Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2001 6:03:32 PM EDT
Anyone have much info. on these programs & how
thorough it is?

I'm curious if it's as simple as e-mail subject headers with certain words flagging
the program or does it actually scan the entire
text of all e-mail messages out there that aren't encrypted ???????
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not know how it works. But it seems that checking every e-mail being sent would cause a serious bottleneck. I am interested in the answer to this also.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
They changed the name of program to something that people can't remember.

From my understanding the program is installed onsite of the major ISPs.  So it's not as if your email would be directed through one big government computer.  Most likely the system monitors all the ISP's traffic by copying the data as it passes by, so there would be no apparent bottle neck.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
that makes sense, but even if they prioritized it who would read it all?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:47:23 PM EDT
[#4]
 Isn't CARNIVORE the FBI's program & isn't there another one the NSA uses ??
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:13:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Carnivore, or whatever less conspicuous name it's going by these days, is a souped-up traffic analyzer.  While the FBI claims it's limited in only reading mail headers.  It can (and probably does) do much more.  It can scan all web traffic for certain keywords and it can scan all web traffic packets for certain destination IP addresses OR certain originating IP addresses.  This means that it can be set to record all traffic coming from a certain computer or going to a certain computer (or country/area).  It can also be pre-set to detect certain files that are being passed across the internet, and can flag and log the transfer.

The only know way to circumvent Carnivore is to encrypt your web traffic (preferrably with 128 bit encryption).  There are other ways as well.  If that's what you wanted to know, I hope I answered your question.  If you are wanting details or know-how, let me know.  I might be able to answer some of your questions.

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Whatever you do, don't type the words:

Bomb,Area 51, MJ-12, napalm, anthrax, stubbed toe, Delta Force, Rambo, assasin, drugs, arson, collateral damage, the football, Airforce One, Glint, Paperclip, JN25, Colonel Kurz, subversion, stilletto, Tie Tack, Kalashnikov, Small Pox, Phoenix, Ginko Biloba, etc.[kill]

Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:45:32 PM EDT
[#7]
the chair is ageinst the wall
john has a big mustache
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:54:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 8:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Whatever you do, don't type the words:

Bomb,Area 51, MJ-12, napalm, anthrax, stubbed toe, Delta Force, Rambo, assasin, drugs, arson, collateral damage, the football, Airforce One, Glint, Paperclip, JN25, Colonel Kurz, subversion, stilletto, Tie Tack, Kalashnikov, Small Pox, Phoenix, Ginko Biloba, etc.[kill]

View Quote

Hey buddy, project [I]stubbed toe [/I] is on a 'need to know' basis, don't go spreading that one around!
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 9:36:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
PolySci is correct.  Note, though, that the reason it checks email headers is to figure out who to "record".  It makes a log of all traffic, and then people figure out which emails they want to look at, and tell the software.  The software then begins making copies of the email traffic that meets that criteria.  You'd never know it was happening.  So, you might want to treat all of your email as if you KNEW it was being read.  Stuff you send now could come back and bite you 5 years from now.

-Troy
View Quote

While I don't know for sure, I doubt that all web traffic and/or E-mail is archived.  I would bet that all [b]flagged[/b] (suspicious to Carnivore) traffic is archived though.  It is simply not feasible, even by government standards, to archive all web traffic.

I was able to find a pic of Carnivore simplified.  It uses puzzle pieces to represent "keywords" or "suspicious traffic".  If any web traffic matches pre-established criteria by Carnivore, it goes on for further review.  Here is what comes from the FBI website concerning Carnivore ([url]http://www.fbi.gov/hq/lab/carnivore/carnlrgmap.htm[/url]).

[center][img]http://www.subdimension.com/community/subversion/politics/largchart.jpg[/img][/center]
[b]The top of the diagram shows all traffic through an Internet Service Provider (ISP). The FBI and ISP work together to identify an access point that contains all traffic from the suspect named in the court order, with as little other traffic as possible. In some cases, the ISP is able to provide the FBI with an access point that contains only the suspect's traffic.

The FBI connects a commercially available one-way tapping device at the ISP's access point. This tap produces an exact copy of all data at the access point. The tap also provides electrical isolation to prevent Carnivore from having any kind of impact on the ISP's network.

The copied network traffic then flows into the collection system where it is compared against a predefined filter. This filter only passes traffic authorized for capture by the court order. Traffic that passes through the filter continues on to be archived to permanent storage media. No other data is ever stored to permanent media, nor is any information recorded about traffic that does not match the filters.

All information collected is maintained and, in the case of full content interceptions, is sealed under the order of the court. This information, as well as information obtained pursuant to pen register and trap & trace authorities may subsequently be made available by the court to the defendant.[/b]

I hope this helps, and yes, "the chair [b]is[/b] against the wall."

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 9:50:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Political Science, THX

I may e-mail you with more questions [:)]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:30:37 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
 Isn't CARNIVORE the FBI's program & isn't there another one the NSA uses ??
View Quote

The NSA uses ECHELON, which is actually a global spy system used by several countries, though so far only one country that is part of the system has admitted it exists.  And you are correct, what was previously known as Carnivore is the product of the FBI.

God Bless Texas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top