Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2006 5:02:17 AM EDT
This may sound sort of pathetic, especially coming from someone who used to sell everything from copiers to timeshares to insurance, but I HATE dealing with car salesmen.  The last few times I have bought a car (with one exception) I felt like I was getting screwed big-time.

So, here is the problem.  Very, VERY soon (come hell, high water, or auction block) I am going to have have some money to spend on a new vehicle.  Yes, I want new (I'm funny that way - plus the vehicle in question can only be purchased new right now as it is a new model).

We are going to get a new v6 Toyota Rav 4.  Just came out.

There are like 6 big Toyota dealerships within driving range.

Seeing as how Toyotas are very popular, does it stand to reason that I might not be able to get as great a deal as if I were buying, say, a GM or Ford?  

A good friend of mine suggested going to each dealership, sitting down with the sales manager, and saying, "Here's what I want, I will finance (I have excellent credit), and here's my trade-in.  Give me your best price." and then saying, "OK, now I'm going to go to the next Toyota dealership and see what they can do for me - I might be back.  Here's my phone number - if anything changes in the price, call me." - He said to do this about 2 weeks into the month, so that if they get desperate towards the end of the month they may call and offer a great price just to move inventory for a sales commission bonus at the end of the month.

As for the trade-in.  We have a 3 year old Suzuki 5-sp with a lot of miles on it.  I just don't think I'd have good luck selling it on my own, plus the wife doesn't want people showing up at our house to look at it.  I suppose another option would be to go to CarMax for them to buy it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:03:52 AM EDT
[#1]
www.carbuyingtips.com

Dunno if that'll help or not.

I was looking at the Rav 4s last week when I bought the Celica.. they're nice looking cars.

Decent gas mileage too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:04:48 AM EDT
[#2]
CarMax doesn't usually buy high mileage cars.

They did buy a Pontiac Grand Prix from me with 60k on it, as I recall, but that's unusual for them.  The car was in mint condition.

Pricewise, Carmax did well by me
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:06:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Toyota truck down here close to two years ago.  I did it all on line.   Went back and forth on the price by e-mail.    
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:09:41 AM EDT
[#4]
All I can say is good luck.  I was looking at new Tacomas this past week and hit four different dealers; none of them were interested in my offer.  They did try to sell me the stripped down 2wd version though
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
All I can say is good luck.  I was looking at new Tacomas this past week and hit four different dealers; none of them were interested in my offer.  They did try to sell me the stripped down 2wd version though

What was the offer?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:39:23 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I bought a Toyota truck down here close to two years ago.  I did it all on line.   Went back and forth on the price by e-mail.    

Did they do anything regarding financing and trade-in online as well?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Do not mention anything about a trade in, and if they ask don't discuss it.  Negotiate solely on the price of the car first, then get into the trade in.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:49:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Is Precision Toyota still on Dale Mabry by the stadium?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:44:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Yes
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:00:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I'm now a consultant in the business of helping dealerships set up internet sales departments.  Absolutely, without fail, send a lead from the manufacturer's website to several dealerships.  Dealers get into price wars with internet ads that they seldom do with other sources of advertising.  Don't be afraid to go back and forth with a few of them by email to get the best price.  

When you go to the dealership, make sure you let them know that you've been talking to the internet manager... because if you don't, they're likely to try to get you at a higher price than you were quoted.  Print the quote that you received, and bring it with you.  Be forewarned that if they try to put you in another car, they may not give the same discount.  If they say "it's sold", then ask them to find an identical car at the same price... they can trade with other dealers.

If you have the printed quote that you received, and you're willing to make sure that it's fulfilled, it's a cake-walk.  Feel free to IM me if you need help.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:04:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

let me make a call...
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:10:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I hate new cars.
I'd buy an old car and fix it up.
If you desire a FWD ( with all the snow you get in FL) go get an old jeep
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:36:13 AM EDT
[#14]
****WHAT EVER YOU DO****

DO NOT listen to them when they say.... "what kind of payment each month can you handle"?

I would get out a kelley's blue book and get a price quote -- this is a good indicator of what their cost could be.  So, expect to pay a little more than that price.

But, whatever you do, DO NOT let them talk you into dealing with the numbers for just monthly payments, because if they ask you, "what is your maximum monthly payment you feel comfortable with," then they can play with the i-rates and months allowed to screw you out of money way easier than only going off present value or future value numbers.

Have an idea of the maximum amount, after interest and everything else, that you are willing to spend on a vehicle -- and a maximum number of months. If you change the months or the monthly payment, then you could be paying a whole lot more than you wanted to.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:43:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Go to www.edmunds.com  It is a great site full of useful information
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

let me make a call...

Thanks, dude!  BTW - did you ever get that Porsche?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:50:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Debt=ohhnoeeeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!!!!11111
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:18:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes

let me make a call...

Thanks, dude!  BTW - did you ever get that Porsche?

Yup, I got it...

(I might sell it now  )
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:22:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:23:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I thought Precision was the one on Fletcher. They change their names so much it's hard to tell.

Probably trying to stay one step ahead of the law
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:28:02 AM EDT
[#21]
OK, my buddy works for Toyota and tells me that their dealers are the biggest pricks in the business.  They treat their customers like crap. They even give him crap when he picks up a car because they are not making any money on him.

Goto Autotrader.com and make some offers with some of the Toyota dealers online.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:30:26 AM EDT
[#22]
Just make sure you have a pre-approved loan, so when the flunkie salesman comes out with a lowball tard price you can say SOLD!!
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:32:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Just make sure you have a pre-approved loan, so when the flunkie salesman comes out with a lowball tard price you can say SOLD!!

Bingo, the dealerships will lowball you and then stick with a nice loan to make up the profit.

Where is LT when you need him.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 8:46:35 AM EDT
[#24]
I buy maybe every ten years, but I think the key is information. Know price the dealer paid for the car (which may be less than "invoide"), and know what your trade-in car is worth. With those two variables you can start to put a price on the package deal.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Problem is that the best rate I can find on an auto loan right now is 5.8% and the dealership is offering 2.9% - BUT they might try and jack the price of the car up to cover the lower interest rate.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:51:01 AM EDT
[#26]
I asked around and looks like you will be paying close to MSRP unless you go with another brand.  If they will sell it to you at MSRP then take the 2.9% and walk out.  I dont think you will get much of a better deal then this for this particular model.

If you want an ESCAPE or TRAILBLAZER you can quite a deal.  

But you tend to get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:54:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I asked around and looks like you will be paying close to MSRP unless you go with another brand.  If they will sell it to you at MSRP then take the 2.9% and walk out.  I dont think you will get much of a better deal then this for this particular model.

If you want an ESCAPE or TRAILBLAZER you can quite a deal.  

But you tend to get what you pay for.

How about the 06 Tundras?
With the new 07 coming out, any chance on a deal for the old Tundras come Sept./Oct (when I will be buying a new truck.)

Not sure about those.   But Toyotas as a rule dont get many discounts or rebates at all.  Thats why the dealers can be asses and get away with it.  It cant hurt to ask.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 11:04:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:19:07 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Problem is that the best rate I can find on an auto loan right now is 5.8% and the dealership is offering 2.9% - BUT they might try and jack the price of the car up to cover the lower interest rate.

Edmunds will give you the approximate invoice price on the car.  Dealer cost on the car is usually around $800 or so less than that, plus interest that the dealer owes if they've been sitting on the car a really long time.  I've compared the Edmunds invoice price to actual vehicle invoices, and found them to occasionally be off by $300 or so, but nothing too awful.

Also, go to one of the credit bureaus and spend the $20 or so to get your credit report with the score number.  For some reason unknown to me, most dealers around here go by the TransUnion score, but dealers in your area may be different.  Unless you have anything goofy pertaining to a car loan in your recent past, a score of 700 or better usually guarantees that you'll get the top-tier rate.  My brother was around 660 when he got his car in late '04, and that was right on the borderline where he needed a co-signer to get the best rate.

With that information, you'll know if you qualify for the best rate, so you won't have to hear any BS when they get you into the finance office.  You'll also know the best price you can get on the car, because you'll be holding the printed price quote in your hand.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:07:36 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This may sound sort of pathetic, especially coming from someone who used to sell everything from copiers to timeshares to insurance, but I  dealing with car salesmen.  The last few times I have bought a car (with one exception) I felt like I was getting screwed big-time.

So, here is the problem.  Very, VERY soon (come hell, high water, or auction block) I am going to have have some money to spend on a new vehicle.  Yes, I want new (I'm funny that way - plus the vehicle in question can only be purchased new right now as it is a new ).

We are going to get a new v6 Toyota Rav 4.  Just came out.

There are like 6 big Toyota dealerships within driving range.

Seeing as how Toyotas are very popular, does it stand to reason that I might not be able to get as great a deal as if I were buying, say, a GM or Ford?  

A good friend of mine suggested going to each dealership, sitting down with the sales manager, and saying, "Here's what I want, I will finance (I have excellent credit), and here's my trade-in.  Give me your best price." and then saying, "OK, now I'm going to go to the next Toyota dealership and see what they can do for me - I might be back.  Here's my phone number - if anything changes in the price, call me." - He said to do this about 2 weeks into the month, so that if they get desperate towards the end of the month they may call and offer a great price just to move inventory for a sales commission bonus at the end of the month.

As for the trade-in.  We have a 3 year old Suzuki 5-sp with a lot of miles on it.  I just don't think I'd have good luck selling it on my own, plus the wife doesn't want people showing up at our house to look at it.  I suppose another option would be to go to CarMax for them to buy it.

Sell the Suzuki on your own.  You will always get screwed on the trade-in.
Buy the car through an online car buying place. No haggling involved.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top