Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/18/2006 5:12:53 PM EDT
I am in the market for a 700PSS and a Sig 229R but I'm joining a federal agency here within the next 6-8 months.  Do members of federal agencies get discounts on firearms?  Would I be better off waiting till after I graduate?
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#1]
No discount that I'm aware of, unless your agency has a purchase program arranged with a dealer or Mfg.  
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 11:55:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Sih does have some sort of LEO program, though it recently changed and is no where as good as it used to be (IIRC free night sights and extra mags)
AFAI Remmy has no LEO program.  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 7:11:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Depending on what agency you are going to be in you may be issued the P229R. As for the 700 check the equipment exchange as it seems someone is always selling one. You may do better just waiting and checking out a police supply when you get your badge.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Some dealer's around here give you a discount if you are LE, all you have to have is your comission card, and state certification card with you.

Even with this when I got back from working the hurricanes none of the gun shops had any "LE discount" pistols in.  I just paid an extra $50 and bought one that day.  

There is a Federal Tax that is exempt from the LEO discount weapons, same gun, just no Federal tax is what the dealer told me.  And it is up to each gun shop if they want to mess with these weapons.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#5]
ChickenKiller,  the Federal Tax exemption is only for Department purchases not individual law enforcement officer purchases. RnR
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
ChickenKiller,  the Federal Tax exemption is only for Department purchases not individual law enforcement officer purchases. RnR

+1 on this. I bought my first duty weapon this way, department letterhead but the dealer and chief both explained that since I was going to own it, I did the paperwork and had to pay FET!

Law hasn't changed, just some dealers are "sloppy" and doing this illegally.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 1:52:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Letterhead if your agency allows you to carry it as a primary or back up weapon.  Most federal agencies have strict policies on what you can carry.  If they do not allow you to carry your personal weapon for either one of these applications then they won't sign off for you.  Find a good local guy who likes LEOs and he will hook you up.  10% around here usually.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top