Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2002 10:53:19 AM EDT
Some guys showed up to install some sprinlers in my yard and busted the gas line.  You should have seen it!!!  the gas came out like a big blast of white steam.  Right now Sierra Pacific is fixing it.  Anyone else seen this?  It made my morning.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Some guys showed up to install some sprinlers in my yard and busted the gas line.  You should have seen it!!!  the gas came out like a big blast of white steam.  Right now Sierra Pacific is fixing it.  Anyone else seen this?
View Quote

I missed it, but only 'cause I don't have a window in my office that faces west.  That, and it's a little far for the naked eye to see...
[:D]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
You been out there sniffin' it haven't you?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 10:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You been out there sniffin' it haven't you?
View Quote

I tried but it's dispersed pretty widely by the time wind blows it my way.  Sure, it's an act of desperation but they took all my white-out from me years back.  [:D]
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#4]
go light a stick on fire and throw it at the gas main leak.

run away, fast.

it's important that you run.

OffRoad
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:06:07 AM EDT
[#5]
got any tracers?

edited to say *I do not condone shooting tracers at leaking gas mains in you front yard*
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Some guys showed up to install some sprinlers in my yard and busted the gas line.  You should have seen it!!!  the gas came out like a big blast of white steam.  Right now Sierra Pacific is fixing it.  Anyone else seen this?  It made my morning.
View Quote

Well I didn't see yours but,

Last Monday Feb. 4th  they were digging across the street at the water tower (about 200yds away from the plant).  Next to the water tower is the natural gas station.  It has 3 large tanks, about 6' in diameter and about 60' long.  Anyway, they were told that there was no gas lines in the area they were digging.  And of course they popped a 6" main line.  The entire plant was evacuated in about 5 minutes.  I was on the shitter and when I walked out the baffroom the lights were off and the doors were locked.  (could you envision the building getting blown up with me still sitting on the can?)

What the Fuck!!!!!!  I unlocked the door walked out into the plant and my maintenence man was running around shutting everything down.  "What the hell are you doing?" I yelled.  He said there was a gas leak and we were being evacuated.  So I walked outside, and 200 yds from where I was standing there was a geyser of gas about 50' in the air.  The sound was very loud.  So we hopped in our cars and hauled ass.  They shut down the whole area, electricity and all.  The leak started about 2:30pm and they didn't stop the leak until about 10:00am the next morning.  We couldn't get back in the plant till 5:00pm the next day.

You know a lot of cash went out that pipe.  You could smell the gas in the air 1 mile downtown.  Very pungent.  What a bunch of dumbasses.  You think someone lost a job?
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:22:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I am a utility locator and see this often.  A few months ago a crew doing some test borings in a roadway drilled right into a 6"hp main.  Loud as all hell!  Stunk the place up real bad.  Mostly I see damaged sevice lines though.  
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Still have a front yard?

Don't worry, since it's not a street, they may not be back next week to dig it all up again.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 2:56:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Repairing gas leaks is what I do for a living. I see it every day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top