Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/21/2016 3:29:21 PM EDT
ACE has them on sale for $130 so I think I'm going to pop over and get one.

I know there are some here who say charcoal is the only way to go, but I'm looking for something a little less involved than that. Seems easier to maintain start with.

Can anyone who owns own share share their opinion on them? I've never smoked before so this will be a first.

Very excited.

Don't think I'll do more than ribs, chicken, pork butt on it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:31:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2016 3:34:31 PM EDT by Squatch]
Yes.

They're pieces of shit. Mine is barely 3/4 of a year old, and it's already falling apart.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:33:30 PM EDT
Save your money and buy a Traeger.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:34:27 PM EDT
I have the older version of the 40in with a window. The window is worthless. I use mine about 4 times a month for the last 4 years and about a month ago the heating element burned out. A new one cost me $27 shipped to the house. It is installed and everything seems to be working.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:40:40 PM EDT
I guess I missed in the directions to dry it out after use. I keep it clean, leave the doors open to dry, then keep a cover on it. It is on a side porch under a roof. But the damn thing is still rusting on the inside. Not sure how to prevent it.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:42:03 PM EDT
Is it a digital one?

I love mine. Look into the amazen pellet smoker for true set it and forget it smoking. Otherwise you'll need to add chips every 45 mins or so.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:44:35 PM EDT

It'll serve you fine for the cost. Once this gets you started you'll be shopping for a barrel grill with side fire box before you know it though

I have the digital one and it's been great. No issues over ~3 years. Not as good as charcoal but does a good enough job for less work.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:46:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2016 3:47:49 PM EDT by edjeep]
Season it, wrap the tray in foil for easy clean up, and check the accuracy of the thermometer/probe if it has one.

I got my first electric smoker for Christmas 2015 and so far I love it. I'm learning how to smoke in it. So far so good. It's a learning experience, that's for sure. Not so good at timing the meat being done with meal time, but that just means more practice.

It is always in the cover, under the awning when not in use. I also run it empty for an hour or so after use.

Edit: So far I have done brisket, pork loin, pizza, beef & duck jerky
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:50:50 PM EDT
Poster above mentions adding chips every 45 minutes. True if you want to keep the smoke rolling, however I have found that in most cases so far a good smoke to get things started usually does the trick to our taste and I have stopped adding chips after the initial smoke.

Also, keep that door closed!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:55:02 PM EDT
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Squatch:
Yes.

They're pieces of shit. Mine is barely 3/4 of a year old, and it's already falling apart.

View Quote

The plastic on my door is cracking, looks like a large chunk is about to break off soon. Only had it a year and a half.

You don't get a smoke ring. Everything ends up tasting the same no matter the kind of wood you put in.

I'm a little under 50/50 for good smoked protein. Very little smoke taste or overwhelming everything else smoke taste.

Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:57:05 PM EDT
Originally Posted By HeyCoach:

The plastic on my door is cracking, looks like a large chunk is about to break off soon. Only had it a year and a half.

You don't get a smoke ring. Everything ends up tasting the same no matter the kind of wood you put in.

I'm a little under 50/50 for good smoked protein. Very little smoke taste or overwhelming everything else smoke taste.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Yes.

I agree with it being hard to get a smoke ring, but everything else my experiences are completely opposite.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 3:59:52 PM EDT
Yes.

View Quote

This They're great while they last but they don't last. I'm on my second dead one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:04:55 PM EDT
Originally Posted By David0858:

This They're great while they last but they don't last. I'm on my second dead one.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By David0858:
Yes.

I think most people agree with that. There biggest issue is that they are obviously not built for many years of use. If you catch them on sale or deep discount and get some years out of them it isnt a bad deal. In the end they are an insulated box with a heating element and some simple electronics. I dont know what goes into making them, but I think at the $300+ price point you could build something a little more robust.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:06:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SamBram:
Is it a digital one?

I love mine. Look into the amazen pellet smoker for true set it and forget it smoking. Otherwise you'll need to add chips every 45 mins or so.
View Quote
Amazen pellet smoker is an awesome accessory for it. I load it up with wood pellets and light it with my blow torch. The flames will go out after about ten minutes, and by then the smoker is up to temp. It'll smoke for 6hours if you leave the wood chip tray thingy pulled out a little bit. Make sure you don't drop much grease on the wood pellets, or they will go out. I'm really happy with my 40" smoker, but the other poster was right about the window being almost useless. I have done 50lbs on pork shoulder on mine, and it turned out awesome. Don't expect a huge smoke ring, but the simplicity of setting your temp and time and not really worrying about it is the best part.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 4:51:29 PM EDT
I had a gas one and it lasted maybe 2 years before the rust monster got it. Next one I get won't be disposable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:04:49 PM EDT
Thank you for the pros and cons guys.

I live in a rental and don't forsee being here very long. also wouldn't be smoking more than once a week for 3-4 months out of the year.

I think I'll take the gamble on the buck thirty it's running and give it a shot.

Is there anything I need to do to break it in?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:07:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mdguy90:
Thank you for the pros and cons guys.

I live in a rental and don't forsee being here very long. also wouldn't be smoking more than once a week for 3-4 months out of the year.

I think I'll take the gamble on the buck thirty it's running and give it a shot.

Is there anything I need to do to break it in?
View Quote

Bag of mesquite chips and a couple briskets.

I love mine!
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:13:16 PM EDT
Instead of using wood chips, you can get wood pellets at Amazon.com that work a lot better
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:16:00 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Cableman:

View Quote

My friend has one that he swears by.

I use a Weber Smokey Mountain, 18.5in.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:16:15 PM EDT
Have had one for 5 years. Amazing from it. Get an Amazin smoker insert.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:16:24 PM EDT
Buy a Weber Smokey Mountain.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:20:17 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ag04blast:

I agree with it being hard to get a smoke ring, but everything else my experiences are completely opposite.
View All Quotes
Yes.

what is a smoke ring?
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:22:14 PM EDT
I've had one for two years. It's good for pork butt. I did a turkey and it was pretty good. Ribs weren't so good. Can't get a good smoke ring and not enough smoke flavor on what we cook in it. Looking to replace it with a pellet grill.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:33:07 PM EDT

View Quote

This except do something better than a traeger
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:47:56 PM EDT
Save up for a Pellet Pro or a Traeger.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:49:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2016 5:53:14 PM EDT by wildearp]
Originally Posted By zeekh:

what is a smoke ring?
View All Quotes
Yes.

what is a smoke ring?

It is something that many BBQ competions are starting to ignore. It is too easy to fake.

"Like many proteins, myoglobin changes color permanently when it breaks down after exposure to heat. In beef the meat goes from purple to red to pink to gray at very specific temperatures, and that is what defines rare, medium rare, well done, etc. Once myoglobin breaks down, at about 170°F in beef and 100°F in tuna, the game is over, it cannot return to pink.
While meat is starting to cook, if NO or CO land on the surface and dissolve into the meat, they "fix" the color pink while the rest of the meat heats up and goes to gray. But NO and CO cannot diffuse very far beyond the surface before the meat beneath it heats up, dooming the myoglobin in the interior to a colorless fate. As a result, the pink forms a thin layer, the smoke ring, which usually only goes about 1/8" deep, although, under some circumstances, it can go up to 1/2" deep."

ref: Amazing ribs dot com
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 5:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2016 5:56:32 PM EDT by wildearp]
Originally Posted By 41magsnub:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 41magsnub:

Not at the pricepoint, quality, and the ease of use. Yoder is an example at 2 times the price and with an extended lead time.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:01:31 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:06:26 PM EDT

what is a smoke ring?
View All Quotes
Yes.

what is a smoke ring?

I'm still trying to figure that out.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 6:45:57 PM EDT
Alright I bought it. Now I need chips, probably want a aftermarket probe, and of course a big ol butt and some ribs.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:00:20 PM EDT
Originally Posted By mdguy90:
of course a big ol butt and some ribs.
View Quote

I was going to post a picture but the google search brought up pictures I can't unsee.
Link Posted: 6/21/2016 7:34:32 PM EDT
Control panel = gone.

Barely used the fucking thing.

Pure garbage.

Top Top