Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 5/19/2003 10:13:41 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 10:20:37 PM EST by spork]
I still don`t quite understand this. So what happens in CA when the AWB goes away? What I am most concerned with is magazine capacity and magazine detachability in ARs. PRK approved AR and AK type weapons must have a non-detachable 10rnd magazine. So, if a Kalifornian were to purchase an AR or AK type weapon, it must have this type configuration? What if a non-PRK approved AR was bought in another state. Would it be legal to send it to Kalifornia? We can have large-capacity magazines in other guns, right? Also, what do I need to know about registering this weapon? Is there anything else I`m missing? This state is giving me a headache. Too many of us can sympathize. MAKE IT STOP!! [furious] (edited to add more questions)
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:29:52 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 10:49:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/19/2003 11:14:20 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/19/2003 11:15:16 PM EST by spork]
The pistol is in my possession, but I am not the official owner. I have the gun with their permission so I get to use it while its still theirs.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 12:40:57 PM EST
I think that's still illegal. I'd delete any posts mentioning it if I was you. Public forums, you know.
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 2:13:18 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:22:11 AM EST
Originally Posted By spork: Actually, what I meant was that residents of another state purchase a non PRK gun, then send it to me. I had to do this to get my competition pistol. It was not on the list of firearms you could purchase. What I did was have some relatives in another state purchase the pistol, then send it to me.
View Quote
This was definitely in violation of Federal and California law. Under the law, transfer concerns possession. It has nothing to do with ownership or money passing hands. If I were you, I would delete any references to this transaction.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 10:06:17 AM EST
Originally Posted By spork: The pistol is in my possession, but I am not the official owner. I have the gun with their permission so I get to use it while its still theirs.
View Quote
But not in California I believe because you are in possesion of an unapproved/banned handgun.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 11:47:50 AM EST
Troy- You've piqued my interest. Are you saying that borrowing someone else's gun, with the owner's full knowledge and permission, is illegal under federal law? I'm not saying you're wrong, but this sounds like a gray area to me. I also know that this is common practice in many areas, especially during hunting seasons.
Link Posted: 5/26/2003 9:27:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/26/2003 9:29:40 PM EST by Troy]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 1:20:25 AM EST
Listen to Troy, I've never found him wrong. At the most, there has been a difference of opinion on gray areas. That being said, I would advise following Troy's advice for safety.
Link Posted: 6/1/2003 8:31:48 PM EST
wait a sec I'm confused also -crap I thought I had this figured out - do you have to transfer it to yourself when you move to Kali from another state? in reference to handguns
Link Posted: 6/2/2003 2:46:57 AM EST
If you move to CA from another state, you have to register your handgun with CA. They give you a substantial time to do this. BUT, the handgun must be on the CA DOJ approved list. They have some testing procedure which a handgun has to pass to be on the list. You can find more about it on the CA DOJ (Department of Justice) website. I don't know the criteria for the handgun test, but I've seen some pretty nice guns for sale at gunshows (here in FL) with tags saying "Not Legal in California". These were Wilson combat .45's, by the way.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 12:32:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/4/2003 12:33:35 PM EST by PaDanby]
Umm NO. Far be it from me to discuss FL laws, if your in FL you oughta check the Cal statutes before taking a guess at them. From the CA AG pages - Effective January 1, 1998, any person who moves into California and who brings any pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person is considered to be a "Personal Handgun Importer" and is required to do one of the following within 60 days: * Complete and submit a Report of Handgun Ownership form along with $14.00 to the Department of Justice. A separate report form and $14.00 fee is required for each handgun reported. Report of Handgun Ownership forms can be obtained from California Department of Motor Vehicles' offices, licensed firearms dealers, local police and sheriff's departments, the California Department of Justice Firearms Division at (916) 227-3703, and from the Online Forms Page at this site. * Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California licensed firearms dealer or to another individual using a California licensed firearms dealer to conduct the transaction. or * Sell or transfer the handgun(s) to a California police or sheriff's department. Persons choosing this option should contact the law enforcement agency for instructions prior to transporting the handgun(s) to the agency. Any person transporting handguns in California is required under California law to transport those handguns unloaded and in a locked container other than the glove compartment or utility compartment of a vehicle. Please be aware that failure to comply with these mandated handgun requirements could result in criminal prosecution (Penal Code Section 12072(g)). quote ends - The CA handgun Safety laws only apply to the first time commercial sale of a pistol. Used or previously owned can be imported by the owner. If I want to buy a Glumpp 42000 in 25 from a dealer, he can't sell it to me. But my neighbor who has one can, and the dealer can do the paperwork, he just can't sell me one. It's a pain for some dealers that have let their personal collections get commingled with their business stock. They can sell "banned" guns in a Private Party sale but not commercial sale, many are now avoiding their own PP sales in case they get hassled. Any used handgun (not otherwise illegal) can be personally imported. It's new guns that need to be tested. And Wilson may have just decided they aren't going to test all or any of their guns.
Top Top