members in jail?  Then we wouldn't even need GPS to track them.

I have an idea. What if we took a bigass state and stuck all our violent criminals, radical leftists and hippies in it so they would all make each others life hell.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:38:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have an idea. What if we took a bigass state and stuck all our violent criminals, radical leftists and hippies in it so they would all make each others life hell.

"Mr. Stevens, The Court finds you guilty of kidnapping, posession of cocaine, conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance, and 3 counts of murder.  It is the court's decision that you are to be immediately transported to Los Angeles or San Francisco, to remain there, for the rest of your natural life."

Screw that.  Cali has much too nice a climate.  Besides, we already have a better option.  "Escape from New York" wasn't a movie, it was a vision of the future.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:14:58 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

"Mr. Stevens, The Court finds you guilty of kidnapping, posession of cocaine, conspiracy to distribute a controlled substance, and 3 counts of murder.  It is the court's decision that you are to be immediately transported to Los Angeles or San Francisco, to remain there, for the rest of your natural life."

Mr. Stevens, "Can I have the death penalty?  Please!"
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#12]
First they put GPS chips in Child molesters, But i hated them so  i thought it was good.
Then they put the GPS on Gang members, But i hated them so i thought it was good.
Then they put the GPS chips on Wife beaters, But i hated them so i thought it was good.
Then they put the GPS chips on Drug addicts, But  i hated them so i thought it was good.
Then they put GPS chips on gun owners and guns............................I did'nt know how much i was hated..............................................................
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:06:33 AM EDT
[#14]
This is stupid.  If you want to arrest a gang-member parolee you just go to their house, toss their stuff, take their dope and guns, send 'em back to prison.  It's easy.

The California Department of Corrections just changed their name to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation.  Maybe by spending five times as much as we should for a device to attach to the leg of a shitbag who shouldn't be outside the prison walls in the first place, we will be rehabilitating him.

I suspect this is a way for the CDC and R to claim they're monitoring their shitbags with a higher level of supervision, but the end result will probably net fewer parole violations.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Remove GPS and insert  45 caliber FMJ @ 1400 ft/sec.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
First they put GPS chips in Child molesters, But i hated them so  i thought it was good.
Then they put the GPS on Gang members, But i hated them so i thought it was good.
Then they put the GPS chips on Wife beaters, But i hated them so i thought it was good.
Then they put the GPS chips on Drug addicts, But  i hated them so i thought it was good.
Then they put GPS chips on gun owners and guns............................I did'nt know how much i was hated..............................................................

Notice I said "convicted violent criminals".

If the stopped them, there would be no need to "put GPS chips on gun owners and guns".
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:33:14 AM EDT
[#17]

This will have unforeseen (but perhaps not unintended) consequences for us "good people"
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:37:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:37:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Hooray for the nanny state!!!!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 10:40:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Hooray for the nanny state!!!!

Because one set of parents isn't enough.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top