Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/21/2006 5:56:46 AM EDT
So I go to Walmart and buy some ammo for my trip to the range.  I didn't really get that much, just (1) 100rd WWB od .40 S&W, (1) 100rd WWB of .380, and (4) 40rd boxes of WWB .223.  Not really that much....

So after the lady brings it to the counter...she just gives me this blank look and says "what are you going to use all of this for??"  I then told her "I'm going to the range this morning".  She then proceeds to ask me "so what range are you going to...where is it at?".  She said it with a tone that made me thing she thought I was going to rob a bank or something.  I just told her "the local range".

After she range me up I got the hell out of there.  I'm surprised that someone working behind the ammo counter would be so weird about me buying ammo.  I guess she's never see someone come in and by more than one box of ammo before.

I wonder what kind of reactions some of you guys get when you go in and buy 10+ boxes of WWB .223 ammo?  

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:59:36 AM EDT
[#1]
They won't even carry mine for me any more Living in redneckville buying ammo is pretty normal, they keep several cases in stock.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:03:53 AM EDT
[#2]
just tell her "I was just down in the SPC kicking it with some G's on the west side."

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:04:37 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd just ask "what do people usually do with ammo?"
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:07:41 AM EDT
[#4]
They just ask me if I want a box to put it in.  

G

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:10:32 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
just tell her "I was just down in the SPC kicking it with some G's on the west side."

qcom.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pG01-2206611dt.jpg

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:12:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The same guy always seems to be working when I go in there... he doesn't talk very much but its got to the point where he knows what I want when I go up there and he never asks to see my ID anymore.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:13:16 AM EDT
[#8]
HATE STUPID PEOPLE.  You should have told her the range consisted of a "bell tower".
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:16:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:20:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Just cross your eyes and say "when the zombies come.....you're on 'yer own!"
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#11]
As far as I know there is no limit to how much ammo you can buy at a wally world. Unless anyone knows of some store policy. So she should just shut it and give you what you want no questions asked.hatever
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:23:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Tell her WTF, you've got more than me!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Your answer should have been......

"Whateve be HIS will.....Praise be to Allah...Allah Allah Ahkbar"

That would take care of it.....

Add "infidel" in there somewhere, and post the mug shots!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:25:31 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Your answer should have been......

"Whateve be HIS will.....Praise be to Allah...Allah Allah Ahkbar"

That would take care of it.....

That's great!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:27:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:27:28 AM EDT
[#16]
Checking out with WWB a couple of months ago at Wal-Mart.

Checkout woman: I don't need yo ID, I member you bought bullets last week! Can I look at em?

Me: Sure

Checkout woman: (Opens a box) OOOOooo, thems are big. What dey go in?

Me: A rfile. (didn't see the need to go into detail here)

Checkout woman: I'm gonna get me one dem guns soon. Prolly get one dem handguns. What dey called? Dem Glocks? Hell yeah, I needs me a gun!

Checkout woman at next register: Girl you sho don't need no gun. You crazy.

Checkout woman: Sh*t! Yes I do! It be dangerous round here. I be bustin a cap in somebody's ass dey try anything wit me. Course I have to learn how to shoot! Get me some dem targets! Hehehehe hahahaha. Oh girl, you prolly right I be dangerous if I had me a gun.

Me: Alright, you girls have a good day.

Both: Alright honey, we see you later. Have a good day.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:30:10 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Checkout woman: I don't need yo ID, I member you bought bullets last week! Can I look at em?

Checkout woman: I'm gonna get me one dem guns soon. Prolly get one dem handguns. What dey called? Dem Glocks? Hell yeah, I needs me a gun!

Checkout woman: Sh*t! Yes I do! It be dangerous round here. I be bustin a cap in somebody's ass dey try anything wit me. Course I have to learn how to shoot! Get me some dem targets! Hehehehe hahahaha. Oh girl, you prolly right I be dangerous if I had me a gun.

One trip to the range and you could have had her.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:32:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

One trip to the range and you could have had her.

No doubt. However, she was about 4-5 times the size of my fiancee, so I think I'm better off sticking with what I've got.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:34:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:35:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:37:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:38:56 AM EDT
[#22]
The people at the local Walmart gun counter are usually pretty ignorant of guns but they are all pretty enthusiastic about shooting.  I even had a girl at the Walmart gun counter hint around that she wanted to go along on the shooting trip!

I suspect that what the clerk in your case really meant was "Why are you buying all this .380 ammo?"
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:40:01 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
So I go to Walmart and buy some ammo for my trip to the range.  I didn't really get that much, just (1) 100rd WWB od .40 S&W, (1) 100rd WWB of .380, and (4) 40rd boxes of WWB .223.  Not really that much....

So after the lady brings it to the counter...she just gives me this blank look and says "what are you going to use all of this for??"  I then told her "I'm going to the range this morning".  She then proceeds to ask me "so what range are you going to...where is it at?".  She said it with a tone that made me thing she thought I was going to rob a bank or something.  I just told her "the local range".

After she range me up I got the hell out of there.  I'm surprised that someone working behind the ammo counter would be so weird about me buying ammo.  I guess she's never see someone come in and by more than one box of ammo before.

I wonder what kind of reactions some of you guys get when you go in and buy 10+ boxes of WWB .223 ammo?  

My stock answer to such asshats:

"Ma'am, do you ask the same sort of question when people buy ten boxes of diapers and toilet paper? 'Just where are you going with all those diapers? What would somebody need all that toilet paper for?' How about tampons? Do you ask the same question when people buy ten big boxes of tampons?"

Do this in a calm voice, but audibly enough so that other customers hear it and asshat cash register droid gets embarrassed. THEN go talk to the manager. Guaranteed, she will never do it again, to anybody.

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:43:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Last time there, I bought four WWB boxes of .45 ACP.  The girl behind the counter asked "you goin' huntin', or just target shootin?"  While trying to maintain a polite smile and not laughing outright at her, I just replied "target practice".  Then she looks over at the next checker and says "yeah, we get kind of crazy down by the river with the guns sometime" and they both laugh.  The other checker said something about rednecks haing fun.  Ahhhh yeah, right, have a good one.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:45:28 AM EDT
[#25]
I have bought 2500 rounds at Wallmart and all I got was a sank you.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:46:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I just ask them if they want my money or should I go somewhere else
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:55:48 AM EDT
[#28]
Can't sell handgun ammo in town went to Wal-Mart to buy some .22 guy asked me what are you going to use these in not thinking I said pistol.......Sorry can't sell them to you......so if I would have said rifle the sale would have went through.....How fucking stupid is that......
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 6:56:59 AM EDT
[#29]
just report her to management-- these types of comments are not appropriate in the workplace and with customers, and therefore she should be fired.... hehe

Or, mess with her and do like others have said...
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:00:29 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Can't sell handgun ammo in town went to Wal-Mart to buy some .22 guy asked me what are you going to use these in not thinking I said pistol.......Sorry can't sell them to you......so if I would have said rifle the sale would have went through.....How fucking stupid is that......

In wisconsin? (I'm assuming since that's your location)

No local government can have gun restrictions  tougher than the state - so any local ban would be illegal.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:02:00 AM EDT
[#31]
Fortunately, I don't have to buy ammo at WalMart as there is an excellent gun shop in town that has decent prices on everything.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:02:43 AM EDT
[#32]
"Is it Wally World's or .Gov's policy that I must answer those questions before I purchase ammo?"

EDIT:  Although a different situation as you described, I've told other cashiers about where to shoot 3- gun, IDPA, etc.

My response is situational dependent.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:30:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I did my weekly .223 WWB value pack buy out yesterday.  I walked up to the counter and I would take the Winchester .223 value packs, as usual she pulled out the box of the varmint rounds and  told her no not those the ones beside of them.  She pulls a box out and sets it on the counter and I asked her if that was all she had?  She no how many do you want?  I said I want them all!  I walked out with my 13 boxes.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:40:25 AM EDT
[#34]
When buying at wallyworld, you get the same olde question "is this for a pistol or rifle?"...

and my standard reply (and truth) is "neither, it for a submachinegun!"

some of the looks are priceless
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My stock answer to such asshats:

"Ma'am, do you ask the same sort of question when people buy ten boxes of diapers and toilet paper? 'Just where are you going with all those diapers? What would somebody need all that toilet paper for?' How about tampons? Do you ask the same question when people buy ten big boxes of tampons?"

Do this in a calm voice, but audibly enough so that other customers hear it and asshat cash register droid gets embarrassed. THEN go talk to the manager. Guaranteed, she will never do it again, to anybody.

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:00:26 AM EDT
[#36]
shoot it
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:10:31 AM EDT
[#37]
"to get it off the streets."
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:17:23 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
When buying at wallyworld, you get the same olde question "is this for a pistol or rifle?"...

O to be a fly on the wall.....
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:28:56 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Anyone who asks a stupid question like that is obviously not a shooter--and probably doesn't know any shooters.  As I live in Illinoisistan I am very careful what I say about anything relating to firearms.  I most often describe myself as a "target shooter"--people seem to readily accept that.  When in situations such as the one you describe I try to leave a good impression of "gun people"--smile, act polite and professional (I'm almost always in a suit or at least have a white shirt and tie) and am very friendly.  My answer to that would have been a simple, "Oh, I'm going target shooting"--with a pleasant smile.  Any form of "acting strange" or suspicious will leave an impression we can ill afford.  

The movie "Falling Down" comes to mind.

Wait a second here...
TBK... Is this you???

Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:31:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I like it when I go to academy to buy blazer 9mm. I'll take 40 boxes please. The look on their faces is priceless.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:39:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Fortunately, no one in my entire state talks like this.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:44:11 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

The actual queston that comes up on the register (you can see it, right where the price would be) is "Is this for a handgun <Y/N>."  If you choose "Y" the next question is "Over 21 <Y/N>"  If they actually ASK that question, then I answer honestly (I'm on the far side of 21).  If they ad lib, and modify it to "Is this for a rifle or a handgun?" which is not what the question asks, then I give them the submachine gun answer, and watch them try to figure out where to go from there.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I get a "Are you sure that's all you need? We have a few more boxes in back if you want 'em.."

But I saw their sticker thingie for who can buy what--21 for .22lr! WTF?
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:55:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Anyone who asks a stupid question like that is obviously not a shooter--and probably doesn't know any shooters. As I live in Illinoisistan I am very careful what I say about anything relating to firearms. I most often describe myself as a "target shooter"--people seem to readily accept that. When in situations such as the one you describe I try to leave a good impression of "gun people"--smile, act polite and professional (I'm almost always in a suit or at least have a white shirt and tie) and am very friendly. My answer to that would have been a simple, "Oh, I'm going target shooting"--with a pleasant smile. Any form of "acting strange" or suspicious will leave an impression we can ill afford.

+1
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:15:37 AM EDT
[#45]
"I don’t ask you what you do with all them goats, disposable cameras and midgets when your husband is at work.  So don’t ask me what I am spending my hard earned money on."

That is all it takes most times.  If not then I bust out a little known fact about lib women who ask too many questions.  "So when did you start hate'n men?  Was it right after your dad started drinking and spending too much time with you in the tub or something?"
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:18:22 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
So after the lady brings it to the counter...she just gives me this blank look and says "what are you going to use all of this for??"

My answer - "Whatever the voices in my head tell me to do."   I get some real interesting looks.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:27:19 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

I have only ever heard one reason that they do this--and they only do it for 22LR ammo, and (when I heard of it) they were only doing it in certain states. The reason is that (in at least some states) you can buy rifle ammo if you are only 18, but you can't buy handgun ammo unless you are 21 years old. (or, there may be quantity limits that are different, perhaps...?)
So when you buy 22LR, they have to ask which it's for. Always say it's for a rifle.
--------
If you shop for anything at Wal-Mart you do "take a ride on the short bus" a lot of days.
Wal-Mart doesn't pay enough to attract or retain knowledgeable employees, and their input into company operations isn't valued beyond reporting employee theft and workman's comp fraud.
Most of the people on the floor are pretty expendable in corporate's opinion.  
~~~~~
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Oh yeah...done that!  

My responses to such questions in the past:

WM Employee: "Make sure you shoot the right shells out of the right gun!" (had purchased 20ga and 12ga)
Me:  "Well, THAT's what I've been doing wrong all this time! THANKS man!"

WM Employee:  "Going shooting?" (After purchasing 500 asst rounds of ammo)

Me: "Nope, stocking up for when the zombies come."

WM Door Watcher/Bag Checker: (after literally grabbing the bag out of my hands and rifling through it) "What are you going to do with all these bullets??"

Me: "None of your fucking business, give me back my paid for goods, and where is your manager."

That ended with much profuse apologizing from the nearest manager, with a promise that it would never happen again.  This lady had done the same routine almost every time I bought ammo there one summer, and I had had enough.  I didn't see her there after that.

WM Employee (teenage black kid):  "Yo man, whatchu need?"

Me: (with a grin) "Forties and nines bro, forties and nines.  Two hundred of each."

WM Employee: (grinning back) "Dats tight man."
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:49:57 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fortunately, no one in my entire state talks like this.

Consider yourself lucky. Not everyone here talks like that, but we have a rather high percentage of people that do.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:54:06 AM EDT
[#50]
If you buy less than 1k rounds of ammo at the walmart here they look at you funny and say "Is that all?"
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top