Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2010 4:35:44 PM EDT
I test drove a C6 Vette recently. Nice 06. It had an auto though.

As much as I liked the simplicity of two pedals, no shifting, and practically idling through most maneuvers, I have to think that it would be a completely different beast with a stick. I asked, but they had no used and only one new with a stick. (don't think they'd like me 'testing' their 2010 stick when the 06 was going be a budget breaker)

Am I right in thinking that for someone who wants to actually drive the car, the 6 spd will be much more responsive and fun? I kind'a dread the idea of it in ATL traffic, but hey. ;-)
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:22:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm with pearl on this one.
I wouldn't trade my manual vehicles for anything auto.
And I work (unfortunately) in a downtown urban area.
If anything, you can cut one rep off your leg presses when you go to the gym during the week.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 6:54:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The 6spd auto is a pretty decent transmission (the 05 C6 will have the older 4 spd auto in case you keep shopping).  It has buttons on the steering wheel for a manumatic mode if you didn't notice those.  Some complain it is not responsive enough when triggering manual shifts, but I think I've read a computer re-program can improve that significantly (could be wrong, read up first at www.corvetteforum.com if that is a deal breaker).  There is a Sport automatic mode which you may or may not have ever gotten into which will liven up the shift programming a bit as well vs the standard Drive mode I believe.  It will perform about on par on the 6spd manual, but for some people you're just disconnected from the car and missing out on something w/ the automatic.  Only you can decide what's right for you.  

For me, yeah the manual is the way to go.  I have an 02 Z06 that I daily drive in the metro atlanta area, but with the shift I work I don't deal too much with the gridlock we get around the rush hours...  I had a 99 Trans Am w/ a 6spd manual before this as well, just more fun IMO.  But there is something to be said for the ease and carefree driving of the auto, especially a good auto like the newer 6spd models.

As far as getting a Vette in general, I'd so go for it either way you go transmission wise.  It is an awesome ride for the money.  Can't go wrong w/ a C5 or C6 IMO.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#4]
A vette with an auto is for women.
Link Posted: 8/18/2010 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 12:22:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I say go manual.  Being able to shift the car yourself will make fun so many things that would otherwise be mundane.  Nothing puts a smile on my face like heal and toe downshifting as you approach a corner.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#7]
This is what I was suspecting. Now all I have to do is keep myself talked into the Vette instead of the CTS-V this search started out focused on.

PS - test drove both a C5 and C6 –– did not like the C5 as much. It felt smaller, the door panel flexed in and out as I put the window up and down, and it was just generally not as "Mmmmmm" as the C6.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 2:46:29 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a Lingenfelter-modded C5 with an A4 tranny.  I bought it used and disregarded the lack of a manual transmission because the power was so freakin awesome - 450 HP and 450 #ft.

I am a big guy with big feet and drive it in city raffic every day, so an A4 is not bad at all, although I do long for a manual sometimes.  FYI, I can still get over 30 MPG highway if I behave myself.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:20:51 AM EDT
[#9]
2:73 ring gear with the auto...
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:23:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been looking for a C6 vette for a while now. I only like manuals as I drive like an idiot most of the time. Autos are not much fun with my driving style. However, as refined and smooth as the vette is, it's not "light on it's feet" like a miata or GTi (the kind of car a manual is a "must" in). So, while I would typically shun an automatic, they work well in a C6. I don't feel the auto takes away from the vette experience at all. It's a big, wide, smooth, low revving V8 powered car with plenty of performance either way. (no significant difference in 0-60, 1/4 mile or top speed)

Also, the manual has that forced 1 to 4 shift thing. So, unless you disable it, you won't be rowing through the gears. In stock form, it's not much fun at normal speeds. Many owners simply go 1-4-6 or 1-4-5.

I guess what I am saying is that the vette has so much torque down low, you won't rev it up during normal driving. There is no need. So, the high revving, gear rowing fun factor is not there most of the time.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 4:28:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Street = Auto
Track = Manual

Keep the racing off the street, and there's no need for a manual.  But...if you ever want to enter any club events, or just thrash your tires with some track time, you'll want a manual.  The manumatic just won't do.

I would get an auto, even if I was going to put in a little (operative word = little) track time.  A manual in a daily driver - especially in an urban environment - is just plain annoying.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Which model V were you looking for? The new ones are pretty sick, the older ones are great too, but have a few known issues to look out for
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:27:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:11:17 AM EDT
[#14]
My other option is a 04-07 (more like 04-05) CTS-V. Old style. Right now the leading contender is a blue one in MI - 41k, $21k.

I drove a stick-shift Saturn when I lived way up in Cherokee and worked in Atlanta proper. Yes - the stick sucked sometimes, but it was still fun enough to overcome the occasional suck. Now that my commute is better, I'm not so worried about it. Before that I had a 76 Celica GT with a 5 speed. (way back) - loved it too. Heck - I took my driver's test in a Subaru wagon with a stick shift. ;-)

Right now I only have three issues with getting this nice blue 07 Vette.... The payments (anyone want to by a supressed M11/9, Border Marshal or NP3'd 96d?), The cost of tires, The lifespan of my knees getting in and out of it. Oddly enough, insurance will only cost me $18 more a month than my Hemi grand Cherokee. ;-)
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 8:21:09 AM EDT
[#15]
The big difference is the rear end gear ratio. The manuals come with a 3.42 and the autos have 2.73 I think and that will make a huge difference in how it feels.

Also, scuttlebutt on the corvette forum is to stay away from the '05s and 06s.

That being said, find a manual to drive before you decide.

When I bought my C5 I drove an A4 first and I came away thinking: "Big deal. I thought these Vettes were supposed to be fast."

Then I drove an MN6 and thought: "Woooa! These Vettes rock!!!"

Also, don't write off the C5. You can get a 405 HP Z06 for ridiculous prices these days. A lot of car for a little money.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:30:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Manual. I used to drive a manual in traffic here in Atlanta, and it didn't bother me once I got used to it.

The feeling of driving a manual is so much better than an auto, especially in a performance car.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I test drove both and decided to go with the A6.  I've driven manual in stop and go traffic and did not want to do it anymore.
The A6 can be tuned to make much more responsive and snappy.  One word on caution on tuning, it will void any remaining warranty.

Also, GM began offering a 5 year/100,000 mile powertrain warranty with 07s if I recall correctly.

Check out forum member "thesubfloor" at corvetteforum.com - he has an A6 which ran a [email protected].

Before you dismiss the A6, do some research.

Link Posted: 8/19/2010 5:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My other option is a 04-07 (more like 04-05) CTS-V. Old style. Right now the leading contender is a blue one in MI - 41k, $21k.

I drove a stick-shift Saturn when I lived way up in Cherokee and worked in Atlanta proper. Yes - the stick sucked sometimes, but it was still fun enough to overcome the occasional suck. Now that my commute is better, I'm not so worried about it. Before that I had a 76 Celica GT with a 5 speed. (way back) - loved it too. Heck - I took my driver's test in a Subaru wagon with a stick shift. ;-)

Right now I only have three issues with getting this nice blue 07 Vette.... The payments (anyone want to by a supressed M11/9, Border Marshal or NP3'd 96d?), The cost of tires, The lifespan of my knees getting in and out of it. Oddly enough, insurance will only cost me $18 more a month than my Hemi grand Cherokee. ;-)

A set of stock RFT (run flat tires) will run you over a $1,000.  If you decide to go non-RFT, then there are several options in the $700 - $800 range.
I toyed with the idea of going non-RFT, but in the end I decided to stick with RFT.

I highly encourage you to visit corvetteforum.com - lots of good info.  They also have a C6 sale section.  If you're patient, you will find good deals.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 6:33:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I agree with the shirt.  Three pedals or bust... ESPECIALLY on a Corvette.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Tires dont last long on a Vette and those run flats are around $500 a pop I think?. We blew one out in the middle of  west Texas once.  15K miles per set was the norm the way I remember.  It has been too long since I have had anything to do with Vettes.

I love the seating position of the Vette, but wonder about my knees as well.
Link Posted: 8/19/2010 11:54:02 PM EDT
[#21]
The M6 doesn't have the TCM with torque management (that can't be programmed out) - the A6 does.

(Only the torque management in the ECM can be removed with a programmer on either model.)
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Tires dont last long on a Vette and those run flats are around $500 a pop I think?. We blew one out in the middle of  west Texas once.  15K miles per set was the norm the way I remember.  It has been too long since I have had anything to do with Vettes.

I love the seating position of the Vette, but wonder about my knees as well.

I got 27k out of my stock Goodyear RFT.  I could have gotten more out of them, but the poor ride and road noise got to be too much.
My Michelin Sport RFT were $1300 out the door (before the $70 Michelin rebate).

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The M6 doesn't have the TCM with torque management (that can't be programmed out) - the A6 does.

(Only the torque management in the ECM can be removed with a programmer on either model.)

Is this not an adjustable setting from in car? Only chip adjustable?

Link Posted: 8/20/2010 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Programmers can only communicate with the ECM.

GM has decided to go with separate computers for everything else (TCM, BCM, etc) - no one has been able to communicate with them yet (except with a GM Tech2).

The torque management (TM) is how they give you a 100k warranty - the car decides if it is going to allow you do whatever you're trying to do & it cuts out the throttle if it doesn't like it (sometimes the throttle lag could be as much as 4 seconds).

Companies like Diablosport advertise that their programmer can remove or diminish TM - after you buy the programmer you find out that this feature doesn't apply to the newer cars with a separate TCM.
Link Posted: 8/20/2010 11:02:59 AM EDT
[#25]
I got 27k out of my stock Goodyear RFT. I could have gotten more out of them, but the poor ride and road noise got to be too much.
My Michelin Sport RFT were $1300 out the door (before the $70 Michelin rebate).

Thats not as bad as I thought, I think the short tire life on ours was due to our driving style. Are the Michelins quieter?

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 10:36:07 AM EDT
[#26]
One is fun, the other is less fun.

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 11:25:06 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Tires dont last long on a Vette and those run flats are around $500 a pop I think?.

No, not that much.  The rears are a little more than the front (Kuhmos), and all four will run around $1,200 with tax and road hazard.

I only use run-flats because of almost getting car-jacked late one night with a flat (no spares on a Vette).  One thing about run-flats - be sure to buy the road hazard replacement when purchasing.  They won't plug run-flats, so if you pick up some metal, you're screwed.

For some unknown reason, I go thru about 2-3 pair of rear tires as compared to fronts.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:06:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted: For some unknown reason, I go thru about 2-3 pair of rear tires as compared to fronts.  

You, sir must certainly have a problem with rear wheel alignment. I simply can't imagine what else it could be!!!

Link Posted: 8/21/2010 2:08:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/22/2010 8:24:25 AM EDT
[#30]
That' the frist place I went to look. since this would be a daily driver, I was looking at the All Season offerings. In both Summer and All Season, I would have never thought Continental would rate so high! I've never pictured them as anything beyond OEM tires that you upgraded from when they wore out.
Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:19:43 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

HP Tuners and EFI Live can do whatever you want to do with the TM in the 6L80e.

Link Posted: 9/7/2010 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Programmers can only communicate with the ECM.

GM has decided to go with separate computers for everything else (TCM, BCM, etc) - no one has been able to communicate with them yet (except with a GM Tech2).

The torque management (TM) is how they give you a 100k warranty - the car decides if it is going to allow you do whatever you're trying to do & it cuts out the throttle if it doesn't like it (sometimes the throttle lag could be as much as 4 seconds).

Companies like Diablosport advertise that their programmer can remove or diminish TM - after you buy the programmer you find out that this feature doesn't apply to the newer cars with a separate TCM.
I have (until I get my new Mustang) a '08 Pontiac G8GT. It has the 6L80 in it, same TCM as the LS3 C6.

You can alter literally hundreds of things in the TCM with HP Tuners and a laptop.

I had a 3200 yank converter in the car and swapped the 2.92 diff for a 3.70 diff, I spent quite a bit of time in the TCM tune. The ECM tune was easy compared to the TCM...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top