Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/14/2010 2:24:36 PM EDT
Hey guys,

Im looking to buy a bike, the guy who is selling it has lost the title. the bike seems legit. he rode it to meet me and he had current tags and inspection. he said that we would go to the tag office and get all the paperwork filled out. my question, is this a good idea or should i demand a Title before i buy.

I live in NC
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:25:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Hey guys,

Im looking to buy a bike, the guy who is selling it has lost the title. the bike seems legit. he rode it to meet me and he had current tags and inspection. he said that we would go to the tag office and get all the paperwork filled out. my question, is this a good idea or should i demand a Title before i buy.

I live in NC

Have him get the title.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey guys,

I live in NC

Have him get the title.

This
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Here the DMV has a way to transfer ownership with a lost title.  I'd assume NC does too.  Don't give him all the $$ until you get title.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I live in NC

If you pllan on registering it, you had best make sure there is a title.

If you just waant it to cruise the lower 40 and never will ride it on  the street, I suppose you can afford to take a chance IF you get a notorized bill of sale to cover you in case it turns up stolen.

Like in a lot of things in life, it depends on what you want to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

I live in NC

If you pllan on registering it, you had best make sure there is a title.

If you just waant it to cruise the lower 40 and never will ride it on  the street, I suppose you can afford to take a chance IF you get a notorized bill of sale to cover you in case it turns up stolen.

Like in a lot of things in life, it depends on what you want to do with it.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Look at the title first before you buy it, it could be stolen perhaps?
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Not sure about NC, but he should be able to get a re-issue with a valid registration and proper id.  It will be SOOO, much easier if he does it...
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Get the title.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:31:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Go to the MVD with him. Have him obtain a duplicate title (here in AZ simply a matter of moments) and then proceed with the sale.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Yep.  If he wants to sell it, he should get the replacement title in hand before doing so.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:32:50 PM EDT
[#11]
No Title, No Cash
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:34:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Title up front.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Get the title, could be a salvage.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:35:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I lost the title to my old truck before I sold it.    All it took was 30 minutes in the DMV with my ID and current registration and I got a new title for $10 IIRC.

Make him do the same.

Don't buy anything without a title.   Period.

ETA:   it only took 30 minutes because our DMV is slowwwww.   It only took 5 minutes at the window, it just took 30 minutes total to wait.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:36:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Check the chassis and engine #/VIN against the paper work.  Follow NC DMV protocol for xfer with a lost title - shouldn't be a huge problem if you confirm he is the registered owner/title holder prior to handing over any cash.

Brian
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:37:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Get the title, in FL you can get what is called a fast title. It cost more

but you can walk in and get one right away.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#17]
All he has to do is go to the DMV, show proof of identity, pay a few bucks, and they'll print him out  a title.  At least that's the way it works in Virginia.

Jane
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:40:25 PM EDT
[#18]
DO NOT BUY A BIKE WITHOUT THE TITLE!

A buddy of mine did this from one of his biker buddies.  2 Days after purchase it was stolen.  My buddy got stuck for $8500.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:48:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks guys for the input. i told him that i need the title to buy the bike.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:50:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Valid registration in his name only, no finance company or spouse (unless she happens to be there in person) and valid ID with address match between reg and D/L.

Should not be an issue registering with that + written bill of sale. Just apply for lost title when you register.

At least that is how I did it when I bought a truck that was missing the title. Worked out fine.

This was NOT in NC.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#21]
He may have it financed and the lienholder could have the title.

DO NOT BUY WITHOUT A TITLE.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:37:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Proper & correct title with the right VIN or no money changes hands.  PERIOD.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I would not buy any car, truck, boat, motorcycle, four wheeler, etc.. w/o a title.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top