Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 2:46:02 PM EDT
What in the hell is this stuff And WTF is it used for? Ya can't drink it, found that out after regaining conciseness.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:47:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I've never understood people who drink butter milk.  I use it in baking though.  Good stuff in potatoes, cakes, ranch dressing, chicken....yum!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Its good for cooking. I'm not sure who found that out first though, the smell and taste are pretty bad by itself.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:48:25 PM EDT
[#3]
[Monty Python] Bet you're gay. [/Monty Python]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Pancakes!

Isn;t eggnog made with it too?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:49:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It's good in pancakes and biscuits and I soak chicken pieces in it before flouring and frying 'em.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:51:21 PM EDT
[#6]
pancakes.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I can see it used for cooking but my dad (an Okie) used to drink that crap like water.  

Smells like it went bad a month ago and has the viscosity of cold motor oil.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:53:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Cornbread
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Cornbread and homemade bread, otherwise ---->
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Homemade Cornbread broken up in a glass with Buttermilk poured over it is the best thing in the world.

Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
web.fastermac.net/~twist/Pics/MrHorse.jpg

Haha, that was a great show!!!
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:33:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Biscuits and cornbread.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:44:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Homemade Cornbread broken up in a glass with Buttermilk poured over it is the best thing in the world.

My dad did that and I just could not bring myself to try it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:54:41 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My dad did that and I just could not bring myself to try it.

You ought to try it. I learn to eat it that way from my dad. Its pretty good. I think it tastes best with hot fried cornbread and ice cold buttermilk.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#16]
I love the stuff..  A dash of fresh pepper tops it nicely..
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#17]
One of my parents favorite evening snacks is popcorn and buttermilk.  

They also like melted cheddercheese drizzled on top of a slice of apple pie, with a glass of buttermilk.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:42:06 AM EDT
[#18]
I like Butter Milk with Biscuits
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:45:36 AM EDT
[#19]
I think it tastes pretty good.  Doesn't have that "Greasy" aftertaste that I get from whole milk.  Buttermilk trivia:  It's lower in calories than even lowfat milk.  Sprinkle a little salt on the top sometime and give it a try.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:46:40 AM EDT
[#20]
nectar of the gods,

<-------
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:47:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Best use of the word "buttermilk" in a movie...

"I will PT you all until you fucking die. I'll PT you until your assholes are sucking buttermilk."
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#22]
When I cook for my Masonic Lodge, and I make cornbread, I always use buttermilk.

Well, I buy a half gallon and there is always at least a glass left....

So, I drink it.

Not bad, not bad, at all.

Tastes like unsweetened yogurt.

Eric The(OldTime)Hun
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:50:37 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
One of my parents favorite evening snacks is popcorn and buttermilk.  

They also like melted cheddercheese drizzled on top of a slice of apple pie, with a glass of buttermilk.[XX(]

That was a favorite of my late father.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#24]
After a hot summer days work a quart of the cold buttermilk goes down sooooo good, Damn near a religous experience.  

My favorite buttermilk float,  take barbecue lays potato chips and fill a large tumbler, packed lightly, fill with ice cold buttermilk.  Makes my lilroot hard just thinkin bout it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:57:39 AM EDT
[#25]
My grandfather used to drink the "Bulgarian Style" buttermilk every night before he went to bed.  

Bulgarian Style = Extra Chunky
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:05:33 AM EDT
[#26]
I like it. I haven't had any in awhile, but I'm gettin a hankerin. Buttermilk with cornbread crumbled up in it, is fine stuff. Also, if you have taken antibiotics sometimes  they will kill the good bacteria in your intestines, leaving you with the shits. A qt. of whole BM, will replace the bacteria, and the shits will go away. FYI........ Yep, gotta go get some now.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:06:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Got so excited I double tapped
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#28]

Buttermilk comes from here.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:49:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Well chocolate syrup and butter milk, will make you have seizures. Off to find some sulfuric acid to drink to get that taste out of my mouth.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:47:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Fat free buttermilk is my preferred post-workout drink.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Absolutely!! I miss buttermilk! Hard to find out here in Arizona, but everybody (almost) back in my home state of Kentucky either drinks it ( like I do) or cooks with it.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:52:47 PM EDT
[#32]
It gives pancakes and waffles a delicious zing.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#33]
It's an acquired taste.  One quart and I'd gotten it, after years of thinking it was gross.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:12:16 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Buttermilk comes from here.

www.shorthorn.org/_Shorthorn/Documents/Shorthron%20bull.jpg

No shit. That is some nasty stuff.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:12:39 PM EDT
[#35]
I soak chicken wings in buttermilk for at least a few hours before cooking them.

It is one of Emeril's recipes.

Best wings I ever had.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I like it.

there is also a turkish drink that I like.. i guess kinda similar.  Its half plain yogurt, half water, and some salt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:53:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Give it a shot with Fritos Corn Chips - really tasty.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I like it.

there is also a turkish drink that I like.. i guess kinda similar.  Its half plain yogurt, half water, and some salt.

That's "Lassi", it's an Indian drink (stolen by the Muslims).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#39]
I won't drink buttermilk straight (nasty stuff), but it's great in recipes.  I let chicken soak in it before I bread it and fry it.

My understanding is that what we buy in the stores now isn't really buttermilk anymore.  
Real buttermilk is the thin liquid left over after churning butter, but the stuff in the stores now is artificially made from milk by adding enzymes or flavorings or something.  Really old recipes that call for buttermilk don't work right anymore.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

My favorite buttermilk float,  take barbecue lays potato chips and fill a large tumbler, packed lightly, fill with ice cold buttermilk.  Makes my lilroot hard just thinkin bout it.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:29:00 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like it.

That's "Lassi", it's an Indian drink (stolen by the Muslims).

And that is darn good stuff - had a mango one in the local Indian restaurant a week ago.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:32:19 AM EDT
[#42]
Used to drink it years ago when dad picked up a pint.  Got used to the taste.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#43]
I have some once in a while, small glass with salt & pepper on top.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:04:15 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I won't drink buttermilk straight (nasty stuff), but it's great in recipes.  I let chicken soak in it before I bread it and fry it.

My understanding is that what we buy in the stores now isn't really buttermilk anymore.  
Real buttermilk is the thin liquid left over after churning butter, but the stuff in the stores now is artificially made from milk by adding enzymes or flavorings or something.  Really old recipes that call for buttermilk don't work right anymore.

Interesting... didn't know that.  But yeah, I love biscuits, pancakes and other baked items made with buttermilk.  I've never been able to bring myself to drink it, though.  Some of the things that I've seen here (bread, cornbread, popcorn, etc., in buttermilk) has brought back memories of my Grandparents.  My Mom still does that sort of thing from time to time.  I also remember when I was a kid, and a friend of mine spent the weekend with his GM.  She gave him some cereals for breakfast and she had put buttermilk in them.  From the way he talked about it, I took it that it somewhat caught  him off guard in a bad way.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:12:38 AM EDT
[#45]
I had a bhang lassi and I walked around Hyderabad all messed up for 5 hours. Good times.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I love the stuff..  A dash of fresh pepper tops it nicely..

I drink mine with salt. YUM
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:35:02 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Not quite.  It still is made from butter, only the reason they add active cultures is to get the authentic flavor.  You see, when old-fashioned butter was churned from cream, it got warm from the mechanical work.  This made the storage life of the butter compromised so modern butter is done in a temperature-controlled process, keeping the bacterial growth to a minimum.  After the final churn, the butter is removed from the buttermilk and then is Pasturized, killing most bacteria and making the product last longer.

Since the produced buttermilk is much lower in bacterial count, it has to be "spiked" for that old flavor, then it is matured and then Pasturized for longer shelf life.

If you have an old recipie that will not work with buttermilk, you need to let it age some more so the bacteria count increases and the pH drops.  That is the secret to using buttermilk.  The stuff we get these days is too "clean".
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:36:35 AM EDT
[#48]
I like buttermilk, tastes similiar to watered down yogurt & cottage cheese
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:47:12 AM EDT
[#49]
buttermilk biscuits, buttermilk pancakes, buttermilk battered chicken... Mmm.

I tried it straight, and it is pretty much like watered down unsweetened yogurt.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:58:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Jeez, what a bunch of weenies....if ya can't handle buttermilk you probably ain't been weaned off momma yet.

Try being a QC tech at a milk processing plant, and having to climb up on top of an 8000 gallon tank to take samples to see if the buttermilk was set yet, at 3:00am.
The initial vapors when you open up the tank lid will almost knock you off the catwalk.

But after its packaged , dang that's good stuff...in moderation. Some of the guys working the machines would drink it by the 1/2 gallon.

Oh...and if your cornbread ain't made with buttermilk, then you just wasted a bunch of cornmeal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top