Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/11/2005 7:17:31 PM EDT
This was never an issue to me really, but when my state went up to 8% I started to take note.

Its not an issue on cheaper stuff really, you have shipping costs and all.  Most regular stuff can be shipped for $10-15$ except ammo.  When I spend over $300 I start to shop around.  

Take for example the following:  I go to a jewelry store this Christmas and look at purchasing a nice watch for the wife.  It retails for $450 and there is a 20% "discount for the holidays."  That's $360 PLUS TAX.  Total of $388.80.  That totals $28.80 for taxes.  I bought the exact same watch on Ebay for $265 shipped.  

I needed a couple of EoTechs.  I called my local dealer and he said he could get them for $399.00; that's what everyones selling them for.  Fine.  $798.00 PLUS TAX.  $63.84 in taxes. Total of $861.84.  I buy them out of state for $359 each plus $9 for shipping.  Even if I would have paid 399 plus 9 for shipping I still would have saved almost fifty-five bucks.  

I know this is not a whole hell of a lot of money, but it adds up over time.  Anyone else feel the way I do about this?

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:43:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Shhhhhhh, its only a matter of time before the price of databases catches up with this sort of thing.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:45:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:48:47 PM EDT
[#3]
... Saved $1657.50 on my chopper kit by ordering it on the Internet
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:50:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I order alot of stuff online, not to really save the tax, because most places here want to screw you on the price.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:52:08 PM EDT
[#5]
One of the things I did not consider before beginning a small business was the sales tax (8.8%!). The .gov virtually eats any profit margin I had. They certainly make MORE than I do on every sale.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:53:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
This was never an issue to me really, but when my state went up to 8% I started to take note.

Its not an issue on cheaper stuff really, you have shipping costs and all.  Most regular stuff can be shipped for $10-15$ except ammo.  When I spend over $300 I start to shop around.  

Take for example the following:  I go to a jewelry store this Christmas and look at purchasing a nice watch for the wife.  It retails for $450 and there is a 20% "discount for the holidays."  That's $360 PLUS TAX.  Total of $388.80.  That totals $28.80 for taxes.  I bought the exact same watch on Ebay for $265 shipped.  

I needed a couple of EoTechs.  I called my local dealer and he said he could get them for $399.00; that's what everyones selling them for.  Fine.  $798.00 PLUS TAX.  $63.84 in taxes. Total of $861.84.  I buy them out of state for $359 each plus $9 for shipping.  Even if I would have paid 399 plus 9 for shipping I still would have saved almost fifty-five bucks.  

I know this is not a whole hell of a lot of money, but it adds up over time.  Anyone else feel the way I do about this?

I think it is okay around here to do that with watches and everything else, but don't tell anyone around here about buying a gun on the internet and using a transfer dealer or the wrath of a bunch of ARFCOMers will come down on you like a ton of bricks for not supporting your  local FFL stocking dealer.

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:53:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I live in Pittsburgh, but work in Philly.

Delaware (no sales tax) is 20 minutes away.

beer isn't wrth the trip because at 7% off, you still get hit with a .05 deposit per bottle.

However, en route home, a quick stop for a few high ticket items would be worth the effort.

Hey, the tax in PA, Allegeny county is 7%.

that's about $35/$500.

I'd figure that anything not too big(like a safe) that's over $200-250 would be worth my trip.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:57:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Chicago's general tax is up to around 9%.  Home owner's tax... lets just say people are moving out of chicago.

Thank you Daly and your corrupt department for spending all your money and using your subjects to bail you out.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:58:07 PM EDT
[#9]
8%
I wish ours was that low
8.25 now and in a month or two it'll be 9.25% in my county
doesn't matter though, in NY you have to declare all purchases that were not taxed by NY state on the income tax form
internet purchases, out of state. hell even if you buy something in a county in NY with a smaller sales tax you're supposed to make up the difference on the income tax form
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:07:38 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in PA on the PA/DE border. DE has no sales tax. It's good on high dollar items. There's also a some decent gun shops in DE.

The biggest advantage is buying alcohol. PA has some pretty retarted laws, like the whole state store concept, and the price fixing and taxing involved. Therefore PA alcohol selection SUCKS. I drive 5 minutes into DE and there's a liquor store that is literally the size of a K-Mart with prices to match.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Ohio has the same deal....make up for out of state purchases with your income tax.

No one declares anything.

Hell, my government teacher in HS (was only 2 years ago) told us to ignore it, he does :)
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:14:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think it is okay around here to do that with watches and everything else, but don't tell anyone around here about buying a gun on the internet and using a transfer dealer or the wrath of a bunch of ARFCOMers will come down on you like a ton of bricks for not supporting your  local FFL stocking dealer.

There are of course certain things my dealer can't get or does not know how to get so he doesn't mind the occasional transfer in for me.  I hardly ever buy Title I firearms anymore anyway.  

One this is for sure.  I wouldn't live in a place like NY if they demanded tax on out of state purchases like poor sharky30.  

Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
8%
I wish ours was that low
8.25 now and in a month or two it'll be 9.25% in my county
doesn't matter though, in NY you have to declare all purchases that were not taxed by NY state on the income tax form
internet purchases, out of state. hell even if you buy something in a county in NY with a smaller sales tax you're supposed to make up the difference on the income tax form

Technically, anything you buy out of state and then USE in state you're supposed to pay tax on. This could include a tank of gas you bought over the border if they got nit-picky, clothing etc. It's an "honor thing" on the form as they have no way of tracking it. YET. I told my tax prep guy to put ZERO on the line for "extra tax owed" or whatever it says. He said " I don't put down squat on that line for anyone."

"NYS, we never stop trying harder to fuck you!"
This has been a public service message brought to you by a Democrat in a republican suit, George Pataki.

S.O.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To be quite honest I couldn't give two shits about any local stocking dealers.  I'm 23 but I look 17.  I get treated like a little kid with no money and get zero respect from most gun dealers.  I found a guy that gives me as many copies of his ffl's to send out as I need and does tranfers from his home for $15.  Even if it's a place that the dealer has to do the order (at wholesale prices) I only pay him $15 more than his cost to cover the transfer fee.  He's the nicest FFL holder I've met.  I used to go to a local gunsmith but when he realized I buy guns every other month he wanted to double his fee.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:49:34 PM EDT
[#15]
When you're a retired couple that's looking at a motorhome in the $180K-$350K range, the state you buy it in becomes a HUGE consideration. Oregon doesn't have a state sales tax, and so, not surprisingly, you see a lot of expensive motorhomes with Oregon license plates on them. Technically, this isn't illegal, since many folks live in their motorhomes full-time and have no fixed residential address. Thus, Oregon becomes their legal state of residence – at least until after all the paperwork's been signed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:57:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 9:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Other nice thing is the one stop shop factor.

Amazon sells a LOT more than books and DVDs.

I go to malls about once a year now.

I only go to the mall because its got the closest chic-fil-a
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:07:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't know if this off topic...But I've often wanted to ask my UPS guy(or somebody that has worked for them for awhile) how the widespread use of the internet has increased their business.  It must have skyrocketed.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 10:08:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I go down to Delaware every other Saturday (working)...everything's tax free baby!!!...I have an empty cargo van, so I can buy big item's if need be. I bought a kayak this past spring...saved a $120 bucks in tax...what the hell I'm down there anyway. Cigarettes and dip are dirt cheap also. Also did alot of Christmas shopping as well...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top