Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/19/2008 3:09:56 PM EDT
What's your stance on this? Would you buy your kid's first car or make them get a job, work and pay for it while in high school?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:13:27 PM EDT
Help them with thier first beater , but have the stipulation they have to work to pay for the insurance premiums.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:15:15 PM EDT
I have YET to have my parents pay for anything car related ... I was allowed to be under my parents for insurance purposes but had to pay them myself. Ive had a total of 7 vehicles in 13 years. I didnt get my drivers liscence till I was 17
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:15:48 PM EDT
get them the fastest car out there. if youre lucky, they wont be a problem in the future.

ive notice that if buy them everything, they begin to think they are entitled. If they have to EARN it, they will hopefully take care of it and appreciate that it took WORK to achieve what they have.

on the other hand, its your kids and your $$$. do what you think is best.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:16:08 PM EDT
I subsidize the purchase, insurance and maintenance based upon scholastic performance. Reward good performance. It works for me and mine.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:16:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DD977GM2:
Help them with thier first beater , but have the stipulation they have to work to pay for the insurance premiums.

+1 here
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 3:20:29 PM EDT by Skillshot]
Buy them a beater, pay their liability insurance until they get out of high school. By the time college rolled around they should have enough saved from the summer job to upgrade and pay their own insurance.

I know of many kids who get a BMW in HS, insurance paid, and a gas card all through college. If they didn't act so spoiled I'd be happy for them.

I was a little different - my dad and I fixed up a 70's muscle car for my first. His buddy gave me a free paint job (He said he'd mail me the bill but never did ) and his other buddy who owned an interior conversion shop, let me use his tools to do the interior and trim. When gas prices went up, I traded my dad this car for a small sedan, but I'm buying back the muscle car soon.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:17:12 PM EDT
I would help with the first, but they have to earn it, part time job or something along the line.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:18:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 3:20:54 PM EDT by Canned_Ham]
Make your booger eater get a job. Make them bust ass for a car they're statisticlly very likely to crash. I'd never buy a new driver a car. They're invariably gonna crash it, and you'll be left holding your dick. If anything, give them a loan with a steep interest rate so they can buy something and they can get to the job they're gonna have to pay it off. In the real world, you work for stuff, it's not given to you. Might as well teach your kid that lesson early.

Edit: I bought my first car, '87 Crown Vic, as a wrecker for salvage value, $50. It was totaled after a fender bender. Other than a slightly pushed in bumper, it was in great mechanical shape. I also paid my own insurance. I still sometimes with I still had it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:19:38 PM EDT
They should pay for it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:21:44 PM EDT

Originally Posted By estoves:
They should pay for it.

+1

And the insurance, gas maintenance etc.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:27:52 PM EDT
They will take better care of something they have to pay for. Lots of kids in high school beat the shit out of their parents cars.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:31:28 PM EDT
Do kids in the US set the insurance on the parents because its cheaper?
Almost everyone here those that, even though i am not sure if the insuranse company wouldn't count it as fraud if something would happen.
Much cheaper for persons over 25 to get an car insurance, but if a person under 25 drives it i would count it as fraud.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:34:48 PM EDT
My parents would not let me buy car until the end of college. I had to use one of theirs. They did not require me to pay for the insurance. It gave them a little more control over my whereabouts and they felt it helped me save money to put towards college expenses. I did not grow up demanding anything from them. I appreciate what they have done for me and I will do the same for my kids. I have three daughters and I do plan to have an extra vehicle that is affordable (beater in decent shape) that will be available for their needs. As long as they are responsible and respectful their costs would be minimal. Otherwise their freedoms will be restricted. We live out in the country and a vehicle = freedom.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:36:01 PM EDT
Buy there own car. I have seen that people take better care of stuff they bought, than items just given to them.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:44:07 PM EDT
I went to an auto auction to buy their first cars which they helped pay for. They were clunkers that ran. It was up to them to maintain and/or upgrade at their expense.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 3:45:03 PM EDT
My parents gave us a beater for our kids to drive. 10 year old Dodge Intrepid with 100K+. Blue book value $800.

The car belongs to my wife and I, and we are letting our daughters drive it. It is not 'their' car. But they are responsible for the gas they burn. They are also responsible for a portion of the insurance.

I will match their savings to help them purchase their first car.

A full college scholarship will get them a new car, courtesy of dad, though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:01:23 PM EDT
Build the car with the kid.

An old high school buddy worked a deal with his parents, he got to pick out the car at the junk yard, parents paid for the parts and him and his father rebuilt it from the ground up. He gained the knowledge of auto mechanics, had a great time with his father working on the project, and ended up with a baddest CJ5 I've been in.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:02:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:06:12 PM EDT
We bought our sons car. He worked for our small cleaning service so thats what helped him out. Our daughter, we bought that too and she is helping take care of the kids while we are out cleaning, when needed. That helps her there w/ that part. So I guess we bought both their cars but they are working a bit for it. Depends on your situation.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:07:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 4:11:39 PM EDT by drunkintoaster]
parents bought me a used truck said "you pay for gas and what ever you break or do to it and we will pay for the rest"
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:10:50 PM EDT
i bought my own truck, i was 17, the s-10 blazer was a 91, i paid 2 grand for it. paid my own insurance and every other cost associated with the car.

i turned out ok.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:11:15 PM EDT
parents paid everything for me, with the stipulation that I better get a college scholarship.
They figured it was better to let me concentrate on swimming and grades rather than working to keep a car going.

It seemed to work.
FWIWs, I will probably do the same thing.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:25:23 PM EDT
What I did was think I was saving up for a car then my parents bought me one because I had proved I was responsible
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:26:14 PM EDT
kids should have jobs by the end of freshman year regardless
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:27:11 PM EDT
I'm having to pay to entirely rebuild my '61 Scout.

Luckily having family friends in the automotive business helps lighten the load.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:38:38 PM EDT
We bought my son a new Corvette when he was in high school-really! (Asian mothers believe in spoiling their sons). It didn't spoil him too bad, because he is a Marine infantry Captain now.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:41:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Skillshot:
Buy them a beater, pay their liability insurance until they get out of high school. By the time college rolled around they should have enough saved from the summer job to upgrade and pay their own insurance.

I know of many kids who get a BMW in HS, insurance paid, and a gas card all through college. If they didn't act so spoiled I'd be happy for them.

I was a little different - my dad and I fixed up a 70's muscle car for my first. His buddy gave me a free paint job (He said he'd mail me the bill but never did ) and his other buddy who owned an interior conversion shop, let me use his tools to do the interior and trim. When gas prices went up, I traded my dad this car for a small sedan, but I'm buying back the muscle car soon.

My first car was a BMW. I payed for it myself, bought my own (premium) gas, and payed the insurance. It was about 10 years old when I bought it but fixing it myself and driving it turned me into a big BMW fan. It also made me appreciate what I had
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:43:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/19/2008 4:44:03 PM EDT by Snowdiver]
I want my kid to focus on his college. As long as he does well I will pay for everything. I don't want the distraction of working some entry level job interfere with his education.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:46:04 PM EDT
Make them work for it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:49:44 PM EDT
height=8
Originally Posted By operatorerror:
I subsidize the purchase, insurance and maintenance based upon scholastic performance. Reward good performance. It works for me and mine.

+1 Work hard.....Good pay

phydaux
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:52:01 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:58:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZekeMenuar:

They should pay for it.

+1

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:59:33 PM EDT
I didn't have my own vehicle till I was 20, and I paid my insurance on my folks cars too.
Fuck paying for a kids car! If they want it they'll work for it!
I didn't get a car, or college, or anything from my folks. I did it on my own.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:00:18 PM EDT
Well, I worked, saved and bought my first car, paid the insurance and gas (ok, dad had a gas pump on the ranch, so I would get gas at home mostly). I took care of my car because I EARNED it.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:01:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SuperSixOne:
What's your stance on this? Would you buy your kid's first car or make them get a job, work and pay for it while in high school?

Some things I WILL consider doing for my kid:

Buy first car.
Buy first home.

Some things I WILL NOT consider doing for my kid:

Pay for Automobile Insurance.
Pay for College.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:03:52 PM EDT
When I was 16 my Dad gave me a $500 '63 Chevy truck that got 7 mpg and leaked at least a quart of oil a day. It made me want to get a job and buy a better ride...which I did.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:07:01 PM EDT
They pay in full but you can help.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:10:51 PM EDT
I bought each of my daughters a nice used car, one that would get them through college. They had to pay for their insurance and gas.
I wanted them to concentrate on school and not have to worry about a job.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:12:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AllserviceBilliards:

Buy first car.
Buy first home.

Pay for College.

Not paying for college yet buying him/her a car/home? Care to elaborate?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:12:52 PM EDT
I'm paying for 3 years of a 5 year financing plan.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:18:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Snowdiver:
I want my kid to focus on his college. As long as he does well I will pay for everything. I don't want the distraction of working some entry level job interfere with his education.

+1

That's the attitude of my parents. I worked from Yr 10-11 ("sophomore" and "junior" years) and now I'm in my "senior" year, they say:

"School is your job - work hard and we'll take care of things, slack off and we'll make you work"

Then again, I am doing the rape-me-in-the-ass IB Diploma, so meh.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:29:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AllserviceBilliards:

Buy first car.
Buy first home.

Pay for College.

Not paying for college yet buying him/her a car/home? Care to elaborate?

Car: You need a car to get around. Suitable insurance is expensive enough for a 16-18 yo to learn to appreciate money. Besides, cars are (substantially) paid for once - insurance requires perpetual maintenance.

College: I went to college. College did not teach me to appreciate jack. College attempted to brainwash me into believing I need to pay someone to be able to formulate QUALITY OPINIONS. Also, I wish I had bought a house instead.

From a young age you are told that you need to go to school, study, and get good grades: if you do these things, you will get a good job, make plenty of money, never need to work physically, shit rainbows, and piss ice cream. It is a lie and I will not contribute a DIME to perpetuating the bullshit.

College is for three things: making a WHORE out of your daughters, getting your son laid, and getting into grad school, and I am not conviced that the former is worth either of the latter.

Questions? Comments? Complaints?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:38:26 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ZekeMenuar:

They should pay for it.

+1

+100

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:46:47 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DD977GM2:

+another one.

Help them out but I wouldnt pay for it outright, even if they only have a fraction of the purchase price it should cost them something. No job=No car. They need to pay for gas and maintanence.

And +a big 1 to the beater comment. First cars should not be particularly nice. Everyone needs a beater at least once in their lives. It builds charecter.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:49:27 PM EDT
You buy them the most embarrasing POS possible, something they will use to get back and forth to school/work but discourage other kids to ride with them and cruising. The chances of collision increase tremendously when other kids are passengers in the same car.

CDC Link
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:00:50 PM EDT
Give the kid a beater. If the kid crashes the car, they have to buy the next one. It is one of the costs of having children; if you do not want them to use you as a taxi service, you need to help them find a way to get around.

Most kids can not have a job and do well in school at the same time. School was a pretty big strain on me; my teachers sucked, the other kids sucked, etc. I really hated being there and wanted nothing more than to not go.

Getting work permits is a royal pain in the ass. My guidance counselor in high school was a real dickhead who denied me a work permit because he felt that I "didn't need one".

This guidance counselor refused to provide any further reason for denial of a work permit even when questioned by my parents. We were stonewalled by the school.

The best I was able to do was get summer jobs. That was enough for my financial needs. I never felt the need to drive when I was in high school.

Employers generally do not like employing kids because they are immature/irresponsible and the number of hours they are allowed to work are limited. Kids get treated like shit in the workplace anyway.

With liability concerns being what they are, it is easier for employers to stick to hiring adults. Most businesses won't talk to anyone who is under 16, work permit or not.

I hate driving. It's a necessary evil. I avoid driving unless I have to. I feel this way because of the inherent dangers of driving and because of the number of assholes on the road.

If it is any indication of what kind of driver I am, I always obey traffic laws including speed limits, I've never crashed a car, nor have I ever been pulled over in my entire life.

I didn't get my full license until I turned 21. My learner's permit period was 18 months, followed by my provisional period, another 18 months.

The hours of operation limits with a provisional license weren't applicable to me because I was already over 18.

Having provisionals in my case was just like having a full license except with increased penalties for moving violations (automatic suspension). You have to be 17 to get a provisional license and 18 to get a full license in my state.

I paid for Driver's Ed out of my own pocket because it was not offered in the high schools where I grew up. I ended up having to quit a job to take Driver's Ed because of a blowhard manager who refused to adjust my hours.

I'm still slightly annoyed after all these years that I had to go through so much bullshit just to attend Driver's Ed.

My parents gave me their old car because they wanted a new one for themselves. They pay the insurance on mine. I pay for the gas and maintenance.

The arrangement that my parents and I have works out. I use the car for employment-related activities and for errands, like picking up groceries. I don't use the car for recreation, socialization or other "fun" pursuits.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:06:26 PM EDT
Yup nothing like trying to pay a car loan if they can get one, gas, insurance, maintence, tires etc by working 30 hours a week at a job that pays less than $5 an hour take home

I did it and it sucked ass, my kids sure as hell wont be doing that.

Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:32:06 PM EDT
My parents gave each fo the 3 us kids a pretty new vehicle. Paid insurance, and some gas, mostly to get to school. After high school paid the rest, and he gave each of us $4k he had saved for each of us through the 18 years or whatever.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:46:45 PM EDT
I work and pay for half of my college tuition. Parents cover the other half. Deal was I complete my first year of college satisfactorily, I get a car. Got a 3.9 GPA first year. Got a $2500 Oldsmobile.

When I'm home I'm expected to be the slave labor for all the grand schemes my father can come up with though.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:49:16 PM EDT
oh man, i'm totally gonna get flamed.

i turned 16 in 1998. my parents bought me a used 1995 toyota pickup when i was 14. i couldn't drive it until i was 15 with my permit, and it was mine on my 16th birthday. i took VERY good care of that truck, and i actually still own it with 190,000 miles on the clock, almost 10 years later.

the deal was that i had to do good in school. i graduated with an advanced diploma and i took every advanced course there was to take. i took school VERY seriously and did well. i did not have a 4.0, but i didn't miss it by a whole lot.

with all the classes i was taking, and sports, i didn't have time for a job. and i guess my parents would rather me have spent the time getting a quality education vs. working for $5 per hour at a fast food joint.

i did not even have to work during college, but i chose to. i worked almost 40 hours a week while taking 21 credit hours almost every semester.

i will buy my child a decent automobile if and when i ever have a kid.

i would rather them have a quality education and then get a GOOD job when they are done.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top