Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2006 9:12:20 PM EDT
Is it a pain in the ass to but two handguns at once from a FFL dealer?  I remember hearing how you have to submit special forms to the ATF or something like that.  I'm going to a  gunshow this weekend and might pick up 2 handguns.  thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends on state.

Make sure you request they have ambi features, let them know you plan on handling them toegether both hands full.

Ask if they stock twin matching holsters for CCW

Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:29:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha! Nothing like that.  Maybe a Ruger .357 and a small pocket auto like Kahr or Kel-Tec.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:31:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I sold a guy two guns today.

Magnum Research BFR in .454 Casull, and a Desert Eagle .50 (no beamz).

Normal stuff, with the addition of a "Multiple handgun disposition form" which is faxed to the ATF.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:33:43 PM EDT
[#4]
In Texas it's easy.  They put the info on the same form, call you in once, and you're set!  

(MAN I love this state... where I can go into Academy, pick out the CZ pistol I want, fill the form out, and be out the door in 30 minutes!)  
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:37:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Yep same here, real quick and easy.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:46:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I believe in VA you must have a valid CCW to buy more than one handgun in a one-month period.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#7]
You don't have any extra paper work, but the FFL has to alert the BATFE to the fact that you purchsed multiple handguns from him.

Just buy one from one dealer and go buy the other from another dealer.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:13:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I've got a S&W 60 and a P7 that have the same birthday. Didn't need any special birthday cards

Stay safe
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:23:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You don't have any extra paper work, but the FFL has to alert the BATFE to the fact that you purchsed multiple handguns from him.

You don't think two NICS calls same day will flag anything? I have bought mulitiple handguns several times. I have not lost one moment of sleep, and my dog is still scooching her ass on the floor. It's all good.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
no more than two handguns in a 5 day period, doesnt matter how and when there purchased,  otherwise you start raisin red flags.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Every dealer I've run into will figure if you've got the money for two handguns at once, you probably have the money to buy some ammo or holsters too.  If you're not careful, they'll ruthlessly help you find anything else in the store you need to go with them.

It's just an extra form the dealer fills out, you don't have to do anything weird.  I've bought multiple handguns a few times and haven't gotten so much as a christmas card from the BATFE.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:42:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I've bought two at a time more than once.

No big deal for me, but it may vary by state.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:43:22 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
no more than two handguns in a 5 day period, doesnt matter how and when there purchased,  otherwise you start raisin red flags.

Is that new in Florida? Back in 1993 I bought three in one night, and all I had to do was fill out some BATF form or other.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 5:43:40 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Every dealer I've run into will figure if you've got the money for two handguns at once, you probably have the money to buy some ammo or holsters too.  If you're not careful, they'll ruthlessly help you find anything else in the store you need to go with them.

It's just an extra form the dealer fills out, you don't have to do anything weird.  I've bought multiple handguns a few times and haven't gotten so much as a christmas card from the BATFE.

What he said!
No big deal.
Hessian-1
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:01:42 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I sold a guy two guns today.

Magnum Research BFR in .454 Casull, and a Desert Eagle .50 (no beamz).

Normal stuff, with the addition of a "Multiple handgun disposition form" which is faxed to the ATF.

He should've gotten them both in .50 AE...

I wonder if he plans on trying to shoot them with one in each hand?

Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#16]
thats a no-no,,you make the radar when u do that
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 6:22:39 AM EDT
[#17]
Darlin', you're in GA, you won't have any problems.  Two from one dealer or one from two, same thing, and no big deal.  Just don't forget to post pics and let us see what follows you home!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:24:22 AM EDT
[#18]
I bought two stripped lowers and had the dealer sell them to me as pistols.   I would assume that since my receipt says "pistol lowers"...something to that effect anyway... he filed this extra paperwork ?    I've bought multiple pistols several times in the last 30 yrs and never heard a word.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are we pulling laws out of our ass again?

Statements like this without documentation are

I buy multiple guns at gunshows all the time and have been doing it for YEARS.

Never heard a word from anyone about it.

He almost knows the law. A FFL was required by law to report multiple handgun sales to an individual.

www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#f5

(F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual? [Back]

If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.

A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

that is correct.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 11:55:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
In Texas it's easy.  They put the info on the same form, call you in once, and you're set!  

(MAN I love this state... where I can go into Academy, pick out the CZ pistol I want, fill the form out, and be out the door in 30 minutes!)  

Does it take longer to get a pistol processed than a rifle? I picked up an AR lower on monday and I was in and out in less than 10 minutes.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He almost knows the law. A FFL was required by law to report multiple handgun sales to an individual.

(F5) As a licensed dealer, must I advise ATF if I sell more than one handgun to an individual? [Back]

If you sell or dispose of more than one handgun to any non-licensee during a period of 5 consecutive business days, the sale must be reported on ATF Form 3310.4, Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers, not later than the close of the business day on which you sold or disposed of the second handgun. The licensee must forward a copy of the Form 3310.4 to the ATF office specified thereon, and another copy must be forwarded to the State police or local law enforcement agency where the sale occurred. A copy of the Form 3310.4 also must be attached to the firearms transaction record, ATF Form 4473, documenting the sale or disposition of the second handgun.

A business day for purposes of reporting multiple sales of pistols or revolvers is a day that a licensee conducts business pursuant to the license, regardless of whether State offices are open. The application of the term “business day” is, therefore, distinguishable from the term “business day” as used in the NICS context. Example: A licensee conducts business only on Saturdays and Sundays, days on which State offices are not open. The licensee sells a pistol to an unlicensed person on a Saturday. If that same unlicensed person acquires another handgun the next day (Sunday), the following Saturday or Sunday, or the Saturday after the reporting requirement would be triggered, the subsequent acquisition of a handgun would have to be reported on a Form 3310.4 by the close of the day upon which the second or subsequent handgun was sold.

If ATF is getting a 3310.4, do they keep this record permanently?  If these records are not immediately destroyed after approval like those in the NICS system, then this seems like a federal handgun registration system.  At least my 4473 isn't going directly to ATF, but this 3310.4 because it goes directly to ATF, sounds like registration to me if the record is kept indefinitely.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:50:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I just bought 2 handguns today here in Ohio. Took longer to run the Credit card than to go threw the phone call ckeck.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would not accuse him of pulling laws out of his ass... He knows the law you do not. I thought everyone knew a FFL was required by LAW to report multiple handgun sales to an individual.

No extra paperwork for the buyer. But the dealer/FFL has to fill out multiple handgun purchase report and fax to NICS/ATF ASAP.

Too many multiple handgun purchase reports on one person will more than likely have that person under extra scrutinity the next time they are called in to NICS.
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 1:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

WHAT? thats crap! someone LIED to you.

i have bought 3 handguns and 2 rifles in one day.

PS any FFL in FL knows they have to fill out one simple form you as the buyer do nothing extra.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top