Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2005 12:25:20 PM EDT
Im looking to get a used sportbike. Im not going to insure it, since it's not required here in FL. Looking at all makes/models. Im looking at a 97 Honda F3, might go see it later. But people on here have told me to look into getting a bike from an insurance company/auction cheap.

Well, i was wondering where to look. I dont know where they have those auctions or where to go looking for them. Im in Fl, so if there are laws regarding the title of the bike, any FL members know what to get and what not to get? Rebuilt, rebuildable, salvage, certificate of destruction etc. What are the differences of them all and which ones can i register?

Any and all info will help, right now im just looking on ebay and cycletrader for a used one, but if i can snag a cheap one it'd be great. Ideally i'd like to spend 2k on the bike, ive found some mid-late 90's honda's and 2000-ish Katana's in the 2-3k range.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 12:28:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it  racebike, or are you going to be riding it on the street?  If you're going to be on the street, why not get insurance?  Liability, at the very least.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:38:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:00:05 PM EDT
[#3]
If you're gonna put the bike on the track (WERA "Vintage 7" would be a great idea for racing it), then just make sure it's mechanically sound and don't worry about the bodywork, 'cause you'll be replacing that anyway. Lots of the bikes that are "totaled" really don't have much wrong with them other than mangled bodywork, so... could be a good way to go.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 11:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is it  racebike, or are you going to be riding it on the street?  If you're going to be on the street, why not get insurance?  Liability, at the very least.

Street bike, I was thinking more like a repo, or cosmetic damage. Insurance is rediculously expensive for me since im 19. I found a nice 2003 Katana im gonna go look at wed. 9k miles, and the dealership is asking 2500 for it. Looks good in the pic, so i'll see soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top