Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/21/2001 5:50:04 PM EDT
This is completely unbelievable.

Jim Ellis Volkswagen of Atlanta has filed suit against an unhappy customer for his posts of personal experiences on a VW enthusiasts message board.

Here is the AJC article:
[url]www.accessatlanta.com/ajc/epaper/editions/saturday/metro_b36fb002844b70b60008.html[/url]

The thread, which has EXPLODED with activity within the past several days (he was issued a summons on 11/19) is here:

[url]forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=52126&page=1[/url]

It's a bit of a long read, but it's VERY interesting.  I figured everyone here, especially those from the big ATL such as myself would want to know about it.
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, I thought this was KMA(RGUNS) getting his usual attitude!
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
The difference here would be that they [b]actually filed suit.[/b]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 8:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/21/2001 9:07:55 PM EDT
[#4]
As some one who's worked at dealerships for the last 13 years, I can tell you this guy went about it all wrong. He should have went straight to the top. The general manager should have been brought down, shown the dirty seats, then told of his three trips down there, and then he should have mentioned calling VW about the situation. Since he did none of these things, he's screwed! He'll learn the hard way, I guess?
Link Posted: 11/22/2001 12:09:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Spend a great deal of time in court - occupational hazard (and no Im not an attorney or a mobster). So, unlike the average American, Im under no illusions concerning our legal system, nor am I particularly intimidated by it. If you know where not to step, you wont get shit on your shoe.

Always amazed at the number of idiots who file suit against my corporation, resulting in judgment against themselves. In a fair number of cases, they fail to appear at all. This is an action they've initiated. Guess what happens. My point is, unless you are absolutely sure you are in the right, legally (meaning get a competent attorney), and willing to pursue the issue vigorously, your best bet is NOT to pursue an issue in the courts. Seems to me this is a intimidation ploy, because I don’t think they’ve got a legal pot to piss in. But hey, as I said, Im no attorney.

This VW dealership may find out even if they win out in court they loose. This guy may be the biggest ass in the world (I cant really get a read from one side) but they are doing a damn good job of making his case. They look petty and vindictive. The damn issue has even made it to the AR15 board- its burning up the auto sites. Even if they win it’ll never get the distribution his side did. And if they don’t…

Luck
Alac

When its all said and done, being right may be more expensive than you think.

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#6]
--This morning Jimmy Ellis, Vice President of Jim Ellis Auto Dealerships ordered that the lawsuit against Mr. Mantis be dropped. He has called for a meeting with Mr Mantis and his attorney to attempt a resolution. We hope that we can resolve this issue that has been upsetting to all parties. Any comments are welcome to [email protected]

Found this near the end of the posts. No idea why they ever thought suing their customer was a good idea.

Luck
Alac

Link Posted: 11/22/2001 2:23:51 AM EDT
[#7]
My point is, unless you are absolutely sure you are in the right, legally...
View Quote

Which has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not you will win.

Eddie
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top