Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 2/10/2006 11:46:44 AM EST
I'll be getting out of the military in a few days and the new job I have is a contracted position.

If ya'll could point me in the right direction to some good quality insurance(better that BC/BS)...I sure would appreciate it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 11:50:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:03:50 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:43:17 PM EST
have you considered a medical savings account?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:44:33 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 2:53:36 PM EST
I am in the same situation you can contact TRICARE and fo $2,000 you can get 3 months of tricare standard coverage (meaning you'll have deductibles). You can have this for up to a year I think just renewing it every three months and paying again. The program is called Continued Health Care Benifits (CHCB) the $2,000 covers you entire family. Hope this helps. It is not a permanent solution but it will buy you time while changing gears. Good Luck!!
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 3:18:24 PM EST
bump for those in need
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:32:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:47:59 AM EST
If you're in GA, you might look into Kaiser (the HMO). We had it when we lived in Atlanta, and the wife loved it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 1:12:31 PM EST
Individual , as opposed to group, coverage can be a bit difficult. Start with the website of your state department of insurance or call directly. Get the names of the carriers licensed to sell individual policies in your state. Try those websites or call and ask for rates and an application. Some sell direct, some only through brokers. Individual coverage gets pricey and most are no better or worse than BC/BS in terms of coverage and cost, at least here in Nazi Jersey.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 4:09:08 PM EST
Thanks for the responses guys...keep 'em coming.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:19:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:22:56 AM EST
Here in Maine i think there are 2 or 3 carriers. They all seem to be within a few dollars of each other i pay $1123.00 per month for My family ( 2 kids, wife ) .
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:29:43 AM EST
What you want to do is buy catastrophic coverage only and have a health savings account. For someone in your situation it would make the most sense and save you lots of money. Also as young people you really are not going to be sick or have chronic problems. So you have to cover only for accidents and such. The above will cover you. So you get a policy that starts at after $5000 in costs. You put the $5000 in a savings account. Tax deductible as well.

The other option is for your wife to get a job where health insurance is an option. Starbucks for example will give you health insurance.

That would be the way to save the most money and get ahead.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:32:15 AM EST
Also you would be surprised who provides healthcare coverage. Target, Kroger, Starbucks etc. They are not glamorous jobs but they will be useful. Also going back to school is an option. Schools will usually have discounted insurance you can buy.
Top Top