Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2008 10:15:30 AM EDT
Posting from the digitalbits:

Well... we've had SOME confirmation this morning of the details of the Financial Times story from last night. While the studio isn't yet commenting, reliable industry sources are telling us that Paramount is indeed preparing to end their HD-DVD support and announce a return to the Blu-ray fold. Details are currently being finalized, and an announcement is expected as soon as they're complete. Paramount's first new Blu-rays will almost certainly include many of those titles that were cancelled last year, but that were already packaged and ready for shipping, so you could see them in stores very quickly once the studio announces.

Meanwhile, sources are telling us that Universal has also been talking with the BDA, and is looking to follow Paramount and Warner's lead as soon as possible.

On a related note, Times Online in the U.K. is now reporting that as many as 20 additional firms currently backing HD-DVD are also considering defection in the wake of Warner's Friday announcement, including Fujitsu, Lenovo, Kenwood and Pony Canyon (which is a major Japanese film and music studio).

What's more, word is starting to circulate at CES that major big box retailers will begin winding down in-store support for HD-DVD as soon as these studios go public with their decisions. We're told that the industry's major retail partners are already pressuring Paramount, DreamWorks and Universal to go Blu following Warner's decision.

Rumors are also beginning to circulate here that Apple's Steve Jobs may announce the addition of Blu-ray Disc drives to their Mac desktop lineup at next week's Macworld Expo in San Francisco.

We would caution you to keep in mind that all of this should be considered unofficial until the studios make their actual announcements. Things are moving very fast, and the situation is highly fluid. Still, it really looks like this is the end for HD-DVD, and the end of the format war overall. We'll keep you up to date with new developments as they break.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm not a big fan of Bill Hunt, so I'll wait until it is official.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:06:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Paramount denies it.
Warner still dumped HD DVD though, which means it looks like the format may be on its way to the grave.
Link Posted: 1/8/2008 5:19:26 PM EDT
[#3]
According to some here, the fat lady has done finished her song:  Bluray
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 7:01:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Toshiba needs to just throw in the towel its all over.

Washington, D.C. (January 17, 2008) -- If this were a boxing match, HD DVD was just knocked down.

Again.

Home Media Magazine reports that Blu-ray last week captured 85 percent of high-def disc sales compared to HD DVD's 15 percent.

Blu-ray discs have consistently outsold HD DVD by a 2-1 margin for the last year, but last week's numbers reflect the greatest disparity yet in the format war.

Even worse for HD DVD, Home Media Magazine writes that the top 10 high-def disc sellers were all Blu-ray. The best-selling HD DVD, The Kingdom, sold just 10 percent as many discs as the best-selling Blu-ray title, 3:10 to Yuma.

The numbers are the first indicator of the damage done to HD DVD by Warner Bros' endorsement of Blu-ray on January 4.

The Warner decision gave Blu-ray a 5-2 'major studio' advantage over HD DVD and prompted widespread speculation that HD DVD can't survive the format war.

Despite HD DVD woes, Paramount and Universal, which still back the format exclusively, are expected to soon announce several new releases.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/hddiscsales011708.htm
Link Posted: 1/17/2008 9:40:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/18/2008 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Go Blue Ray.... LOVE IT!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 6:51:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Im just going to have to wait untill its over and there is a clear winner
Link Posted: 1/19/2008 9:09:57 PM EDT
[#8]
It's over. Variety Magazine reported that Universal will start selling Blu Rays as soon as their exclusive agreement with HD-DVD is over, which if I remember right is this May.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:10:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad I chose to go Bluray!
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:12:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll buy your old Hd-DVD player and discs at a reduced price....
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:16:22 PM EDT
[#11]
so just for shits and giggles, can someone "nicely" explain just what the hell IS the difference between HD DVD and Blue ray  I honstly don't know and was just curious what all the fuss was really about.
Link Posted: 1/20/2008 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Why would anyone do that?
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can pickup a player and a bunch of DVDs for a few percent of the cost when someone gets rid of them, still have a nice libary of movies, until the blu-rays come down in price, or piracy becomes easier.
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I can pickup a player and a bunch of DVDs for a few percent of the cost when someone gets rid of them, still have a nice libary of movies, until the blu-rays come down in price, or piracy becomes easier.

No, why would anyone sell their HD-DVD player and movies?  They still work.  The picture quality is just as good as Blu Ray.  There's no reason to sell off your HD DVD player just because you get a Blu Ray player.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top