Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2001 5:51:27 PM EDT
Hello.  I am interested in gettin some laser sites for my handguns.  I have an HK USP .40 and a SIG SAUER 228.  Basically i am wondering do laser sites work ok?  Wich is the best.  What about the "laser grips"?  Or what about the laser that mounts on the trigger guard?  I guess i just need general info.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Red lasers dont work in sun light!!! For indoors and after dark they are good for quite a distance. I have a cheap one and if I look real hard I can see it at over 200yds at night. They make green ones that work better in sunlight. Flourescent lights don't attenuate the lasers as bad as sunlight or incadesents. So just because you can see it across a store thats lit up well don't believe it will be visible at 10 feet outside on a sunny day. I prefer red dots and flashlights. But lasers are fun.

Guncrazy223
---------------------------------------
Some people are only alive because its illegal to kill them
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:27:28 PM EDT
[#2]
what you want to look for is the strength of the laser itself i think the highest approved would be 635 nm but dont quote me on it try not to get anything higher than that the higher the nm the less bright the laser will be. but any laser is pretty much useless unless in lowlight or dark conditions.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:34:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 6:42:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the laser grips on a S&W .38 spl revolver I use to check out those strange noises in the night.
Lazer works well, bright enough that I can almost use it as a flashlight in the dark.
Link Posted: 10/21/2001 10:43:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
what you want to look for is the strength of the laser itself i think the highest approved would be 635 nm but dont quote me on it
View Quote

The "nm" specifies the frequency of the laser, not the power.  All the ones I've seen mention how many milliwatts of power they emit, too.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 4:53:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:
what you want to look for is the strength of the laser itself i think the highest approved would be 635 nm but dont quote me on it
View Quote

The "nm" specifies the frequency of the laser, not the power.  All the ones I've seen mention how many milliwatts of power they emit, too.
View Quote

You are cerrect, "nm" is the wavelength of the beam, and the power is given in "mw" with 5mw being the max allowed by law.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 5:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Forget all that external laser [b]CRAP[/b] and get a LaserMax.  I've got one in my Beretta 92.

It replaces the guide rod and the takedown lever.  The on switch is an ambidexterous button on either side of the lever.

And the best part.. NO ADJUSTING!

It's sweet!
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:28:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have tried a few. THe ones that bolt up to your triger guard are a waste of money in general. Anything that is 99 bucks or less just breaks. I had 4 replaced by the factory. It wouldn't hold zero, and it kept shutting off and turning back on every other shot. So I gave up a bought a 250 dollar one that actually is molded to the front of the triger guard. They have mounts for each specific type of guard. Still only okay. At least this one has kept working. The draw back again is that all my holsters don't work because this is a bigger laser.
I would love to get a crimson trace one, but they don't make it for my hand guns. I have seen them on the 1911 models, and they are good, but they are very expensive.
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:45:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Sorry, from the title of the post, I just couldn't help picturing Dr. Evil making the "finger quotes" and talking about his "Frickin LASER" as part of the "Alan Parsons Project."

[img]http://www.austinpowers.com/EVIL/gallery/img/evil-pinky1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 10/22/2001 12:51:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Like I said, [b]AVOID EVERYTHING EXTERNAL[/b].  External systems are clunky and useless, requiring special holsters, and alignment.. They can be damaged or knocked out of line easily, too.

Here, you said for a sig:

[url]www.lasersightsusa.com/products.html#sigarms[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top